Favorate band growing up

-
If you get chance, listen to "Exit Stage Left", one of their live albums, and check out the Peart's drum solo on the song YYZ starting at 2:25. No one can compare, ever.

Read the words to all of the songs on "Caress of Steel", not to mention "2112" when you get chance. Something to think about.

If you get chance, listen to "Exit Stage Left", one of their live albums, and check out the Peart's drum solo on the song YYZ starting at 2:25. No one can compare, ever.

Read the words to all of the songs on "Caress of Steel", not to mention "2112" when you get chance. Something to think about.

I'm hoping they play YYZ on the Snakes and Ladders tour, that'll be the highlight of the show!! Got my son watching that Peart solo on u-tube as he's taking drum lessons, I think he's watched it over a hundred times!! Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out the lyrics on Leo's Lyrics website on the net:cheers:

I like all of the British invasion stuff but when my brother brought home Led Zeppelin 1 (when it first came out), as soon as Good Times, Bad Times started..... I was hooked. Tonight I`m going to see "The music of Led Zeppelin played by Zebra and the Va. Symphony Orchestra". It should be pretty cool, just this a.m., Randy Jackson (of Zebra, NOT AMERICAN IDOL LOL) was live in the local radio station studio with a violinist from the orchestra. They did a rendition of The Rain Song that was really moving. It should be a great show.

Wow... where do I start?

THE first band to open my eyes musically was Cream. Jack Bruce was my biggest influence when I first started playing Bass 30-something years ago, followed by Mountain with Felix Pappalardi being the second biggest influnce. I was also into Grand Funk Railroad, Slade, Cactus (Tim Bogart...what a bassist!) Yes, and the Who also. I didn't appreciate Pink Floyd until later in life. Believe it or not, I couldn't STAND the "usual" favorites such as The Stones, Beatles, and Zeppilin. I have a few songs from them all that I like, but they never did much for me. And that's with Paul McCartney, a VERY under-rated Bassist.

These days my favorites are Tool, Rage against the Machine, Blood Simple, Red Hot Chille Peppers (Flea = WOW! on Bass...) and too many more to list....

And speaking of Rush: I've seen them about 10 times (so far...) with tickets to see them this July at Jones Beach out here on Long Island. The first time I took my wife I explained to her that 3/4 of the audience was musicians and that watching Rush live is like attending one big music lesson. Before the show would start I'd strike up conversations with the people around us and eventually ask if they played an instrument; I never guessed wrong! And my wife agreed with me, Geddy Lee has super-human abilities: we've seen him hammering notes with his left hand on the neck of the Bass, using his right hand to play keyboards, and use his feet to play Bass pedals. And sing...all at once! Neil Peart is probably one of the single greatest drummers to ever take a breath on this planet, maybe others as well....

Rush is one of my all time favorites bands. Count on seeing YYZ live...I've never seen them NOT do it. :-D

Randy Jackson (of Zebra, NOT AMERICAN IDOL LOL) was live in the local radio station studio with a violinist from the orchestra. They did a rendition of The Rain Song that was really moving. It should be a great show.

I used to go see Zebra play all the local clubs growing up in Queens, N.Y. back in the late 70-s, early 80's. This was back in the day of big "Rock" clubs. I grew up on a steady diet of Zebra, Twisted Sister, Rat Race Choir, etc...

Zebra was know for playing covers of Led Zeppelin songs better than Zeppelin would. Seeing Zebra play "The Song Remains The Same" was exhilarating... 8)

Motley Crue
Dio
Dokken
Def Leppard
Twisted Sister
Deep Purple
Led Zep
Iron Maiden
Priest
Zebra
Lita Ford
Moody Blues
Ozzy
Quiet Riot
Kiss
Black Sabbath

80's metal head banger here!!!!

George

o.k. i'll admit it . my favorite is KISS , then Tesla and Cinderella. 80's hair metal band's rule also.

kiss_lp.jpg

Fishy,

My 10th birthday I got Led Zep 1, lol. My sisters were trying to start me off right.

Rush is killer. Why have I heard nothing of King Crimson, ELP, April Wine, Allman Bros., Lynrd Skynrd, or Aerosmith? lol! Yes, I have all on vinyl. What about Little Feat? Anybody remember them? Again, on vinyl.

Jeez I cant believe its this far down the list. Must be a southern thang. SKYNYRD, Molly Hatchet Outlaws and Almann Bros. God Dickie Betts on guitar is phenomenal. And I like Tom Petty too but Then ,I was born a rebel ,like the song.

Yea I'm another KISS fan. I grew up listening to them and also Danzig, Misfits, Samhain (I'm a big Glenn Danzig fan), Ozzy, Slayer, Metallica (I don't like anything from there new stuff.), Black Sabbath, Sepultura, Megadeth, and Anthrax. I'm sure I forgot a few.

Great thread!

I can get more ideas for my radio station. We play a mix of new Indie, classic, and current rock. I try to setup playlists that will appeal to as many people as possible. I don't DJ , but load a BOT up when the DJ's are off.

Playing Pearl Jam "Black" atm.

o.k. i'll admit it . my favorite is KISS , then Tesla and Cinderella. 80's hair metal band's rule also.
I dated the bass player from Cinderella. His name was Nigel Collins from Yorkshire England. I went with them to NYC for NYE in 1985 !! :supz::rock:
I also listened to AC/DC, Nazareth (HOTD), Foreigner, Bad CO., Bob Segar and The Silver Bullet Band, Iron Maiden and OZZY. just to name a few.

:cheers:

You can really realize your age after talking to a youngster about a band that you really dug and still listen to when they say " I think I know who you are talking about"

Just wndoering about the generation out here.
My faverates on 8 track pioneer super tuner were Pink Floyd, John Lennon, Yes, Led zepplin, Reo, Bad Finger.

Best of all: Pink Floyd , Dark Side & Led for the Head!

Top one DSOTM.

No acid involved.

Any heavy metal band does it for me, you know what they say If it's too loud, You're too old!!!! :)

Up until about Junior High I was big into Kiss.... then I discovered Black Sabbath and ditched everything else. Since it was the early 80s and the whole heavy metal/thrash thing started to take off, I got into all the underground stuff. Metallica, Megadeth, Venom, Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Anthrax, Overkill, Manowar, etc. Then came the crossover/punk/NYHC scene... Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Kennedys, SOD, Nuclear Assault, DRI, Sick Of It All, Cro-Mags, and stuff like that. There used to be a club here on LI that had pretty big names playing every weekend so I got to see many of these bands on a regular basis.

To mix it all up I played 5th sax in a jazz band while I was in high school and listened to a lot of jazz/swing as well... Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck, etc.

After all that hard rocking and head banging I discovered the Blues and have been listening to a mix of everything ever since, depending on my mood.

And of course... Motorhead, Motorhead and more Motorhead. Motorhead trumps all.

Way back when Hector was a pup it was Aerosmith, J. Giels, Kiss, and Deep Purple. Then throw in some Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, and AC/DC. :headbang:Tim

Well i was born in 86' so im still a youngster but i love Metallica my mom says i use to headbang to them at 2 in my car seat there my number one an no one can knock them off that spot,my faves are STP,Alice in Chains,Godsmack,tool,Manson,anything in the 90's rock,im also a huge fan of country all types new old dont matter,also im love the 50's malt shop tunes an Frank sinatra stuff,AN my number one man Johnny Cash.But i like all types of music im a fan of reba for pete sake!i love a wide variety of tunes but im not a fan of this new RAP CRAP that we have now(lets kill her,rape her,rob her,screw this screw that,)that **** is stupid.Althoght im a big fan of Canada Hip hop (sweatshop union,swollem members,Ok cobra,RJD2,an stuff like that) no about killing homies an **** like that just good lyrics an beats (great for relaxing an gonin for a bike ride!

MIKEY

Rush by far my first choice of influence, always loved Alex Lifeson's amazingly different style unmatched by none, Neil Pearts drums of course unmatched by any other, and his deep lyrics were really fun to listen to a million times until you got them word for word.
Gheddy's voice, again, unmatched by none.
Just a freaking awesome, powerful band with some of the most deep and explosive music ever punched out by three guys.
Saw many, many rush concerts.

Ronnie James Dio, oh hell yeah, the lyrics of the battles between good and evil with good always coming out on top, combined with some of the most talented shredders to ever play.
I swear that Dio is the only singer that can start off a song with the voice as sweet as a womans, then from out of nowhere, this explosion from the depths of hell comes raging out of this little guy with enough energy to make you want to jum off a cliff, land on your feet, climb the mountain, and do it all over again.

Jimi Hendrix, the stuff they never, ever play on the radio, yeah that stuff.

If you like to play guitar, you have to have liked Led Zeppelin, awesome still to this day with some of the most original sounding music from all over the spectrum.
You have to admit, as much as those guys were played on the radio, I still never get sick of their stuff.

Bad Company, nitty gritty, bad ***, Vocals to die for, a must for any party.

Dire Straights, Guitar from hell, oh yeah.

Steve Winwood, before and after Traffic.

Robin Trower.

Pink Floyd, oh yeah, for headphones only!

Foreigner, man they rocked!

Styx, cool.

Argent's one hit wonder-=cool.

Sabbath, stirred things up.

Blue oyster Cult.

Molly Hatchet.

ZZ top.

I liked Skynyrd more while I was younger.

Peter Gabriel.

Phil Collins, Genesis.

How bout Donny iris, Ah Leah!!

Smithereens, cool home town type rockers.

of course Whitesnake, Scorpions, Ratt, Dokken, Metallica, Iron Maiden, the Cult, Tears for fears (chicks dug them).

I liked alot of the 80's British bands too.

Chuck Berry, Buddy Guy, and all the other crazy rock n rollers from the 50's-60's.

Basically I liked anything that had a good beat, and put a smile on my face and I coulkd drive to.

I can't stand this whiner rock crap these depressed teens listen to now days.
No wonder these kids are so freaking miserable.

My influence was my older brother. He was born in 1969, and I was born in 1976. Thanks to him I got into bands like Van Halen (my favorite), Rush, queen, (Brian May and friends - star fleet project), Metallica, Slayer, etc.

I listen to everything from death metal to blues to trance but my favs now and when growing up (born in 78) are.

Metallica
Combichrist
House of Pain
Everlast
KMFDM
Aerosmith
Hank Williams 1, 2, or 3
White Zombie (old stuff before Rob became a douche bag)
Melvins
S.R.V.
Cannibal Corpse
Skinny Puppy
Pretty much anything grunge except Nirvana and Pearl Jam.
Run DMC
DMX
Older Alan Jackson
Bad Religion
Faith No More
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
Old Nine Inch Nails (when they were good)
My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
Sublime
Steve Vai

Doobie Brothers :hippy2::rr:
Eric Clapton ( Cream, Derek and the Dominos )
ZZ Top
Lynyrd Skynyrd :drinkers:
Allman Brothers
Beach Boys
Eagles I'm sure I forgot some!
BTO
Sanford Townsend Band
CCR
Phil Collins (Genesis)
Deep Purple
Rolling Stones
The Guess Who
REO Speedwagon
Steve Miller Band

On the country side :rock:
Alabama
Charlie Daniels band :-({|=

Wow, cant believe this thread got this far without mention of my all time favorite band, The Grateful Dead. Though I like all kinds of music, I was, am, and forever shall be a Deadhead first and foremost.

TopHat

Ah where to start. Number 1 would diffenately be Pink Floyd, then Led Zepplin, then CCR, Supertramp, Uriah Heep, Steppenwolf, Golden Earring, Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, Montrose, Deep Purple, Stevie Nicks (favorite female), some of Fleetwood Mac's stuff, on and on.

Terry

-
Back