Fastener Identification

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm cleaning out a box of parts and came across a baggy with 12 of these studs. One end is 1/4-20 and the other is 1/4-28. Any idea what these studs are for?

upload_2019-9-23_19-10-12.png

These are short 3/8-16 bolts. I had 10 of them. Any idea what they're for? I'm guessing cover for a Dana 60 since they were with other Dana parts. And they stink.

upload_2019-9-23_19-13-11.png

I'm cleaning out a box of parts and came across a baggy with 12 of these studs. One end is 1/4-20 and the other is 1/4-28. Any idea what these studs are for?

View attachment 1715398385

These are short 3/8-16 bolts. I had 10 of them. Any idea what they're for? I'm guessing cover for a Dana 60 since they were with other Dana parts. And they stink.

View attachment 1715398386

Bottom ones could be to hold the Dana rearend cover on

Yes top ones are carb studs. 1/4-20 end goes in the intake. Bottom are rear end cover bolts.

I do not believe the top ones are carbs studs. They are 1/4-20. And I have 12 of them. I was thinking maybe oil pan?

Yeah, I believe carb studs are 5/16. Did any mopar engines come stock with studs for the oil pan?

I’ve never run into it but once some sticks their fingers in it your guess is as good as mine. With some of my small blocks with higher intake runners like the Super Victor or Indy intake I have to use spacers to raise my valve covers off the runners. So I have 1/4 inch studs of different lengths for this job.

Ok, I'm thinking they may have been for the valve covers that I pulled off a big block a while back. It was bone stock though. Those have 6 per side I believe too.

Ok, I'm thinking they may have been for the valve covers that I pulled off a big block a while back. It was bone stock though. Those have 6 per side I believe too.

For sure you want to keep them because if you tinker on cars you will use them somewhere. I have a box under my work bench I call my “lucky box” that I throw almost every bolt, nut, or washer in. Sometimes when I’m bored I sort them in bins. I call it my lucky box because I know it’s in there but I just have to be lucky to find it.

The studs may be for the front fender extensions, or really reaching here, they look like the studs that are used to mount the '70 only hood scoops to the hood.

Here's another one for you guys. I found 4 of these ARP studs with a set of big block ARP heads bolts I've got. They are 3/8 course/fine thread and 3.25" long. I was thinking big block oil pump, but I thought those had one bolt that was longer.

Any ideas?

Maybe water pump housing (for use with a motor plate)?

upload_2019-9-25_7-29-35.png

Last edited:
I found this

Moparts Tech Archive
Big Block
Big block bolt sizes
I am currently assembling a 383 for my Duster. I started with a short block and am adding specific parts as I go. Since most parts don't come with bolts and I don't have the originals, measuring can be tiresome. Here is a list of the bolts I've needed, what they fit, and their sizes. My measurements were taken from a kit I have. Please correct any that may be wrong or add any I haven't gotten to yet. Maybe this list will help someone who needs to go bolt shopping. Regards to all,
Gary

part............amount...thread size..length in inches

distributor........1........5/16.......1-3/4

timing.............4........5/16.......3/4
cover...............4........3/8........3/4

valve covers......12........1/4........7/8

intake...............8........3/8........1-1/2

thermostat.........2........3/8........1

oil pan...............20........5/16.......3/4

valley pan.........6........1/4........5/8

fuel pump..........2........3/8........1-1/4

water pump.........4........3/8........1

water pump.........4........3/8........2-3/4
housing..............1........3/8........3-1/2
.........................1........3/8........4

oil pump...........2........3/8........2-1/2
.......................1........3/8........3
.......................1........3/8........4-1/2

All are coarse thread and use washers.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Excellent idea! I believe the 7/8" long valve cover bolts you list are for aluminum valve covers and the stock steel ones can use 1/2" long bolts since they are thinner. Also, my notes show 3/4" long thermostat housing bolts, but the 1" should not be a problem.

Moparts Tech Archive
Small Block
Small Block bolt sizes

oil pan
5/16"{18}x 3/4" amount needed 18
valve covers
1/4"{20}x3/4" amount needed 10

fuel pump
3/8"{16}x1 1/2" amount needed 2

thermostat housing
3/8"{16}x1" amount needed 2

intake manilofld
3/8"{16}x1 1/2" amount needed 12

water pump & timming cover as a combo-set
3/8"{16}x5" amount needed 4
3/8"{16}x3 3/4" amount needed 3
3/8"{16}x1" amount needed 3
3/8"{16}x2" amount needed 1

distibuter hold down
5/16{18}x 3/4" amount needed 1

Don't forget the washers to go with the bolts.

Thank you sir! I'm thinking the four 3/8 studs are for the water pump housing. I probably bought them years ago for use with the front motor plate.

Either way, those lists are really helpful. I'm saving them for sure.

-
Back