Father, Son, and Grand Father project. 1963 Valiant

-
We also designed and mocked up a fan shroud.

It's the original fan shroud off of my father's pickup. He found it on the shelf and it fit the bill perfectly.

We're holding it to the fan with trans cooler zip ties. It holds it quite well and totally covers the fan.

IMG_3972.JPG

Got the rear tires mounted today. Man are they big. Lol. Move those springs in a little farther. Lol.

275/60/15

IMG_3981.JPG
IMG_3982.JPG

Productive day today.

We moved the leaf spring perches in against the frame, and spaced them back 3/4" to center the wheels in the rear wheel wells.

Not a lot of pics, but the hard work is out of the way.

IMG_4008.JPG
IMG_4009.JPG

Thanks for reading. Eric and Jason.

Productive day again today.

We got the spring perches moved in against the frame and bolted in place with the plate steel to move the axle rearward 3/4".

We hung the springs next and swung the axle in place.

Centered the axle, (we still need to set pinion angle and weld the perches in place) and bolted down the u bolts.

Bolted thevwheels in place and……holy cow, THEY FIT!

Success!!!!!!

Thanks for reading. Eric.

IMG_4015.JPG
IMG_4016.JPG
IMG_4017.JPG
IMG_4018.JPG
IMG_4019.JPG

It's been a very very busy month. Lots of progress.

We completely disassembled the rear suspension after mock up and test fitting for refinishing.

IMG_4115.JPG
IMG_4118.JPG

The entire bottom of the car was COVERED in tar/waxed based undercoating. It was nasty sticky stuff.

We discovered that wax and grease remover dissolved it pretty well. That and a wire wheel and it wiped right off.

It was a pretty horrible job, but we struggled through it. Lol.

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

After the primer tacked we sprayed the whole bottom of the car with red. It's a LOT of red. Lol. It turned out great!

IMG_4174.JPG
IMG_4175.JPG
IMG_4176.JPG

Now it's time to reassemble the rear suspension and get her back on all fours.

Jason found a set of bumperetts for the rear bumper. They cleaned up really well and look great on the car.

IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG

Rear axle. We got the rear axle and disk brakes cleaned and painted and back together. It looks killer!

IMG_4116.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

undercoating....while nasty to remove, did a great job preserving your Mopar. I just removed some on a 72 Swinger HDK / Hemi build for frame connectors, some chassis mods and sheetmetal repair.....not a fun job but ya make the best of it. In the grand scheme, it is cake, for there are far worse things...(ask a combat vet).

outstanding effort.... and results!

undercoating....while nasty to remove, did a great job preserving your Mopar. I just removed some on a 72 Swinger HDK / Hemi build for frame connectors, some chassis mods and sheetmetal repair.....not a fun job but ya make the best of it. In the grand scheme, it is cake, for there are far worse things...(ask a combat vet).

outstanding effort.... and results!

Digging this build men !!

Thank you guys, we are really starting to make some progress now.

Hopefully Sunday we can install the rear suspension and Jason can impress everyone with his attention to detail!

My father, (Jason's grand father) retired two weeks ago……his grand son is determined to keep him occupied so he dosent get bored. Lol

Great project , coming along nicely .

What are the exhaust manifolds from ?

BTW did you do the rear tubs to fit the 275's.

Last edited:
Great project , coming along nicely .

What are the exhaust manifolds from ?

BTW did you do the rear tubs to fit the 275's.

Thank you very much.

The manifolds are from a 1965 Barracuda. They are pretty restrictive, but fit like a glove.

We didn't tub the rear. We rolled the wheel lips, moved the springs in 5/8", and moved the axle and spring pack rearward 3/4" to center the wheel and tire in the opening.

Wheel is a 15 x 8 with 4.5" back space. It's a tight fit, but it fits and dosent rub

IMG_4016.JPG
IMG_4017.JPG

The finished product.

Bottom of the car, scraped, cleaned, sanded, primed, based, and cleared. It turned out beautiful.

Now, after it dries, we can reinstall the previously test fitted, and now cleaned and painted parts.

IMG_4161.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG
IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG
IMG_4183.JPG
IMG_4184.JPG

And here it is with everything installed. It turned out really really nice.

Now we move onto plumbing the brakes, fuel, and transmission lines.

IMG_4189.JPG
IMG_4190.JPG
IMG_4191.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG

This 63 has the best look I have seen in a Early A body in a long time, Red work's , looking forward to the new pictures you took I have been seeing :thumbsup:

Some more pics from the other day.

Dad and Jason got the fuel tank, sender, and filler neck installed yesterday. It looks great now that it's coming together. Thanks. Eric

IMG_4265.JPG
IMG_4268.JPG
IMG_4269.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4287.JPG
IMG_4289.JPG

Good looking car.
And also a nice "barn" you built it in.

My building is more of a "shack" instead of a garage.

-
Back