Fastback window...save gasket or just cut it?

-

Bad Ace 383

Reaction score
I about got my 67 fastback all apart.Should I cut the gasket to take the window out or try to save it?Should I replace the gasket when I put it back together anyways?If so then cutting it would probably be the best way to go right?It would make getting the window out easier without breaking it I would think.I've taken a few Charger back windows out and one Charger front windshield by myself with good success but it was very difficult.What's your opinion?

Hello, I am in the process of planning a remove/replace of my Duster's windshield. From what I have been able to learn so far you never want to reuse a window gasket if you can help it. In fact I have been told to keep at least one spare of everything on hand! I have never done this before but the drill seems to be as follows: 1) carefully preserve the glass as it is removed, 2) completly clean any and all old gasket, 3) adhesive, dirt, RUST!, etc, 3) apply a new coat of adhesive agent, install new gasket, install new glass, 4) finish. Besides, you never know what condition the gasket is going to be in until you get it out. Good luck and keep us posted.

-LY

I cut mine when I remove the glass, It would be real easy to break the glass trying to save the gasket.

-
Back