Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Get the cover from Legendary- they run a discount some time around November- great quality. Make sure your foam is thick enough too.

Borgeson steering box is in the car. Pretty straight forward. You have to trim a bit off the column shaft to allow for their coupler but it is worth it to never need to screw with snapping the dust cover cap on ever again. My pump needs an O ring fitting and the line Borgeson said is correct didn’t have an O ring on the pump side so I had a local hydraulic hose shop make a new end for me. Should be done tomorrow...
D64FE1E9-F4C1-4B3F-8194-C724A2844F93.jpeg
381E6ECF-1595-4152-A82A-69EF468738E6.jpeg

Did you remove the exhaust manifold and starter to slide it in?

Did you remove the exhaust manifold and starter to slide it in?

No, lifted the motor less than an inch, removed battery tray and the old one and the new one went out and in that way. I don’t ever want to take that manifold pipe off that manifold. It was a pain of epic proportions to put on.

Ok
Turns out the steering box has the smaller 1-1/8 pitman shaft like in a 72 down.
I hope a 72 pitman arm will work with the rest of my steering setup....

The new box is in the car and it drives amazing. In this case we used the Moog pitman arm for a 74 manual steering box. The car has great road feel and is nice and firm yet has nice assist when turning the wheel while the car is stopped. Love driving this car.
1D67F7F5-0B41-4502-BC6F-A924E7147CBA.jpeg

Last edited:
The new box is in the car and it drives amazing. In this case we used the Moog pitman arm for a 74 manual steering box. The car has great road feel and is nice and firm yet has nice assist when turning the wheel while the car is stopped. Love driving this car.
View attachment 1715227829

I just read your entire 7 year odyssey in one sitting! This nighttime shot of Misty is the best picture yet. She sure is a head turner! I'm amped up to go pick up my dart now. Such a great restoration. Mine will be nowhere near yours but I'm still excited beyond words! You and your family and the help you received from FABO members is an inspiration.

BRAVO!!!:thumbsup:

I just read your entire 7 year odyssey in one sitting! This nighttime shot of Misty is the best picture yet. She sure is a head turner! I'm amped up to go pick up my dart now. Such a great restoration. Mine will be nowhere near yours but I'm still excited beyond words! You and your family and the help you received from FABO members is an inspiration.

BRAVO!!!:thumbsup:

Dude, thanks so much for the kind words. Best of luck with your Dart!

Congrats on the new truck. If I bought a Chevy truck, it would be that version. Red with the sport package. My 04 Dodge is that color combo....so I'm kinda partial, lol.

Congrats on the new truck. If I bought a Chevy truck, it would be that version. Red with the sport package. My 04 Dodge is that color combo....so I'm kinda partial, lol.
It is a sporty truck that’s for sure! Thoughtfully put together and the black out treatments look great!

View attachment 1715227829
That car looks absolutely beautifull!
Not here to compain about your build,but i got to wonder how crome bumpers and some shiny trim around the wheelopenings would break up all that shining red paint since i figure thats how my Duster looked when it was new.
That thing looks fantastic,keep up the good work!

That car looks absolutely beautifull!
Not here to compain about your build,but i got to wonder how crome bumpers and some shiny trim around the wheelopenings would break up all that shining red paint since i figure thats how my Duster looked when it was new.
That thing looks fantastic,keep up the good work!

Thanks!
I have loved the painted bumpers from the minute I put them on the car, maybe that’s just me. To me the simplicity makes the car look so clean....

Thanks!
I have loved the painted bumpers from the minute I put them on the car, maybe that’s just me. To me the simplicity makes the car look so clean....
You do have a very good point there and maybe more chrome would be to much with the chrome wheels.
It does look fantastic and maybe you are right that its the simplicity that makes it looks as clean as it does!

You do have a very good point there and maybe more chrome would be to much with the chrome wheels.
It does look fantastic and maybe you are right that its the simplicity that makes it looks as clean as it does!

Keep in mind this a super economy restoration. I used what I had that was usable. I used the 74 rear bumper on my home made sucked in brackets to eliminate the big plastic spacer and got rid of the front inner bumper and the dreaded bumperettes. The car cost me $200 and until a splurged on the $600 steering box I had less than $8,500 in it give or take.....

You sure did good on that budget,you made it look real nice on any budget in my opinion!

Could you have plated the car with a 1974 plate like I did ? Or does NJ not let you do that ?
20170425_160240_HDR-1.jpg

-
Back