Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Got everything back together this evening. Installed the new OEM Mopar distributor initial timing is 19* with no vacuum. With advance connected to vacuum timing went to 21*.
Ran rpms up twice with no missing or fall off. Problem solved!! I'll get vacuum reading and total timing readings this weekend. Too late to keep reving up the car tonight. Can't piss off the neighbors. Also found out my Lokar kickdown cable broke on the pressed transmission end. Gotta see if I can get Summit to send me a replacemet. It's only 2 months old.
IMG_7786.JPG

Are you confident your Lokar cable is pressed on at the transmission end? Mine pulled out because I had it adjusted too tight, and when I got down there, it was held with a set screw. You may be able to fix what you have.

Cley

Are you confident your Lokar cable is pressed on at the transmission end? Mine pulled out because I had it adjusted too tight, and when I got down there, it was held with a set screw. You may be able to fix what you have.

Cley
My feeble old mind tells me that it was pressed on at the transmission end. I sure hope that I am wrong and you are right and I can just get their Allan keys and put it back together. I'll be driving soon or if that is the case!
I'm going to download the installation instructions when I get to work I'm sure it will depict how that cable is attached to that fitting.

It's the little things that make this stuff interesting. Car is looking good DD, getting close to working the bugs out on longer drives.

Thanks Jaws! A thousand little things to do still. Lokar throttle pressure setup is back together and adjusted for now as per the install instructions. I missed that set screw on the trans end. It was tight working conditions but I had Aaron handing me the tools like back in the beginning days of the project.
IMG_7778.JPG

Last edited:
Ahhhh the little things. The trans pan was dripping a bit on the Demon a few weeks back so I crawled under there drained he trans, pulled the pan, got a fresh gasket, hooped it all up in standard fashion but somehow forgot to tighten drain plug to spec. After 24 hours my buddy filled the trans back up and slowly onto the floor overnight. Lol life is good

I avoided doing the lock strip on my windshield gasket for months. Just thought it was going to be a PITA. Had the $10 lock strip tool and few ounces of super soapy water and it went in super easy in about 15 minutes. Now I can start to procrastinate about the stainless trim I bought over 6 months ago!
IMG_7790.JPG

WOW so I'M not the only PROCRASTINATOR!!! LOL the car is beautiful and some what reminds me of my Duster miss that car...LOOKS GREAT!!!

WOW so I'M not the only PROCRASTINATOR!!! LOL the car is beautiful and some what reminds me of my Duster miss that car...LOOKS GREAT!!!
It's not really procrastination, it's more anxiety about doing detail things that don't require a saw and pneumatic finish nailer.

I drove about 20 miles this afternoon and evening. After I fueled up with Exxon Supreme, drove home and dialed back initial timing to 15*. A few guys said 21 was too much. The car ran pretty good and shifted nice. From time to time under load it felt like it wanted to or did have a slight backfire through the carb then hesitated until rpms got over 2000 then I think some of the distributor advance came it and that seemed to be the sweet spot.

Wonder what adjustments to try next?

I am running an alternator that was in the trunk of the car when I bought it. During my drive, I believe the bearing in the alternator started to make noise. So I'll keep an eye and ear on that too.
IMG_7800.JPG

Truer words have never been spoken! Started the Daddy Daughter Duster in 2011 and have not made anywhere near the progress Duster Daddy has. :(

Nice build man,
Pat
It's not a sprint, it's a marathon as well as a war of attrition. Funny thing happens when you go out to the garage and do stuff, stuff gets done. Sometimes two or three times till it's right, but it gets done. Keep at it, that's all I can say

Great to see that you are driving the car!!!
It felt odd that I was getting near complete then I drove it and felt better because I discovered I have so much more to do than I thought!!
It was exciting to drive the car with my son who almost dared me to do it 6 years ago sitting in the shotgun seat!!!
IMG_7817.JPG

Last edited:
Drive it, that's what they were built for.
Winter is coming soon, put some miles on it.

-
Back