Father, Son, and Grand Father project. 1963 Valiant

-
Jason Lee gettin down with da pliers. Lol. He's becoming a natural wit the tricky packard 56 connectors.

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

Headlight relays are mounted an wired. They turned out great.

Now ya see um

IMG_4863.JPG

Now ya don't.

IMG_4865.JPG

Still slowly picking away at wiring. Adding wires, routing wires.

Thanks for reading. Eric

Got some more wiring done today.

The battery cables are ran, along with the crank wire to the starter.

Also dovetailed the new headlights, and associated wiring and driver boxes into the factory headlight harness, and tapped the signal wire for the halos into the parking light wires.

Ran the dash harness, with all of its associated add ons.

Still haven't wrapped it yet. We want to make sure everything works before we wrap and harness it all.

It's a pain in the arse. But we will end up pulling the entire dash harness BACK out of the car and looming it. It's the right way to do it, and will make tracing an errant wire should we run across one.

Thanks for following along on our magical ride. Lol.

Eric

IMG_4866.JPG
IMG_4867.JPG
IMG_4868.JPG
IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_4870.JPG

Here is the bulkhead connecting the engine harness to the dash harness.
IMG_4871.JPG

Finished up our rough draft of wiring. Still have to loom everything once we confirm it's all working properly.

We have one front parking light that's giving us fits. It appears that the bulb isn't grounding to the side of the socket. Odd. Never had one do that.

And, of course, guage light problems.

Bulbs are all good. Could be sockets, could be circuit board. Side project.

Other than the headlights, all bulbs are regular, old fashioned bulbs.

The upgrades we made to routing and wire size made a huge difference.

Thank you for reading. Eric.

IMG_4882.JPG
IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_4886.JPG
IMG_4888.JPG
IMG_4889.JPG

Photos show headlights and halos. Red are halos. But the LED head lights are insane

when you said "halo" i was expecting to see a little red ring, like the BMWs have...not this, this looks like the eye from the lord of the rings

images.jpg

when you said "halo" i was expecting to see a little red ring, like the BMWs have...not this, this looks like the eye from the lord of the rings

View attachment 1715258408

Yeah, Jason was going for that "evil" glow. It sets the car off nice.

Next we're planing on finishing fuel system plumbing, properly dropping in, and setting the distributor, and trying to fire this bad boy.

We're getting pretty excited!

That's pretty cool, that's he's got a vision for his car...and he's getting it done

Wayward parking light is fixed/ housing is rebuilt.

Instrument cluster bulb sockets are cleaned, and waiting for us to install the new bulbs tomorrow.

IMG_4900.JPG

Thanks. Eric

Well, the yahoos got the thing running! Eric had trouble uploading the video so he sent it to me. Actually, he sent a few, but this is the best one for audio. I think it sounds great!

Eric, send me a better one from closer behind the car so we really HEAR it.

How do yall like it so far? I think it sounds good.

How do yall like it so far? I think it sounds good.

So far it's great! Still a lot of tweaking and finishing to do before it's road ready.

We have initial timing at 12 degrees, total with vacuum and mechanical advance is 32.

We had a valve train click on initial cam break in. Jason removed the rocker shaft on that side, and when we bolted it back down it felt tighter.

I think from sitting the lifters might a blood down and we're having a hard time overcoming valve spring pressure. Now the tickfor the most part has gone away. There is still a little valvetrain noise, but I figure some of it's normal, some of it might be stainless pipe making noise, and some of it might be an exhaust leak. It's hard to tell right now. But it's very minor. Hardly discernible.

I still need to play with the carburetor. I think it needs a lower numerical power valve in a bigger squirter because it kind of falls on its face when you try to break stand it. Too much fuel.

But, boy oh boy, you want to talk about Jason being excited. He absolutely loves the exhaust note and the lope. First thing he said was, we have to send Rusty a video. LOL

So far it's great! Still a lot of tweaking and finishing to do before it's road ready.

We have initial timing at 12 degrees, total with vacuum and mechanical advance is 32.

We had a valve train click on initial cam break in. Jason removed the rocker shaft on that side, and when we bolted it back down it felt tighter.

I think from sitting the lifters might a blood down and we're having a hard time overcoming valve spring pressure. Now the tickfor the most part has gone away. There is still a little valvetrain noise, but I figure some of it's normal, some of it might be stainless pipe making noise, and some of it might be an exhaust leak. It's hard to tell right now. But it's very minor. Hardly discernible.

I still need to play with the carburetor. I think it needs a lower numerical power valve in a bigger squirter because it kind of falls on its face when you try to break stand it. Too much fuel.

But, boy oh boy, you want to talk about Jason being excited. He absolutely loves the exhaust note and the lope. First thing he said was, we have to send Rusty a video. LOL

Don't include the vacuum when setting total timing. Leave it disconnected until you get total where it needs to be and then connect the vacuum. In other words, the total timing is initial, plus mechanical and that's ALL. When you hook the vacuum up AFTER getting total timing right, the vacuum will just pull in "whatever" it does.

I am sure you can use more initial timing. It will probably perform great with "around" 20 degrees initial and "the rest" mechanical. I wouldn't go more than 36 total. so that would be 16 mechanical total and you want all that 16 degrees in by no more than 3000 RPM, probably as soon as 2500, as long as there's no detonation.

To accomplish this, you will need to "somehow" limit the total timing. In other words mechanically "stop" it from advancing "all the way".

What kind of distributor is it? Is the mechanical advance adjustable? If not, there are "ways" to get that done.

...and I am really glad yall like how it's turning out. I feel proud having had anything to do with it.

The boys sent me more videos to post. So here they bees.

Thank you again Rob.

Now that you can hear it clearly……tell me that ain’t just one bad *** idle. Lol

And surprisingly, the stereo sounds really good!

Thanks again for everything Rob.

Eric

8796C214-0CBB-4C12-94A7-F6ABD6C16B6A.jpeg

We also checked the idle in gear.

Yeah, it’s gonna need a 4.5 power valve.

We have a 6.5 in it now

We also got the radiator overflow/catch can installed. Jason got it all polished up and mounted. Works great.

E5E145D4-7481-46BD-945A-C9DD11ED9035.jpeg
37B64BD7-462C-466B-ACD0-6D508D0647D1.jpeg

Had a great day today. Very productive.

Sorry, nothing photo worthy though. Lol.

Had a transmission leak. It ended up that the dipstick tube was being held from dropping all the way into the case by the bell housing tab. A little manipulation of the bell housing tab and it settled into place.

While we had the fluid drained down we replaced the 30 tooth speedo gear with the needed 35 tooth to match our gear and tire.

Next we moved on to the tail pipes.

The tail pipes rattled on **** in the back of the car. With the springs moved inward, and the factory fuel tank shoved to one side, and with the axle moved rearward to center the axle, it’s very tight back there.

Installing two hangers near the tops solved the issue.

Oil pressure gauge dripped. Fixed that.

Bumped base timing to 20 degrees and increased the holleys squirted from 25-31.

It took care of our off the line bog and made mashing the throttle in the driveway much more rewarding. Lol.

All in all a very productive day. Still a lot to do, but we’re getting there. Baby steps.

Thanks for reading. Eric and Jason.

Oh yeah.

We had one gauge bulb that refused to work.

It started working. We don’t know why. We’re not asking. Lol. We’re just taking it as a win. Lol.

-
Back