Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Very excited to have this nice valance going onto the car!

Got the trunk drop offs set and welded into place this past weekend as well.

Little by little.

Attachments

• VALANCE.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 738
We welcome a brand new Mopar to our family, A new 2014 Jeep Wrangler for my son Aaron as his daily driver. It's a new color for 2014 called Anvil.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 720
Jeeps are cool I have three.
A 48 CJ-2a, 80 CJ-5, and a 03 wrangler.
Nothing like taking the doors and top off

I Also posted this in the body and trim form..

OK, so to test fit the Frankenstein body panel parts for Misty I set the doors with decent 3/16-1/4 in gaps. The fenders have similar decent gaps to the doors.

Sorry for the poor quality pics and everything being different colors and just roughed in.

First pic shows the door to fender gap as being decent

Next is a pic of the cowl-fender-hood gaps. It looks bad where they all come together.

I want to slide the hood back and the fenders forward a bit, but then the fenders will stick out past the front edge of the hood.

A body man a know thinks it's OK having a larger gap hood to cowl than the others.

I'm not sure I'm digging that.....

Attachments

• door fender gap.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 711
  • fhcg2.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 704
Another thing is the long gap hood to fender is good and the everthing is straight, however the the hood is sticks out past the fender by 1/8 on the passenger side.

I'm thinking I will just go with a slightly wider gap on both ends of the passenger door and slide the passenger fender forward.

Attachments

• right fender hood gap (2).JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 687
  • right fender hood gap (1).JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 680
  • left front.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 694
  • front gap.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 682
Spent the day with Aaron aligning the sheet metal. I think it's looking good!
This car has not had all of it's sheet metal bolted on in a long long time...
This is satisfying!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 665
  • 6.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 666
  • 5.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 655
  • 4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 650
  • 2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 665
  • a hood.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 660
  • 3.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 659
I think this week the old girl is heading out for final body work and sealer and paint!:blob:

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 636
  • 12.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 666
  • 11.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 603
  • 10.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 636
  • 9.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 649
  • 8.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 686
After more than a year of working about 1 day a week on Misty, we pulled the trigger on sending her off to the body shop. It will be really nice to have the old girl painted:cheers:

We want to do a renovation project at the house so having more stuff in the car and less stuff on the garage floor is in order.

When we get her back in 5 to 6 weeks we can get the motor and trans in her to free up some space in the garage!:burnout:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_8784.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 628
I am anxious to see Misty with her new coat...

The weather is turning colder here ... arg..

Posy lost of pictures please..

Now I get to stress out over bolting the 904 to motor...Uncharted waters for me....:banghead::banghead:

I am anxious to see Misty with her new coat...

The weather is turning colder here ... arg..

Posy lost of pictures please..

I just want you to know Ian, I we may steal that triple pin stripe on the hood contour that you did on Lafwanda....

Attachments

• _IGP0121a-X2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 629
WOW ! I go away for a little bit and I come back and Misty is a car again ! Good job ! Now you know your going to have to show us pictures when she gets back . lol

gen2hemi,

It's like your building a spaceship! Holy Cow your work is precise.
It's nothing like our little shade tree weekend thing we got going on here, but thanks!
:D

She's gettin there Bear! I think she's going to be knock out in that red dress...

Just got these shiny new handles in the mail today!

It's the little things that'll make us smile:cheers:

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 563
I see you decided no DIY on the finishing. Looking forward to pics on her return.

Yes a huge price difference. Keep in mind this car cost me $200. The main reason I bought it was I figured I could work on it a long time without investing too much cash at one time since it needed everything. Besides, it had a valid New Jersey title and many cars we looked at didn't have titles at all. I can usually only work on her one day per week plus a few hours here and there. What I'm saying is I really don't have much money to spend on the car, but I love the hobby so much, I do what I can afford. I was able to get passenger and driver side skins for about $280 delivered to my door! I wasn't able to to find AMD skins anywhere for significantly less than $200 each plus $120 truck freight. So I figure no matter how you slice it I saved at least $220 by going with the Goodmarks from www.getallparts.com They had them for $130 each then gave me 10% off and shipped them for $28 ( the $28 shipping still has me scratching my head since they came Roadway Freight or whatever they call that company now) The freight thing had to be ****-up in the order processing but hey I paid $28 for shipping and they are tack welded on my car now! lol. I think they are a new parts website, because I never heard of them before. But for me to be able to get both skins for that price delivered, I figured I would deal with any fitment problems, but there were none.

Thanks for the tip on the 1/4 panels.
I finally got around to ordering this week for my duster, the price did not change but they must have figured out the shipping glitch because they were $370 shipped.
Summit wanted $400.00 plus shipping for the same part.

Looks like a winner going off to paint. A lot of work on it. Great job. Can't wait to see it back. Funny thing is my son still won't drive the 74 and wants a jeep.

Thanks for the tip on the 1/4 panels.
I finally got around to ordering this week for my duster, the price did not change but they must have figured out the shipping glitch because they were $370 shipped.
Summit wanted $400.00 plus shipping for the same part.

Damn! That was too good to last...

Looks like a winner going off to paint. A lot of work on it. Great job. Can't wait to see it back. Funny thing is my son still won't drive the 74 and wants a jeep.

Thanks man! She's having a bit more than paint done, but we got her looking like a car and solid.
My wife put her foot down on our sons daily driver and insisted it be something no one needed to work on.. We all love to drive the new Jeep for what its worth...:cheers:

-
Back