Fan Clutch On Small Block

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Hey guys was thinking about putting a fan clutch on my dart will that help my motor run a little cooler? or help with anything let me know thanks!

As opposed to.....?

Lots of people use fan clutches on here.

I have the original clutch fan on a 416 cu in .I drove it the other day when it was 90
outside in town and it never went over 190.Original radiator

As opposed to.....?

Lots of people use fan clutches on here.

Well as opposed to not having one at all. Whats the benefit of using one? Does it help with cooling the motor while idling for a while? I currently do not have one and was trying to find out it be worth buying

I wouldn't think adding one to a car that doesn't have one would help it cool (since the fan is already turning as fast as it's going to)

...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm pretty sure the clutch was intended to slip when the ambient air is at a lower temp so it doesn't rob power from the engine.

Well as opposed to not having one at all. Whats the benefit of using one? Does it help with cooling the motor while idling for a while? I currently do not have one and was trying to find out it be worth buying

The two posts above this tell it all.

depends on your engine,tune,rad etc.
a fan clutch is a power saver by slipping at higher engine speeds.Even at idle they only turn about 85% of your crank speed so if cooling is marginal a solid fan is better

... if cooling is marginal a solid fan is better
But most clutch fans have more blades and are thicker so even turning 85%, they may move more air at idle. If you want the very most airflow, you can get a spacer that fits a clutch fan to the w.p. without a clutch, but that will rob power. Just to solve the "not enough cooling at idle" problem, an electric assist fan might be better, and it especially helps if you have AC. Indeed, it is used just for AC in my 1980's M-B cars.

this can get complicated.
..7 blades may actually block air flow at highway speeds and i believe there was a bulletin
to solve a highway cooling problem with the 7 blade units on the Superbirds.

Hey guys was thinking about putting a fan clutch on my dart will that help my motor run a little cooler?

Not one tiny bit. Putting a clutch on your current fan will allow it to slip, and if the current set-up is running hot, the slipping fan could actually drive it into overheat.
Now, if the fan-clutch comes on a different, more efficient, fan; thats a different story.
Does yours run hot?How hot?What is too hot?When is it hot:idle, cruise, sub 30 mpg, highway, racing, etc?Whats your combo? What have you tried?

Fan clutches use a fan with large open center mount.

Cooling problems often happen if hood to radiator support seal is not intact. The seal is there to force the front air through the radiator. The fan shroud and fan spacing are important for proper air flow.

Retarded timing at cruise can overheat an engine, it results in fuel burned too late, heating heads and exhaust, raising underhood temperatures. The retarded timing results from stuck advance, improper setting, to lack of, or broke vacuum advance.

Too much antifreeze in the water mix ratio results in less cooling, it has less specific heat for thermal transfer.

-
Back