Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
On the hinge pins, I didn't trust the original style clips. I have heard they fail and cause a lot of damage. I put the clips on, then a washer then cross drilled the pin and put a cotter pin through it. Also keeps everything tight so it maintains alignment.

Great idea!

I had no idea I could get new, made in the USA U-nuts in the specialty hardware drawers right down the road at Lowes

Attachments

• unut.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 773
My little girl stopped as she walked through the garage and looked at the body filler on the passenger fender where I had the weld in a large patch due to the PO cutting out the marker light section. She said " Oh now why I get why mommy says the car is dinosaur, your making it look like it has fossils.....
I picked her up, hugged her and kissed her and told her I loved her...
We all love the old dinosaur too!

Attachments

• fender.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 741
I don' think this car has had a hood on it's hood hinges in 10 years!

I was wondering if the holes in the tail panel are supposed to be there on '74 Duster of if they were drilled out for a dealer nameplate?

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 737
  • holes.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 706
I was worried that the hood hinges and springs could work their way off the studs they hang on in the inner fender so I made sure they wouldn't

Attachments

• hinge fastened.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 742
Since I got the hood hinges fixed and the hood on the car I couldn't resist just setting the fenders in place too. Looks like everything id going to fit real nice when we bolt em down and adjust everything...:D

Attachments

• p.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 713
  • dr (1).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 730
While I was taking the bottom rear glass stainless trim off the back glass so I can get ready prep the trunk gutter, I noticed this rear defrost vent boot. What supplies the warm air I wonder?

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 744
I don' think this car has had a hood on it's hood hinges in 10 years!

I was wondering if the holes in the tail panel are supposed to be there on '74 Duster of if they were drilled out for a dealer nameplate?

I am pretty sure that's wear the rear duster emblem goes. not sure about the 74 but my 73 has the holes there. here is a pic i got off the internet. I have been following along on ypour build and i think you are doing a awesome job on the car. mopar65

Attachments

• 73dusteryellow25.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 751
I was worried that the hood hinges and springs could work their way off the studs they hang on in the inner fender so I made sure they wouldn't

just wondering what did you use on the hinges? some type of collar? how is it held on?

just wondering what did you use on the hinges? some type of collar? how is it held on?

I keep saying I need to find my camera..it's a lousy picture, but if you look at the one I posted above you can make it out. I drilled each stud at the outside end 5/32" and slid a 1/2" washer over the stud where the bottom hinge mounts and did the same on the stud where the coil spring clips over it. Then I used a cotter pin to retain the washers. Now neither can work themselves off the stud

Attachments

• hinge fastened.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 717
While I was taking the bottom rear glass stainless trim off the back glass so I can get ready prep the trunk gutter, I noticed this rear defrost vent boot. What supplies the warm air I wonder?

If I'm not mistaken, a short piece of hose would go to a fan motor that mounts in the speaker hole. Draws it's air from the interior of the car.

I am pretty sure that's wear the rear duster emblem goes. not sure about the 74 but my 73 has the holes there. here is a pic i got off the internet. I have been following along on ypour build and i think you are doing a awesome job on the car. mopar65

Thanks for the kind words! Is that a pic of your car? I think a Rallye Red Duster would look pretty sweet with blank painted bumpers and a blacked out grille..

I like the black trim around the tail lights on that car too! I think I could make my tail light assemblies look nice if the bezel was sanded filled and painted. What do you think?

I managed to pull/push the dent out of the driver side rocker.
I drove 3 tech screws to half their depth in the dent. 1 in the crease and 1 on either side. I then tack welded the screws in place. Then used the curved end of my carpenters flatbar and a block of wood to pull the dent out. After seeing daylight through one of the threshold screw holes to the one of the new screw holes I made in the bottom, I decided to drill a 1/2" hole above the dent. I then used a 3/8 steel pin to tap the rest of the dent back into shape.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 701
  • photo 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 664
This is a twisted self portrait of the sledge hammer mechanic.....:violent1:

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 667
Now that I pulled that dent out of the rocker, I think it's about time I face my demons and align the doors hood and fenders. Then I'll sand her down and epoxy prime....

Thanks for the kind words! Is that a pic of your car? I think a Rallye Red Duster would look pretty sweet with blank painted bumpers and a blacked out grille..

I like the black trim around the tail lights on that car too! I think I could make my tail light assemblies look nice if the bezel was sanded filled and painted. What do you think?

no but wish that yellow car was mine. I think it would look great blacked out on your car. if i keep my duster tail panel as a 73 i am going to black out the chrome ring around the tail lights also. keep up the great work and cant wait to see the car all done. oh also hte same thing to the frontend if it stays as a 73 duster. wanting to turn mine into a 72

We were able to make 2 colors disappear from Misty this weekend by sanding down the sublime left front fender and the Gold metallic deck lid and finally getting a coat of epoxy primer on them.

Thanks to Aaron and Dan for the sanding!

A while back I discovered that the rattle can primer that was on the whole passenger side of the car comes off really easy with a rag and some lacquer thinner.

Last is the inexpensive but effective trunk extensions I made. Relax, they are just tech screwed in place to check fitment. We'll weld them in when the quarter skins get here.

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 635
  • fender.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 624
  • door.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 636
  • extension.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 651
I just wanted to say that I was able to buy a left and a right Goodmark quarter panel skin for $288 bucks including tax and delivery to my home.
I was amazed at the price. I got them from www.getallparts.com
If you place an order from them this summer use the promo code "Summer10" to get an additional 10% off.

Yellow Freight just delivered my 2 quarter skins which we have been patiently waiting for.
I waited a long time to get these at a price I wanted to pay....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 591
Didn't roll Misty out of the Garage this weekend due to the fact I needed to help one of my sons get the last of school work submitted for the year. I hope to get a few small things done in the next few weeks, then get the quarters and get her primed blocked and painted sometime in August!

Sometimes it feels like our project is so remedial compared to a lot of the builds you guys do.

That being said, I'm not particularly proud or tired so back to Romper Room!

Thanks to Oldmanmopar, Misty now has a nice 904 transmission! Great shape, just a little dirty.

I was between gunk treatments and wanted to step inside for a few minutes so I hung this freaky witch mask I use to terrorize the neighborhood kids on Halloween by the dipstick tube. My 8 year old was riding his scooter in the driveway and I didn't want to find him with his hands full of grease, so I hung the mask. He isn't fond of the that mask at all so I was assured he would stay away for sure.

Attachments

• cleaning trans.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 516
  • witch trans.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 522
A few weeks back we got that nasty dent in the drivers side rocker pulled and hammered out.
I got the filler roughed in. You can see the evidence of my ugly yet effective sheetmetal welds from the rust repair patches. I'm going to experiment with top coat filler later in the week.

Attachments

• racker dent fixed.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 519
For better or for worse, we're leaving the factor paint on her, sealing over repairs when the are final coated and sanded, the priming the car for blocking. I have the cavalry coming to save my *** on the quarter skins in a few weeks. Then we will scuff up the car and prime.

Here is a pic of the passenger door with the rattle can primer the PO sprayed on that I was able to get off with lacquer thinner and rags. :rambo:

Attachments

• primer off door.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 547
while I'm thinking about the doors, I'm wondering what to use and how to go about cleaning up the chrome finish on the handles? Any secret cleaning and polishing rituals anyone wants to share?

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 559
-
Back