Father, Son, and Grand Father project. 1963 Valiant

-
We finished up the brake lines today and bled them.

Had a few leaks to attend to. We had to amend our idea on master cylinder fittings.

I thought I could do it without adapters. I was wrong. Lol. The tube nuts were to short to press against the back of the flare. Lesson learned. Lol.

But the lines turned out great and bled out well. We have 3-4" of pedal travel. I'd prefer less, but it's acceptable. I think it's the bore on the diplomat master cylinder personally.

IMG_4510.JPG
IMG_4511.JPG

Tonight I got to teach Jason all about rebuilding a Holley carb.

The carb is a 21 year old 390 vacuum secondary I bought new for my valiant.

I definitely think it's on the smallish side, but with a light secondary spring and good pump shot I think it will be a snappy fun to drive street carb.

It cleaned up really nice.

Thanks for reading. Eric

IMG_4524.JPG
IMG_4525.JPG
IMG_4527.JPG

We had our new windshield installed today. It went great, fits beautifully, and looks awsome. The installer is a friend of a friend and even let Jason help.

Totally changed the look of the car. This project is ROLLIN now!

Thanks for reading. Eric

IMG_4541.JPG
IMG_4542.JPG
IMG_4543.JPG
IMG_4544.JPG
IMG_4545.JPG

We had our new windshield installed today. It went great, fits beautifully, and looks awsome. The installer is a friend of a friend and even let Jason help.

Totally changed the look of the car. This project is ROLLIN now!

Thanks for reading. Eric

View attachment 1715227338 View attachment 1715227339 View attachment 1715227340 View attachment 1715227341 View attachment 1715227342
Wow she is a beauty you changed my mind on the older body style....that little valiant is a hot rod!

Wow she is a beauty you changed my mind on the older body style....that little valiant is a hot rod!

Thank you very much. They were kind of awkward little cars from the factory. LOL. So we've tried our best to make it a little more badasser looking. LOL

Test fitting different shifters I had around and the center console from my car years ago.

The console is from a 1963 Chrysler 300j. We have to make a top plate for it to hold the extra gauges and a slit for the shifter. That will come when we dive into the interior later.

IMG_4554.JPG

We routed the shift cable around the front of the bell housing. The 727 transmission takes up the entire trans tunnel plus some. So we had to get creative on cable entry.

IMG_4569.JPG
IMG_4570.JPG

We decided on a B&M pro ratchet we had. It should look really slick in the console.

IMG_4594.JPG
IMG_4598.JPG

Thank you for reading. Eric and Jason.

We also worked on running the trans cooler lines. We used Nicopp just like the brake lines and fuel line. They turned out great.

IMG_4615.PNG

We still have to work on the geometry of the kickdown cable. Conventional techniques won't work with our current floor board situation. Still thinking about that one.

IMG_4618.JPG
IMG_4619.JPG

I don't have any great pictures of the exhaust. But here's what I have.

IMG_4668.JPG
IMG_4677.JPG

Here's what Jason decided on for exhaust tips. I think they look very understated and subtle.

IMG_4678.JPG
IMG_4679.JPG

The alignment raised the front end a little to get the right adjustments.

It also moved the tire forward in thecwheel well causing some interference on turning.

Not a big deal. Just had to massage the front wheel lips to clear.

We now have 1/4-3/8" clerance on jounce and turns, so we should be fine.

Thanks for reading. Eric and Jason

I love the unobtrusive tailpipes. That's sleeper material.

Thank you Rob. That's exactly what we were going for.

We went 2" off of the factory manifolds back to the transmission crossmember, than went up to 2.25" all the way back.

The mufflers are Jegs 2 chamber 2.25 offset inlet, center outlet.

Tailpipes are 2.25".

The drivers side tailpipe was REAL close to a bend when he trimmed it, so it's a little "squished". So we're planing on using a portable elcheapo tailpipe expander to round it back out.

Here's a picture of the over axle pipe before he trimmed it.

It was a very tight series of bends.

The passenger side was even tighter and required the use of some welded in mandrel bends to pull off the super tight routing.

IMG_4665.JPG
IMG_4676.JPG

Is the rubber brake line touching the exhaust?

After taking a few weeks off after exhaust and alignment, and getting our electrical ducks in a row, thanks to the members on FABO. We are starting on wiring.

We got the body harness reworked and installed from the tail lights to the kick panel.

Than we moved to the engine compartment harness.

IMG_4731.JPG
IMG_4732.JPG
IMG_4737.JPG
IMG_4738.JPG

Once we cleaned and separated our donor harness, we cleaned all of our components, and prepared for installation in the engine compartment.

Than we laid the harness out in the engine bay, and started to make our additions and changes.

We added in electronic ignition, a 4 pin ballast resistor, a dual field alternator, and an electronic voltage regulator.

We than started seperating and temporarily harnessing and dividing it into something resembling organized

Next we will finish terminating the rest of the harness and adding in the head light relays.

Thanks for reading. Eric

IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG
IMG_4818.JPG
IMG_4819.JPG

Me and Jason both had to work today, so grandpa set to work today on his own.

First he dug out the original coil bracket, and cleaned it and primed and painted it.

While it was drying, he got the oil pressure sender(s) threaded into the "stove pipe" and than into the block.

He also dug out the distributor hold down, and cleaned and painted it as well.

Before installing all of the above, he crimped on the packard 56 terminals for the ballast resistor, and inserted them into the new plastic cavities we picked up. I think they look great! Like factory!

Than he installed the hold down, MSD Blaster 2 coil and bracket.

He killed it today!

If I don't have to work Sunday I'm hoping to finish up the "rough" work in the engine compartment, (I'm going to wait to do final looming until after we fire the car for the first time), than we are going to start on the dash harness and interior harness.

Enjoy the pictures.

Eric.

IMG_4830.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
IMG_4832.JPG
IMG_4833.JPG
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4835.JPG

Last edited:
Had to work tonight, but I got to fit some time in on the car before I went.

Jason finally decided on what air cleaner he wanted and ordered it up. I think he nailed it! Looks great.

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG

IMG_4842.JPG

We also got some more wiring done. Didn't take many pics, but below is a good one. Baby steps. Lol. It's coming together nicely.

IMG_4843.JPG

Jason's new LED HALO headlights came in today. Along with our relay blocks, so we can relay the headlight circuit.

I'm off tomorrow, but jason has school and work, so me and Grandpa are going to try to get the lions share of the wiring taken care of.

Thanks for reading. Eric

IMG_4852.JPG
IMG_4853.JPG

Comin together man. Gotta hear that thing run.

Comin together man. Gotta hear that thing run.

No doubt! We are getting so close. We are all getting very excited to hear this thing run. It's going to be bad ***.

I'm heading over there now to do some u joints on my suburban and hopefully get the lion share of the wiring tackle. We will see how far we get.

After fixing the exhaust and u joint on the daily driver, we tackled changing around our kickdown cable routing, and mounting angle.

It still seems to pull pretty hard, but it's not from cable bind. It's just from spring tension on the kickdown lever on the transmission. I guess it's going to have a stiff throttle. Lol.

After that we installed the HALO headlights.

No modifications were required. Fit perfectly.

We didn't mess around much with the wiring today. But we got a lot of other things done I guess. Lol.

Thanks. Eric

IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4855.JPG

-
Back