Fastback cargo area

-

harrytoes

Reaction score
While the car is in the body shop i have been repainting and touching up interior pieces. i want to repaint the side panels in the cargo area. But the are a textured look. How do I get rid of the scratches and keep the textured look

side panel.JPG

side panel close up.JPG

There is a place in N.J. that sells Mopar interior paint. I painted spots on my dash and it blended very well. The secret is to keep you nozzle about 12" from your work area. I will try to find the ticket for the name (I think it was Mopaint?)

Jim

While the car is in the body shop i have been repainting and touching up interior pieces. i want to repaint the side panels in the cargo area. But the are a textured look. How do I get rid of the scratches and keep the textured look

Why would you want to paint these? All the fastbacks I have seen these parts were covered in a vinyl or carpet material? ....

bh269.JPG

There was some models that didn't come with carpet on the sides just the seat and the cargo area. Mine is one of them that didn't. I'm in the process of making my mind up if I want to get the sides carpeted or not. My side panels are in good condition but don't look new of course. But after seeing above picture I might go that route.

Interesting, I did not know that. I have always seen them covered with some form of interior covering and have never seen or known them to be bare metal. Here is one now of my 67 I owned in the past for those considering covering them.

zz4.JPG

Cars with deluxe interior got the carpet, cars with the standard interiors did not. I think the carpet looks cleaner.

Cars with deluxe interior got the carpet, cars with the standard interiors did not. I think the carpet looks cleaner.

I've had 2 fastbacks, both had carpeting in the cargo area, with vinyl side panels. Adam is right about the custom interior.

I also like the looks of the carpet on the side panels, btw.

I like the carpet much better than the standard panel.

Where can you buy the carpet for the side panels?

Thanks,

I got mine from here: http://www.dantesparts.com/partsforsale.html Ask him for the "TRIM PARTS" carpet set. It had a super nice fit, if you have a console, the console carpet set is sold separately. Check the price on the trim parts website first and usually Dante's can match or beat it out. Plus Dante is a super nice guy to deal with. Quick responses on email as well. I have dealt with him numerous times with no problems. He stands behind what he sells. (No, I dont work for him...LOL Just had great service and will tell that to anyone!) I will say that he will most likely try to sell you a different brand of carpet "ACC" I believe only because he stocks it. After reading a lot of posts the Trim Parts Carpet was of the best quality. I was pleased with it. It had a lot of "extra" material for a nice "trim to fit" in my car. Some carpet sets come up short and have ill fit. Not the case here....Ok, done rambling...:)

i dont know if its still available, but rustoleum made/makes a spraypaint that is textured. i used a couple of cans and it worked fairly well.

I got mine from here: http://www.dantesparts.com/partsforsale.html Ask him for the "TRIM PARTS" carpet set. It had a super nice fit, if you have a console, the console carpet set is sold separately. Check the price on the trim parts website first and usually Dante's can match or beat it out. Plus Dante is a super nice guy to deal with. Quick responses on email as well. I have dealt with him numerous times with no problems. He stands behind what he sells. (No, I dont work for him...LOL Just had great service and will tell that to anyone!) I will say that he will most likely try to sell you a different brand of carpet "ACC" I believe only because he stocks it. After reading a lot of posts the Trim Parts Carpet was of the best quality. I was pleased with it. It had a lot of "extra" material for a nice "trim to fit" in my car. Some carpet sets come up short and have ill fit. Not the case here....Ok, done rambling...:)

Did you install it yourself or have someone to do it?

I'm thinking that I can install the cargo area myself and maybe you can hit me with a few tips.

Also I believe some carpet places sell it by the yard.

Did you install it yourself or have someone to do it?

I'm thinking that I can install the cargo area myself and maybe you can hit me with a few tips.

Also I believe some carpet places sell it by the yard.

I installed it all myself. It was a pretty easy job, just time consuming. Make sure you have about 6-8 clamps handy when you go to do this job, actually the more the merrier. With more, you can get the job done quicker. This way you can spray on your 3M glue, clamp it and forget it till try. I never could have dont it without the clamps.

Are those "textured" panels not vynil on steel like the 67 hard seat backs ?
If so there is a way to repair the scratches.

Have to agree with suregrip391, I've owned many fastbacks over the years, and none I've owned, or seen, had bare metal panels. Vinyl was the basic interior covering, and the ones that had carpet did come with the carpet.

Grant

My 67 has no vinyl or carpet in the fastback trunk area, they just have a black texture finish to it.

Both of mine had steel, painted textured panels. My current car has no indication of carpet ever on the side panels. Both cargo areas had the trim for, and had carpet in the rest of the cargo area.

I was not the original owner of either, however.

I hope we get to the bottom of what is correct. There is a similar thread somewhere in this forum.

Either way, the carpet looks great on the side panels.

I installed it all myself. It was a pretty easy job, just time consuming. Make sure you have about 6-8 clamps handy when you go to do this job, actually the more the merrier. With more, you can get the job done quicker. This way you can spray on your 3M glue, clamp it and forget it till try. I never could have dont it without the clamps.

OK thanks for the info!

Clamps, clamps, and more clamps......I'll remember that.

The texture is close to that of vinal, but it's painted. If anyone comes up with a good method to refinish these I'd be interested. One of these days i'll have to deal with the same problem on my car.

Sorry about not answering your original question, seems we got off on a different topic, mostly my fault... Having never seen the bare side panels or know what the "texture" looks like, do you think you can use a black wrinkle paint like this product found at Eastwoods? http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=106&itemType=PRODUCT

Hey Suregrip391 what did you mean by? " I will say that he will most likely try to sell you a different brand of carpet "ACC" I believe only because he stocks it."
Did you go with ACC or got some different kind?

Hey Suregrip391 what did you mean by? " I will say that he will most likely try to sell you a different brand of carpet "ACC" I believe only because he stocks it."
Did you go with ACC or got some different kind?

I used the "trim parts" brand of carpet. It got great reviews from other members. I think Dante stocks the "ACC" brand thats why he will most likely quote you on that one. The ACC is way more expensive and got bad reviews for fading, fit not being right, short on material etc....Thats why I bought the "trim parts" carpet. It fit nice and I was real happy with it. If your car is console equipped, you need to ask for the "console carpet set" as well if going with the "trim parts" set. Keep that in mind.

I used the "trim parts" brand of carpet. It got great reviews from other members. I think Dante stocks the "ACC" brand thats why he will most likely quote you on that one. The ACC is way more expensive and got bad reviews for fading, fit not being right, short on material etc....Thats why I bought the "trim parts" carpet. It fit nice and I was real happy with it. If your car is console equipped, you need to ask for the "console carpet set" as well if going with the "trim parts" set. Keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Suregrip does the trim kit you got cover the back and front the trunk divider that lets up or down or just it cover the front?

Suregrip does the trim kit you got cover the back and front the trunk divider that lets up or down or just it cover the front?

The trunk divider is only carpeted on the cars interior. The back side is a dull primer black color from what I have seen (painted wood)

-
Back