Fan question

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Morning folks,
Hope all our buds up in the New England states are doing ok today. Be glad it hit as a Cat 1 storm. One can only imagine what a Cat 3 or 4 might do...

Anyhow, I have a couple questions regarding the cooling fan. I have a choice of two that came off parts cars. Pic attached. Both are 18" fans. Which will do a better job of cooling?
Second. I would like to use a fan clutch. Will I have to get a different fan? I am familiar with old GM tech, a different fan was used in those applications. Just wondering if that was the case for us.
Thanks,
C

Attachments

• DSC00523 (Medium).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 161
Get rid of the stainless steel flex fan. They do break from time to time. Plus they do not work well with a fan clutch. Sand and paint the OEM fan.

Neither of those will work with a clutch at ALL. The center holes are way too small. The clutch fan is a completely different beast. It has to have a center hole large enough to slip over the flange that bolts to the water pump. Usually about 2" or so. Also, if you're wantin to know which of those two will cool better, the one on the right. It's not a flex fan, so it will use more power, but it wil cool like a sumbee.

Thanks guys, I have my afternoon project now!
C

-
Back