Father, Son, and Grand Father project. 1963 Valiant

-
This should be a productive weekend if it goes as planned.

Planing on lubing up the main and rod bearings with assembly lube and retorque those.

Than clean and assemble the oil pump and pickup and install those, and check pickup to pan clerance.

While dad and Jason are working on that I'm going to start pulling apart the cylinder heads.

Than I can check the guides for slop, measure spring height, and throughly clean the heads before replacing the valve seals, giving a slight hand lap to confirm valve Seat concentricity, and reassembling.

Than my buddy is coming over on Sunday to pull apart the transmission and inspect it with us. Hopefully we don't find any surprises.

Thanks for reading

Eric and Jason

Heck yeah. You know it brother.

In the way of projects……this bioch is ROLLIN now!

I like to see somebody doin it. If my son were still here, I would have the motivation. It's nice to see it gettin done somewhere.

Your always with us when were working brother.

Both figuratively and literally.

Literally because we're always bugging you with questions. Lol.

P.S. I'd ignore my P.M's on Sunday if I were you. Lol

Thanks again for all the help. Eric

We got the transmission torn down Sunday.

Everything looked really good inside. It dosent appear that it's ever been apart.

The clutches and bands were flaking a little from age, but otherwise it looked great.

So we ordered a rebuild kit with good clutches and steels and ordered new bands, and upgraded a couple of servos. We also ordered a transgo TF2 valve body improver.

Hopefully it will go back together next weekend.

Thanks for reading. Eric and Jason

IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3451.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG

We pulled the rest of the bearings out Sunday morning before the transmission work.

They were looking great until we got to the far rear main cap.

Flaking.

So now we're waiting on bearings. They should be here tomorrow.

And since Jason has a half day at school tomorrow we are hoping to put the new bearings in and clean everything real well while we're doing it.

And if we have time we are hoping to get the oil pump and pickup installed, and measured and adjusted to the pan.

Than maybe we can install and degree the cam Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks for reading. Eric and a Jason.

IMG_3448.JPG

And below is photographic proof that I am actually present and working on the car. Lol.

I'm normally the guy behind the camera.

Dad snuck this picture. Lol

IMG_3453.JPG

We spent Wednesday afternoon installing the new rod and main bearings. Everything went well, but we heard an odd "click" the first time we rotated the engine afterwards.

I'm pretty sure it was a ring on a carbon ridge, but just to make sure we're going to pop the caps off and double check. It happens. Lol. That's hot ridding. Lol

Than we went to thread the pickup tube into the oil pump and could only get it to thread 3 threads. That was odd. But it sounds like you don't need more than 4-5 threads so we're going to clean the threads up a little, disassemble the pump, clean it, and reassemble.

Again…that's hot ridding. Lol

Thanks for reading. Eric and Jason.

IMG_3464.JPG
IMG_3465.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG

And the rest of our transmission rebuild parts came in! So as long as nothing else fights us, maybe the transmission will be back together Sunday.

IMG_3471.JPG

VERY productive day today!!!

As stated previously, upon completion of Bearing replacement we heard a "tink". We decided to pull all the main and rod caps and double check for peace of mind.

Everything checked out good. When completed I showed Jason how to pry the crank back and forth to set the thrust Bearing in place, and than checked thrust. It was well within spec at .0040.

IMG_3476.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG

Than we discovered a burr on the pickup tube threads and cleaned it up and throughly cleaned up the pump and installed and measured pickup to pan clerance.

IMG_3478.JPG

Than we lubed up and installed the camshaft and degreed it verifying lift and intake centerline. We installed it 4 degrees advanced with the crank sprocket. Intake centerline on the cam card is listed at 108 degrees.

The camshaft degreed in at 100.5. Talking with Rustyratrod about our findings.

IMG_3479.JPG

Overall it was a very productive day. Tomorrow we are going to start assembling the transmission.

Our transmission parts didn't come in on time to finish the transmission work on Sunday, so we went over to grandpas and worked on the engine.

We finished degreeing the cam. Came in at 104 ICL, 4 degrees advanced. Just what we wanted.

IMG_3517.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG

Than we started disassembling the cylinder heads. Taught jason how to use a valve spring compressor and how to lay all the components out in order.

Having some issues with the rotator style exhaust valve and its lower lock grooves messing up our installed height on the new valve springs.

Should be tight but alright for coil bind (I will be checking that tomorrow morning), and we're going to grind the exhaust guides down around .060 to clear the retainer at full lift.

IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG
IMG_3524.JPG
IMG_3530.JPG

All and all it was a productive day. Thanks for reading. Eric

Another side project was getting the pulleys pulled out and cleaned up. They turned out pretty clean.

Now to prime and paint them and work on pulley alignment. Shouldn't be to bad. Only accessory we have is the alternator.

IMG_3534.JPG
IMG_3535.JPG

Grandpa was working and Jason was at school, and I had the day off. So I went to work on the cylinder heads.

I got the rest of the exhaust ports plugged with pipe plugs.

IMG_3572.JPG

Our new exhaust valves came in this week. We needed non rotator exhaust valves to get our spring heights correct.

IMG_3574.JPG

Let the lapping begin!

IMG_3583.JPG

And after the lapping I checked the installed height of all 16 valves. I'm amazed at how close they all came out. No shimming required. That's a first. Lol.

IMG_3588.JPG

Thanks for reading. Eric

IMG_3580.JPG

Than I installed the valves, springs, and retainers and locks and filled the cyhamber with mineral spirits (didn't have alcohol) and blew pressurized air through the intake and exhaust ports. It appears to be sealed up well.

I posted this also in the small block section, but wanted to document it in the build thread also.

Thanks for reading and following along on our demented journey. Lol.

Eric

Starting to look like an engine again.

Cylinder heads are assembled and torqued down.

Timing cover, water pump, and oilpan installed and torqued also.

We also took the pile of parts that we had of various pulleys, brackets, and alternators and built an accessory drive. It turned out great and Jason learned all about belt alignment.

IMG_3722.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG

I have been keeping up with your progress. On the home stretch I see.

Thank you for reading. Jason really appreciates it, as do I.

The trans is all rebuilt sitting on my garage floor waiting for us to finish the engine. Lol. But it's been slow going. We're teaching as we assemble so there's lots of questions. Lol

After the engine and trans is bolted in place we're planing on moving to the rear suspension.

Moving the springs in with offset hangers, and spacing the assembly back with a spacer behind the front spring mount to center tire in wheelwell. Just not sure how far yet. Lol.

Than we're going to cram the biggest tire in the wherlwell we can. Lol

Today was a VERY productive day.

We popped the old freeze plugs out, cleaned the holes well, and with the aid of some red loc-tite, installed the new brass freeze plugs.

IMG_3771.JPG

After the freeze plugs we moved onto the 90 degree oil filter adapter installation.

Since this was a truck motor it didn't come with the adapter. We sourced one from Cosgig, MOBRO extraordinaire.

Luckily our Felpro gasket kit came with all three gaskets for the installation.

After cleaning and installing and torquing the attaching bolt to 50 ft/lbs we called it good.

IMG_3772.JPG

Next up, we taped off the surfaces we didn't want painted and cleaned and primed the bare metal engine.

IMG_3774.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

After the primer flashed, we moved onto paint and clear. We kept rotating the engine to get into all the nooks and crannies but eventually got it all painted. It turned out great!

IMG_3780.JPG
IMG_3781.JPG

All and all a productive day.

IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3793.JPG
IMG_3794.JPG

Jason's birthday presents came in this week. As you can see from the pictures, he's a very happy boy. Lol.

Now we just have to determine what size tire to run as a front runner for the perfect height. We're thinking 165/80/15, but aren't sure yet. It's going to depend on ride height.

View attachment 1715152840 View attachment 1715152841 View attachment 1715152842

Jason's birthday presents came in this week. As you can see from the pictures, he's a very happy boy. Lol.

Now we just have to determine what size tire to run as a front runner for the perfect height. We're thinking 165/80/15, but aren't sure yet. It's going to depend on ride height.
What a wonderful knowledge base you are giving that young man! Excellent thread showing a fantastic adventure for you fellas...

Some more progress this week. We cleaned up the exhaust manifolds and painted them hi temp aluminum.

We also painted the rest of the small parts for the engine assembly.

Oil cap
Fan
Alternator brackets
Trans crossmember
Waterpump pulley
Crank pulley
And motor mount brackets.

Slowly but surely it's coming together.

Eric

IMG_3808.JPG
IMG_3823.JPG
IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3825.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3827.JPG

We also figured out that a Ford oil cap fits our Mopar Performance valve covers like a glove.

We are planing on installing a grommet and a PCV valve in the cap, and installing a breather on the opposite side valve cover.

Thanks for reading

Eric

IMG_3828.PNG

-
Back