Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Looks like a good list to work from.

Add grease fittings to your wiper pivots and you can eliminate a possible place for water to get in. (I didn't, it did). Had to take them back out to do it after the dash was in. :banghead:
Are you rebuilding your heater box. I was really pleased with the DMT kit for that as well as firewall, etc. very accurate with shapes and materials.

Is your paint base/clear or single?
Keith

Looks like a good list to work from.

Add grease fittings to your wiper pivots and you can eliminate a possible place for water to get in. (I didn't, it did). Had to take them back out to do it after the dash was in. :banghead:
Are you rebuilding your heater box. I was really pleased with the DMT kit for that as well as firewall, etc. very accurate with shapes and materials.

Is your paint base/clear or single?
Keith

Is there a wiper seal kit that has grease fittings?

I have 2 boxes one houses the heater core and the other (pictured) houses the coil and has what I think is a fresh air damper that's beyond rusted and rotted. Both of these things I need to learn about and figure out what to do...

The paint job is PPG base-clear urethane over 2K primer...

Attachments

• rusted damper (1).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 708
There are a number of threads on here that mention the grease fittings in the kit. My DMT kit didn't come with them. I just used a 1/4-28 fitting. Drilled and tapped the pivots.

Not sure if you can do anything with the rusted part shown. If you can get that resolved, the rebuild is fairly simple with step by step instructions in the DMT kit.

There are a number of threads on here that mention the grease fittings in the kit. My DMT kit didn't come with them. I just used a 1/4-28 fitting. Drilled and tapped the pivots.

Not sure if you can do anything with the rusted part shown. If you can get that resolved, the rebuild is fairly simple with step by step instructions in the DMT kit.

We have a new AC box on the way from another member.
Also ordered the wiper pivot seal kit and firewall gasket kit from Schumacher today.

It was nice day to get outside and wash down the engine bay, cabin and trunk to get rid of that body shop dust. It was nice having a helper too

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo_001.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 628
Awesome. Picked up another 440 to tear down and build....my 16 year old is on tear down duty after the new year.

God bless ya. Not being a mechanic, I wouldn't want that assignment. I'm more of an installer and coordinator.
I'm sure glad we're just going to be bolting that completely redone motor into our car.
Gotta keep it simple....

Well it surely is a way to learn. I have an experienced mechanic teaching me. Tearing it down is easy...well after some break free. It is the putting it back together bit that requires thought. I think of it as investing in my education. I have two degrees. When I retire in 4 years I plan to work part time and take some classes at the local community college. Never stop learning....

2014 was a great year for my family. A big part of the fun was Misty our 74 Duster project.
Happy New Year and thanks to everyone who gave advice and encouragement to us so far.
Our hope for 2015 is the old girl will indeed roar back to life...

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo_001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 597
Got our wiper pivot seals and firewall gasket kit today from Schumacher

Attachments

• seals.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 533
We have a new AC box on the way from another member.
Also ordered the wiper pivot seal kit and firewall gasket kit from Schumacher today.

Hey, where did you get your new AC box from? Was it rebuilt or what? I can't seem to find anyone to rebuild mine.

Cley

Hey, where did you get your new AC box from? Was it rebuilt or what? I can't seem to find anyone to rebuild mine.

Cley

I have a used one coming from fellow member whitepunkonnitro. zkx71 just mentioned a few posts back where he got his rebuild kit for his heater box. I'm sure they make one for AC boxes too. That's what I'll be doing once I see the condition of the one I have coming.

Man, have you made the progress on this one!
But really...did you have to paint it RED?!!
I'm getting Li'l Red Minx flashbacks, big time! Just when I thought I was over all that nonsense!

Nice find on these tail lights and bezels!:blob:

There are in great shape! Thanks Stephon!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 515
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 476
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 503
Keith ( zkx14 ) was in Jersey and it was nice he was able to stop by and take a look at Misty. He checked out what we had going on, and we had a chance to shoot the breeze about our cars...
Thanks for coming by Keith!

Enjoyed the visit! Been following your build for a while and had noticed your location was close to my brother. I would have given you more heads up, but with original weather prediction I wasn't even considering any side trips. Since the snow was done overnight, it was a pretty good day for a drive.
You really have come a long way with Misty. Lookin Good! What you didn't have in cash you more than make up for in patience and perseverance.
Aaron - don't let the old man slack off. LOL!

Here is a 318 in a scamp that has non a-body 360 truck exhaust manifolds. ( Thanks Dave )
They will work with a minor nip with a grinder to remove a little material on the power steering box and the manifold. A lot easier on plug wires and plug changes...

View attachment image-1756585850.jpg

I would look hard for a 340 manifold set, you can normally pick the 72 -73 up for about 300 a set.
Truck manifolds may give you fits.
I am thinking what to do on mine, I have a set of 340 manifolds, and a set of new coated headers a late friend gave me.
I think I am going to use the headers just because they were a gift, but manifolds are so trouble free.
Decisions, decisions.

Here is a 318 in a scamp that has non a-body 360 truck exhaust manifolds. ( Thanks Dave )
They will work with a minor nip with a grinder to remove a little material on the power steering box and the manifold. A lot easier on plug wires and plug changes...

View attachment 1714788341

What year are those manifolds, I also have a extra set of mid 70's truck manifolds.
I will admit the truck ones are easy to change plugs in.

I'm not sure, we'll need to ask DaveBonds it's his scamp.
I have never been able to get anyone on this site what the manifolds on the 74 360 were like, and if they flowed OK.
I sure hope the 74 up 360 A-bodies didn't get the same exhaust manifolds as the 318 2bbl cars did. That wouldn't make sense.

-
Back