Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
:cheers:

Here a a few pics of the motor and trans going in the car!
A huge thanks to Al. What a fabulous individual! Aaron and I enjoyed spending the day with you working on Misty

:D

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 391
  • FullSizeRender (8).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 379
  • FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 373
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 410
  • FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 402
  • FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 375
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 366
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 384
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    141 KB · Views: 423
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 452
Now I need to figure out how the power steering pump and bracket mount and what provisions to make for an AC compressor

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 316
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 371
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 339
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 413
Ha! I was just looking at my steering column and the plate that it goes through that the gasket is on that goes on the firewall. I don't remember how this goes back together. Why are there three bolt holes so big?

I always figured that those holes were oversized to allow for the best alignment with the dash, firewall, and steering box.

Ok another question that I'm sure I know the answer to: Is there supposed to be stud In View attachment image-2594358464.jpg the end tapping of the passenger side head? It's missing on our motor. Is it possible the builder left it out intentionally because the trans tube is in the way.

No there are only studs at the very end on each side. Bolts go in the rest

Yep, there's supposed to be a stud there. Front and back (each end) exhaust bolt holes go into water jackets on small block heads. You can bend the dipstick tube up and back just a little to get clearance. Just hold it in the middle, and stick a 1/2 inch extension down into it a bit to bend it. You just need to make sure it bends above the bracket that bolts to the bellhousing.

Yep, there's supposed to be a stud there. Front and back (each end) exhaust bolt holes go into water jackets on small block heads. You can bend the dipstick tube up and back just a little to get clearance. Just hold it in the middle, and stick a 1/2 inch extension down into it a bit to bend it. You just need to make sure it bends above the bracket that bolts to the bellhousing.
Thanks JD. What's the best thing to put on the stud as a sealant? Permatex?

I need to find out what kind of bolts to use to bolt the flex plate to the torque converter....

We bought a nice stock gently used radiator from a V8 auto trans AC 74 A body. It's on it's way to us now.

Our distributor arrived today and I'm wondering if I should just use the Chrysler ECU box and ballast resistor since our under hood harness is in tact. I really think going with the HEI module would be better for our purposes.

I'm wondering what do you do with the unused connector on the harness that is for the Chrysler ECU box if you don't use one?

What to do on the harness question....don't cut it. Lol you can always tie it back out of the way. I think mine was hacked out on my 74 pain in the but if you ever want to go back.

Yep, I think its the 5/16. If you have the ones for the crank.. The ones to the converter look similar. Have shallow but oversized hex. just smaller size.

Bob, just saw your post to my thread. Thanks. Too bad we were not able to connect last week. I ended up taking a walk on the beech and was on my way back to PA by 4:30.

D/D, Just a quick comment-Your engine builder is not going to put that exhaust stud in there. That's something you would do when you bolt up the exhaust. I have used permatex red on them also, but that sealant might be the best

-
Back