fantasy 360 stroker build

-

Pine Tree Mopar

Mopar Maine-iac
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm fairly new to the site, but I've been skulking around in the shadows most everyday. Seems like a great bunch of people here, with a lot of information available. I've been watching everyone else having all the fun posting, so I guess it's my time to play. I'm currently gathering parts for my interior, and next year I will be doing the motor. It's a 360, which brings me to my post. If you could build a 360 stroker, with any components you wanted, what would you put in it? Here's a few guidelines to go by. Pump gas so around 10:1 comp, .030 over, carb'd, 2800-3200 stall, 4:11 rear, mostly street, but will be occasionally running 1/8 mile. I'll be getting ideas for my motor, from what I see here, so have fun and let's see what you come up with. Tim

If I were to build one for my car, Callies crank, eagle rods, Diamond pistons moderate sized roller cam, ported iron heads stock iron intake and a big Thermoquad. I like my cars to look stock though.

I would agree with Adam on the crank,rods and pistons. I think I would go with a set of ported Aluminum Magnum R/T 2.02 heads and gasket matched AirGap intake with a roller cam in the 240 @ 50 range with a big Holley on top. I would also zero deck the pistons. This would allow you to get up around 11.5 : 1 compression on pump gas.

Jack

You will need a dished piston to keep the compression down A flat at zero deck will be over 12:1

You guys are just little girls! Stay on the porch if ya can't run with the big dogs!

Here is my plan:

440ci about 650hp
LA Mopar Resto Block
4.200 Bore
4.00 Stroke
Indy 360-1CNC 245 Heads
Indy 360-2 Intake
Schubeck Lifters
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Hughes Cam HEH5561AL 255/[email protected] .632/.646 lift
1000 CFM Race Demon Carb
Wiseco 13.5 to 1 Pistons

Of course, $20K might cover it.

I'd use the Hughes 426 stroker kit....that thing would make a wicked street motor.

That is one of the reasons I said go with the Magnum heads Pine Tree Mopar. They are the equipped for the roller cam right out of the box. I would make sure that the heads have the good springs in them. Here is a site that will help you understand the Magnum heads better. www.bigblockranger.com/Magnum.html As far as a cam and lifters go, most any of the big names will do, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Comp Cams.

Also, there is a member at moparts.com by the name of Patrick that knows these things inside out.

Another good source of info is one of our more helpful members here. BJR Racing.

Jack

You guys are just little girls! Stay on the porch if ya can't run with the big dogs!

Here is my plan:

440ci about 650hp
LA Mopar Resto Block
4.200 Bore
4.00 Stroke
Indy 360-1CNC 245 Heads
Indy 360-2 Intake
Schubeck Lifters
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Hughes Cam HEH5561AL 255/[email protected] .632/.646 lift
1000 CFM Race Demon Carb
Wiseco 13.5 to 1 Pistons

Of course, $20K might cover it.

Well I could spec him a race motor no problem but its gonna suck buying 112 octane race fuel and wondering why its a dog with those 410 gears and tight converter.

:headbang:

My motor would be more fun, with a 4000 coverter and 4.56 gears! Of course he would have to change his underwear every half hour. I figure it should be good for 9.99 in the 1/4 with the right tires. =P~

My 318 dart ran 9's with a 513 spool out back and a 3500 stall I thought you said you ran with the big boys?? LOL Just ribbin ya a little, flyboy01, my 318 was warmed up just a bit....hehe....

Oh, yeah, how about a Eagle 4140 forged, in an early casting with Eagle H beam rods and JE pistons, comp thumpr and a pair of Eddies prepped by someone like Gromm racing or Angie at Mopar Engines West? with an rpm air gap. Hughes 426 kit does look wicked, though. If I had the bucks I'd love to run the oval port indy's. But now we're talking the difference between daily driven and monthly rippin'.

Hi Mike,

I have heard good things about Angie's work. I forgot which program she went through but either way, I am sure Rich is very proud of his little girl. Do you have any real world/personal experience with her work? If so, I would love to hear it.

Cheers!

i have a 1978 powerwagon with 4 speed married 203 transfer the first build my 318 stock second build 318 bored .30 360 heads with decking added 340 4 bbl intake with 600 holley new cam with low end torgue with a ceramic racing clutch grant ya this the truck is all time 4x4 added 510 gears in both rears its not good on gas but it will bring the pavement when launched from a red light and as far as those chevys fords and toyotas there is nothing that has stopped it yet when hook bumper to bumper they snap driveshafts break axles and had a ford blowup trying to pull this powerwagon far as tires go 33x12.50x 15 keep it low and ya can pull anything as far as a buildup for a 360 go with a cam that has low end torgue but a good mid range rpm

Adam and Flyboy, I actually did consider a 3500+ stall, and 4:56 gears, and still may go that way. I don't mind paying for a little more gas, as most of my driving will be locally. My goal for the strip is low to mid 7's in the 1/8th.

Flyboy, I guess I better start wearing them :bootysha: or it'll suck buying new jeans every 1/2 hour.

Jack, Thanks for the link. Good reading there. So much has changed since I used to race in the early 70's. Back then you could get away with just sticking a cheater cam in, headers and a bigger carb, and "beating the snot outta it". This will be my first complete motor build-up, so I have a lot of listening to do.

Hi Mike,

I have heard good things about Angie's work. I forgot which program she went through but either way, I am sure Rich is very proud of his little girl. Do you have any real world/personal experience with her work? If so, I would love to hear it.

Cheers!

Actually, Angie is Dave Timmons daughter of Dave's Engine Machining. I heard a lot about her work in the 90's when they were primarily a Chevy shop. My friend lived next door to them. Dave has an awesome Anglia. Dave and Rich partnered together for the current Mopar Engines West.

Bottom line is you should have your heads done at Mopar Engines West if you can afford it. Pleasant folks to talk to as well. They know their sh#t and you'll read about them in the Mopar magazines as well.

Actually, Angie is Dave Timmons daughter of Dave's Engine Machining. I heard a lot about her work in the 90's when they were primarily a Chevy shop. My friend lived next door to them. Dave has an awesome Anglia. Dave and Rich partnered together for the current Mopar Engines West.

Bottom line is you should have your heads done at Mopar Engines West if you can afford it. Pleasant folks to talk to as well. They know their sh#t and you'll read about them in the Mopar magazines as well.

Ok, for some reason I thought she was Rich's daughter. Trashard340, have you had any personal dealings with Angie's work? I am familiar with MEWs work but am also familiar with Shady Dell's work back East (and shipping the heads is not an issue). MEW is known for lots of interesting Mopar builds. Shady Dells is known specifically for their Mopar Small block head work. Thanks for the reply.

GTX, I have a friend who has used MEW. His experience was..less than perfect. And the engine had issues. Oiling issues that are basic to even builders such as myself and have well publicized modifications for. But... In terms of head work, Angie did one heck of a job, and to be honest, Ryan at Shady Dell sold him the heads with some of his port work. She saw it, made a few adjustments that my buddy was concerened about, but after he and I talked I agreed with what she was saying, I have to say, she was dead right, and the heads are very, very good. I'm not in a league with either builder in terms of experience, and I dont have first hand info. It came from pictures and 2nd hand conversations I was party to. So please dont think I'm sticking my nose in the air. But it's not the first issues I've heard about with them recently. MEW has had some changes in the past year or two, and from what I saw in my friend's engine, I would not look to them to build a serious short block. Heads, yes. Short block, no.

Moper, thank you for the feedback. I am always looking for additional info so I can make up my mind who to use for different services I need. I have spoken with Rich in the past but will try and get ahold of Angie directly.

Hey all. I'm fairly new to the site, but I've been skulking around in the shadows most everyday. Seems like a great bunch of people here, with a lot of information available. I've been watching everyone else having all the fun posting, so I guess it's my time to play. I'm currently gathering parts for my interior, and next year I will be doing the motor. It's a 360, which brings me to my post. If you could build a 360 stroker, with any components you wanted, what would you put in it? Here's a few guidelines to go by. Pump gas so around 10:1 comp, .030 over, carb'd, 2800-3200 stall, 4:11 rear, mostly street, but will be occasionally running 1/8 mile. I'll be getting ideas for my motor, from what I see here, so have fun and let's see what you come up with. Tim
I'm not an engine builder so I got one from www.blueprintengines.com.

p1010002my408new.jpg

p1010004dynosheet.jpg

I'm not an engine builder so I got this from www.blueprintengines.com. The info is on there web page.

p1010002my408new.jpg

p1010004dynosheet.jpg

Wellll, I'm late to the thread.

I'd do;

Adams shortblock idea. If theres better ods, like Oliver etc...they would get the nod. Theough the resto block would be used.
Then Flyboy01's top off plan. Except carb size would probably be smaller, or at least not a Holley Dom. carb. (950 hp?)

Roller cam!!!!!!!!!!!!
With a duration to fit the car and idea of it while looking to use a MAX lifting of the valves for full use of the heads flow.

Ok, for some reason I thought she was Rich's daughter. Trashard340, have you had any personal dealings with Angie's work? I am familiar with MEWs work but am also familiar with Shady Dell's work back East (and shipping the heads is not an issue). MEW is known for lots of interesting Mopar builds. Shady Dells is known specifically for their Mopar Small block head work. Thanks for the reply.

I have not had any work done myself but have friends that have had work done by them. Unfortunately, I cannot back up any of the work wiht data. But I can say that the 2 people (3 motors) that I knew had work done by her were very satisfied with the results. 1 motor was a 400 hp street driven 350 Chevy. The others were Mopar, an 800 HP 383 and high 10 sec 318 on juice, both high compression motors and not street friendly. GTXperience, you are right though, from what I hear, Angie did take a class/seminar run by a highly reputable racer/engine builder. I don't remember the name.

Angie went to Mondelo's school, and yeah, I have a friend with a dodge van called beastie who introduced me to Dave Timmons years ago. I lived in Newark for 15 years, and I know quite a few people who have gotten top notch work from them. You will get exactly what you pay for from them, and they are VERY exacting about every single detail of the build. If you are serious, give them a call, often as not Angie answers the phone herself and you will get the idea when she explains how they go about it. If I had the bucks I'd have them do my work. They are out of my range right now. Interesting to note that MEW had the highest HP and TQ in a recent build off, as well.

-
Back