Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
So here we decided to venture off the path a little bit. We went with 71 style stripes, no potmetal badgeing on the sides, and on the tail panel we went with the 71 style without the outer narrower upper and lower outline stripes and the Duster dust cloud graphic.

We Love It :toothy1:

Attachments

• stripe p (2).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 617
  • stripe p (1).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 587
  • ts.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 599
My son Aaron thinks we need to add the Twister decals too...

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 602
  • photo 1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 582
  • photo 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 598
Got all the stuff moved to the painted side of the garage.
We'll finish painting tomorrow after work. We couldn't resist lining the motor and trans up....

Attachments

• e.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 568
  • p.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 572
  • g.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 562
Got all the stuff moved to the painted side of the garage.
We'll finish painting tomorrow after work. We couldn't resist lining the motor and trans up....

SWEET!!!!!
It's looking real good!
I like your modified stripe idea. Motor and trans next on the to do list?

man your duster turned out great. Wear did you get the strips at? also did you have to cut out the tail panel strip your self or did you have it made like that? i have a 73 duster that i put a 72 duster front end and i want to put the strips on like you did. the only thing is i am going to have 440 added to the end of the side strip.again great job on the car.mopar65

SWEET!!!!!
It's looking real good!
I like your modified stripe idea. Motor and trans next on the to do list?

Tons of cleaning, finish the trunk, then we're going to get the motor and trans in..

Thanks, I got the stripes from a FABO member challengergary. the sides are '71 style Duster stripes, and the tail panel is '71 style with no cut out for the tail lights. the tail comes with an outer upper and lower stripe that's about 1/2" that I didn't use so it would look more like a 70 stripe on my 74 tail. He would not/could not make me the Duster cloud logo, so I was able to get that from Stencils and stripes from the Chicago area.
Gary can make you the 440 call outs you want as well.

The paint has changed our perspective, and is really motivating. Now more than ever we are working on something of value that deserves our respect and attention.

Got her side of the garage painted, so now we need to get all of her parts on shelves.

Don't worry Ian we will be careful.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo 2 (1).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 529
  • photo 1 (1).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 518
Loaded up and on our way home

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• td.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 498
Stop and get a nice car cover for it!

Good advice! Happy to have her home.
It's a cloudy day but she still shines nice....

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 534
  • photo 2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 516
  • photo 3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 487
  • photo 4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 518
  • photo 5.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 510
Very nice -What shade of red is that-e5

Yes, E5. We really like the vitamin c orange Dusters, but I couldn't bring myself to choose a color that wasn't available in '74. As it turns out, I absolutely love the Rallye Red...

One of the many reasons I like the color so much is that it has different appearances in different light, from dark red to bright red with a lot of orange in it.

Attachments

• split.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 519
A few details like brand new door handles and graphics and one more of the car in the garage with plenty of room the walk around it to work with no stuff in the way.( Gotta see how long I can keep it that way) Need get that car cover tomorrow...

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 504
  • photo 3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 496
  • photo 1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 499
Misty's lookin' sweet in that new red dress ! I just got in from offshore and my boy is off school for christmas ... hope to knock some more rust off our Duster project , we,ve got a long way to go to catch up to you guys . Rich

Ok, you are just smoking at this point. Love the red. When you commented on what it does in different lights it reminded me of a Performance Red Mustang I once had...sucker turned orange at dusk. I know I mentioned the car cover. Get some fender blankets or moving blankets for when you are working on it. And please....this is for my anxiety...please, CAREFULLY, remove ever damn lawn tool off that wall and hang them by the other car....lol. As you know, I have 6 kids. One will drop a rake....then I will have 5. When I put the 72 in my garage every single kid toy will be out....only thing left are bubbles and I am not afraid to tackle my 2 year old if she gets crazy with the wand! Merry Xmas and congrats again.

Ok, you are just smoking at this point. Love the red. When you commented on what it does in different lights it reminded me of a Performance Red Mustang I once had...sucker turned orange at dusk. I know I mentioned the car cover. Get some fender blankets or moving blankets for when you are working on it. And please....this is for my anxiety...please, CAREFULLY, remove ever damn lawn tool off that wall and hang them by the other car....lol. As you know, I have 6 kids. One will drop a rake....then I will have 5. When I put the 72 in my garage every single kid toy will be out....only thing left are bubbles and I am not afraid to tackle my 2 year old if she gets crazy with the wand! Merry Xmas and congrats again.

LOL. I was waiting for someone to say something about the shovels and rakes and implements of destruction hanging on the wall next to Misty!

I'm going to move them to the other side of the garage this weekend. No one is going near any of those tools until I do.

The paint job is my Christmas gift from my wife, but better yet that 1974 size trunk in Misty has provided an exceptional hiding place for all of the gifts Santa will leave for our children. Gotta love it!

Funny as hell. I put all my wife's stuff in the trunk of the 74! Then she took it out with the oldest to Xmas banquet. Fragile pottery. If she opens it and it is in a million pieces I will confirm the lead foot!

So, There won't be much if any spending on Misty for a while, so I need to take a few days to plan what we're going to do next.

For sure the brake line that goes across the firewall needs to go in, and I'm sure the fuel lines are a lot easier to install while there is no motor in the bay as well.

It also makes sense to me to get the wiper mechanisms along with new seals back in before I put the dash frame back in. (still need to take off the old pad and refinish it)

My heater core is good but the fresh air box damper is rotted out so I think I'll be buying one of those from Whitepunkonnitro.

I never tested the wiper motor, but it looked ok other than one short piece of bare wire on it that I'm sure a little heat shrink tubing will take care of. The original wiring harnesses are going back in, but I'm cleaning them really well. I have a quite a bit of experience with electrical components from many production projects I have headed up, so I'm feeling real good about taking care of what seem to be common voltage drop issues from poor connections at the firewall connectors etc. I have a few ideas and tricks up my sleeve...

I have my motor, trans and rear pretty much ready to go.

I'd be up for any suggestions for others about how they'd go about moving forward on a very limited budget.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 457
I make lists. Then I literally hunt all over, FABO, Ebay, CL, local contacts for what I need. I also try to find out what the guys around me need. Then I barter. Jegs has free shipping on parts. If there are swap meets take your list and go to work. Buying a parts car amounted to be a pain in my *** on my wife's car to get rid of when done. Was worth more than scrap, but that is always an option. I am working with a guy that owns a shop to learn and he helps me not screw up too bad.

I also posted this in General Discussions to get some more opinions. Like that will be hard!

My question is, since we have little to no budget for purchases, If this were your low buck project, what would be the order of how you would go about finishing? Being a complete novice, here is my projected 12 step program LOL ( I should start drinking )

1 wiper assembly with new seals
2 heat/ac box
3 strip/paint dash frame, install, bolt up steering column
4 clean and re-install all wiring harnesses
5 install fuel tank assembly/ run fuel lines
6 install brake lines
7 install engine/transmission as assembly from top
8 radiator/hoses/trans cool lines
9 exhaust
10 final wiring
11 bumpers ( where can I send my front for re-chrome or get replacement)
12 interior/headliner/windshield

I'd like to know what anyone else thinks....

-
Back