Feds want to lower DUI to .05

-
X2

I have news for you. That study is full of ****. All you have to do is ride "with a few different people" --if you have the guts-- and watch THEM drive and talk on the phone.

I'm referring here of people who might be doing MORE than flirting with their girlfriend or blabbing with their friends. I'm speaking of people doing stuff like trying to run a business on the run while driving.

I speak here from experience. I used to have a couple of bosses who were involved with important business decisions while trying to drive. It was NOT pretty, nor was it very comforting to try and "suggest" that they HTFU and drive.

I trust science and research a lot more than a few secondhand accounts. We all know people who are easily distracted on the road. Is it the phone's fault or the person's fault? Should legislation reflect the dimmest people in the nation?

I use to drive talking on the cell phone and do so now using the garbage bluetooth technology.(40k miles/yr) Answer me this: how is it that its legal for me to drive with one hand on the wheel(just natural for me) and talk on the phone through my stereo, but use my free hand to put the phone to my ear and instantly i'm a danger on the road? That's complete BS.

.00 and .01? That's a load of crap. That effectivly makes in nearly impossible to go out of town for a drink with dinner. I'm all for cracking down on drunk driving with a vengence. But at .05, .08 even, you are not impaired enough to cause an accident that you wouldn't have already if you were stone sober. Why don't we increase the penalties for people that drive drunk instead of cracking the whip on the responsible people? Make it law that ALL bars and establishments that serve alchohol have a breathalizer in house for people to use before they get in the drivers seat. I'm tired of having my rights taken away from me because a bunch of no good f-ups cant use their brains.

x2

I trust science and research a lot more than a few secondhand accounts. .

The problem is, you're not trusting "science and research" because whatever study you dreamed you think you are referring to is WRONG. There have been numerous "science and research" studies on this subject and they support exactly what I said earlier.

I'm sure you can find some that claim the opposite--and in some cases you'd better find out just who commissioned them. Verizon Wireless comes to mind.

And I don't need "second hand" either. I see this every single day FIRST hand.

In one case (happened to be two women) one not paying attention saved the *** of the other one-- yapping on the phone

I rolled up to some woman in a pickup at a light just after it turned green. She wasn't moving, and wasn't about to, as she was yapping on the phone and fiddling with paperwork. Just as I was reaching for that special communications device implanted in my steering wheel assembly, a second woman came from the cross street and through the red light--at 30 plus--yakking on HER phone.

I see this crap all the time. I know not what planet you are on that you don't.

Should legislation reflect the dimmest people in the nation?.

Hell if we used this logic, we wouldn't need laws against things like murder. We could just say "most people won't hurt anybody, why do we need laws against murder?"

The problem is, you're not trusting "science and research" because whatever study you dreamed you think you are referring to is WRONG. There have been numerous "science and research" studies on this subject and they support exactly what I said earlier.

I'm sure you can find some that claim the opposite--and in some cases you'd better find out just who commissioned them. Verizon Wireless comes to mind.

In one case (happened to be two women) one not paying attention saved the *** of the other one-- yapping on the phone

I rolled up to some woman in a pickup at a light just after it turned green. She wasn't moving, and wasn't about to, as she was yapping on the phone and fiddling with paperwork. Just as I was reaching for that special communications device implanted in my steering wheel assembly, a second woman came from the cross street and through the red light--at 30 plus--yakking on HER phone.

I see this crap all the time. I know not what planet you are on that you don't.

Wrong how? because it disagrees with your experience. Its almost laughable, i drive 4x the average person. Don't you think i'd have a decent perspective on the issue?

But hey, have fun joining the sheeple and scapegoating a communication device rather than looking at the people who are incapable of driving and talking.

Or will we soon ban conversations while in the car? Surely another human being is more distracted than a phone.

I see this crap all the time. I know not what planet you are on that you don't.[/I]

He answered where's he from:

He's justifying his own usage as an excuse:

I trust science and research a lot more than a few secondhand accounts. We all know people who are easily distracted on the road. Is it the phone's fault or the person's fault? Should legislation reflect the dimmest people in the nation?

I use to drive talking on the cell phone and do so now using the garbage bluetooth technology.(40k miles/yr) Answer me this: how is it that its legal for me to drive with one hand on the wheel(just natural for me) and talk on the phone through my stereo, but use my free hand to put the phone to my ear and instantly i'm a danger on the road? That's complete BS.

In another words, the law is an inconvenience to you.

Pretty much how I see everyone talking about the legal limit.

One of the issues with people is that they think they can multi-task when they can't.

Here's an idea: focus on your damned job. In this case, the job is driving, any time you get behind the wheel. It's not the secondary task, it's the primary task.

Anything which impairs that task is a risk to you and to others. Booze, cell, radio, even your passengers.

I don't know about you, but when I see folks around me on the highway, I know there's a mutual agreement of safety. I won't kill them, they won't kill me. Honestly, I get pissed when someone is so f***ing self-important they think they're the only ones on the road, never taking into account the safety of those around them.

Really, if you were on the job and jeopardized your co-workers in such a manner, how soon to you think you'd be on the unemployment line?

Now, why would you do anything to jeopardize the lives of those around you on the road? They're lives are in your hands as easily as your life is in theirs. It would be nice if people remembered that.

Hell if we used this logic, we wouldn't need laws against things like murder. We could just say "most people won't hurt anybody, why do we need laws against murder?"

Equating cell phone usage to murder. That's fun and not in every way irrelevant....oh wait.

So, pro gun control too right? stupid/bad people commit said murders with guns, therefore ban gun usage?

.00 and .01? That's a load of crap. That effectivly makes in nearly impossible to go out of town for a drink with dinner. I'm all for cracking down on drunk driving with a vengence. But at .05, .08 even, you are not impaired enough to cause an accident that you wouldn't have already if you were stone sober. Why don't we increase the penalties for people that drive drunk instead of cracking the whip on the responsible people? Make it law that ALL bars and establishments that serve alchohol have a breathalizer in house for people to use before they get in the drivers seat. I'm tired of having my rights taken away from me because a bunch of no good f-ups cant use their brains.

Agreed.

I very rarely drink. Maybe one drink in two months. But if I'm out an want to have that one drink I don't want to have to worry about being "over" some stupid limit. .00 or .01 or want to have to worry about the alcohol level in cough syrup or mouthwash. There is probably nothing wrong with .05. Distracted driving.... maybe you shouldn't have a cup of coffee or drink of water either? Maybe the radio is a distraction.. lets take the radios out of cars, what about your touch screen navi? You can run that without taking your eyes off the road?? Some people just can't drive PERIOD.

as I told another member ,less than a week ago, 1/2 mile from my house , a roll back operator so busy bullshitting with his phone, blows through the stop sign at the top of my street, slams into a man and woman coming home from an anniversary gathering, kills them both on impact. of course the dude lives , and even admits looking down at his phone and never saw the sign. the impact was so loud I heard it from my yard. just sickening.....

I have been guilty of having a few and driving before, it's not cool. The last 8 years or so if I go out, I have a sober ride home or take a cab. I have even walked home several mile before from the bar as well. It's not worth it, you can lose so much, especially the right to drive your old cars. I always plan on paying for a cab, and sometimes is expensive if I am out of town a little ways, but then again it's cheaper than getting a DWI!

When I have a few and I am in my Mopar's, I always feel like I have to lay rubber down or get crazy, so I chose not to drive them if I drink, plus, they always draw the cops attention, even when everyday driving, so the chance of getting busted is always there.

Sorry if this got a little off topic, but no matter what the level is set at, the cab will be my ride home.....or the closest couch lol!!

I have been guilty of having a few and driving before, it's not cool. The last 8 years or so if I go out, I have a sober ride home or take a cab. I have even walked home several mile before from the bar as well. It's not worth it, you can lose so much, especially the right to drive your old cars. I always plan on paying for a cab, and sometimes is expensive if I am out of town a little ways, but then again it's cheaper than getting a DWI!

When I have a few and I am in my Mopar's, I always feel like I have to lay rubber down or get crazy, so I chose not to drive them if I drink, plus, they always draw the cops attention, even when everyday driving, so the chance of getting busted is always there.

Sorry if this got a little off topic, but no matter what the level is set at, the cab will be my ride home.....or the closest couch lol!!

Good choice Keith! Thank you and anyone else that follows these drinking rules!

as I told another member ,less than a week ago, 1/2 mile from my house , a roll back operator so busy bullshitting with his phone, blows through the stop sign at the top of my street, slams into a man and woman coming home from an anniversary gathering, kills them both on impact. of course the dude lives , and even admits looking down at his phone and never saw the sign. the impact was so loud I heard it from my yard. just sickening.....

Wow, that's really sad to hear Lance, scary thing is that could have been you too if you were pulling out of your driveway or going for a walk...just can never be too careful. I hope you can get that memory out of your head.....

Shoot I use to crawl down the sidewalk to the nearest bushes for the night! :D

I have to tell you guys that this God Dammed texting, yakking on the phones and etc might very well, at this point, be a worse problem than DUI, not that I'm defending DUI, either

BINGO!

It also my opinion that .05 will do nothing to stop drunks from driving that .08 is not already doing, and it will only serve to create a new group of criminals. More revenue for the various state and local governments, and higher insurance premiums to be collected by the insurance companies.

I'm not a drinker, and I'm not defending driving under the influence by any stretch of the imagination., but, this is quite simply more government, that we don't need, and more government that does nothing to solve the problem.

Wow, that's really sad to hear Lance, scary thing is that could have been you too if you were pulling out of your driveway or going for a walk...just can never be too careful. I hope you can get that memory out of your head.....
it was horrific . the only way you could tell what they were driving was by the tailgate. its one time I really didn't want to see F-150. I didn't sleep much that night. Donna left flowers at the stop sign. just goes to show how fast it can end when we are surrounded by idiots...

Shoot I use to crawl down the sidewalk to the nearest bushes for the night! :D

LMAO, reminds me of a story! One time I was drunk and spent all my money so I decided to walk home after bar close cause I had no cab fare. It was a nice cool night, great for a long walk, I got half way home and I seen a cop driving slow, he was looking for something.....turns out it was me! Funny thing is, I had no reason to be nervous but I was and I went and hid in some bushes by the train yard....well, the cop seen me and had me come out some could talk to me.....I told him I was drinking and didn't want to drive so I decided to walk home. He thanked me for doing so but said it's not always safe to walk home like that (I was in a bad part of town) so he had me hop in his squad and gave me a ride home. After one block, he got an emergency call and next thing I know he is flying down the streets with his lights and sirens on, he got me home in about 3 mins lmao!!!! He dropped me off ands away he went.....nice of him to give me a lift :D

BINGO!

It also my opinion that .05 will do nothing to stop drunks from driving that .08 is not already doing, and it will only serve to create a new group of criminals. More revenue for the various state and local governments, and higher insurance premiums to be collected by the insurance companies.

I'm not a drinker, and I'm not defending driving under the influence by any stretch of the imagination., but, this is quite simply more government, that we don't need, and more government that does nothing to solve the problem.

X2. This is exactly what I told my wife today, lol. We don't drink at all either.

Lowering the limit won't stop people from drinking and driving. Just like making alcohol illegal stopped people from drinking?

Think of the revenue stopping folks coming out of communion on Sunday morning.

Lowering the limit will mean more arrests but it won't stop the serious hardcore drunks because they don't care what the law is.

There have been arrests made around here where people routinely blow well over .1 and occasionally over .2 and one over .3 Most of these people were repeat offenders. There was an arrest made recently where the guy had a record of alcohol related offenses going back 20 yrs. he did some jail time but he was still driving. Stuff like this seems to happen alot, they just don't care what the law is, they're going to keep driving.

Don't get me started about cell phones. I've had two confirmed near misses with dumbasses on phones. I've personally witnessed way too much bad driving behavior by people on cell phones. There was a crash in this area early this year where a girl yakking on her phone didn't notice the TRAIN she ran into. She was lucky, she lived to tell about it, most aren't.

At .05% a 120lb person would be legally drunk with one drink.... Personally I think its rediculus and yet another example of the government trying to tackle a problem *** backwards. Even .08% does not inpair a person to be a threat on the road. If they are going to make a change in drunk driving they need to go after enforcement, not playing with these stupid BA levels. Set up more traffic stops, less tolerance for convicted DWI etc..

And yes, I fully support clamping down on the most dangerous road hazzard of phones and texting while driving. This is without a doubt the biggest road hazzard there is these days...

-
Back