Feds want to lower DUI to .05

-
I don,t know the exact stats on deaths from drunk drivers,but I,m sure the .05 limit makes people think twice about having another then getting behind the wheel.

I have to tell you guys that this God Dammed texting, yakking on the phones and etc might very well, at this point, be a worse problem than DUI, not that I'm defending DUI, either

.00 and .01? That's a load of crap. That effectivly makes in nearly impossible to go out of town for a drink with dinner. I'm all for cracking down on drunk driving with a vengence. But at .05, .08 even, you are not impaired enough to cause an accident that you wouldn't have already if you were stone sober. Why don't we increase the penalties for people that drive drunk instead of cracking the whip on the responsible people? Make it law that ALL bars and establishments that serve alchohol have a breathalizer in house for people to use before they get in the drivers seat. I'm tired of having my rights taken away from me because a bunch of no good f-ups cant use their brains.

I have to tell you guys that this God Dammed texting, yakking on the phones and etc might very well, at this point, be a worse problem than DUI, not that I'm defending DUI, either

absolutely

.00 and .01? That's a load of crap. That effectivly makes in nearly impossible to go out of town for a drink with dinner. I'm all for cracking down on drunk driving with a vengence. But at .05, .08 even, you are not impaired enough to cause an accident that you wouldn't have already if you were stone sober. Why don't we increase the penalties for people that drive drunk instead of cracking the whip on the responsible people? Make it law that ALL bars and establishments that serve alchohol have a breathalizer in house for people to use before they get in the drivers seat. I'm tired of having my rights taken away from me because a bunch of no good f-ups cant use their brains.

well when your best friend is killed by some asshole running a red light driving with .07 in his system it might change your mind...driving with any level of alcohol in your system is just not cool in my book

that's MY opinion..
yes its a touchy subject for me. driving with any alcohol in your system is knowingly putting peoples lives in danger and not giving a ****

Then drink water, or tea, or coke. Who says you must have alcohol? Do you need it?

Our's is called Buzz driving if you get tested and have .05 ..... I agree
100% that texting and phone use has got to quit!! I have avoided 2 bad head on wrecks in 2 years because of it....

DADBURNIT PAW!! These here saintly carpet baggers want ta take ours likker driven rites, aint rite iffen a feller cant abibe one or to whiles out on da town. Ma wont be able ta get ta da dry goods store afta taken her coughen remedy.

Attachments

• bonanza_hoss.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 265
In my opinion the problem is not the .08 level, its the lax penalty for being a repeat offender. Not too long ago in the seattle area, some dirtbag POS with 4 DUI convictions and another one pending in a different county, mowed down a family in a crosswalk while intoxicated. He was supposed to have an ignition interlock device installed in his truck but no follow up was ever done by law enforcement to make sure he had done it. I don't have all of the answers but I have a few ideas. I would like to see a special license plate issued for anyone convicted of more than one DUI. I also think that if you are ordered to install an ignition interlock device that your vehicle is towed from the courthouse to the installation location and you can't pick it up until the device is operational. As for the device itself, it should take a picture of whoever is blowing in the tube, as I witnessed a lady have her roughly 12 year old daughter blow into it in traffic once (I called the cops on that dumb b*tch). It should be mandatory that the device is logged in to the authorities at least once a week or the car won't start until it is.

73 AbodEE- First off, sorry for your loss. Sincerly. BUT That was the driver not paying attention to his surroundings, people run red lights sober just the same as drunk.73Dart273- I do have the right to go out and enjoy a beverage, tea, water or a beer or two. But then again I'm responsible. If I'm driving, then it's one while I wait for food and another with the food. It's not every time I go out either. But I shouldnt have the right to choose my beverage because some prick cant control himself. If that was the case we'd all be driving two cylinder milk crates so they wouldnt go fast enough to actually kill.RustyRatRod- No I don't "NEED" alchohol, and I drink MUCH more of the drinks you have listed than I do any form of alchohol. I happen to enjoy the taste of various brews.12Valve- 100% agree. The plates idea is a good one, i hadn't thought of that.

I don't drink, so if anyone is in my area and finds themselves in need of a safe ride home, I'd be happy to get you there.

That's actually not true at all. A study came out right AFTER Ca passed their idiotic cell phone law. Talking on your phone has little-to no effect.

texting is fair game, but i'm so sick of people getting up in arms over people simply using their cell phone to talk while driving. Its harmless.

As for the DUI limit. I've got no opinion. I almost never drink so its not terribly relevant to me.

Studies mean nothing. They can be skewed to mean whatever someone wants. I don't make calls while driving, but I have taken a few. I can tell you first hand, that study is full of ****. I consider myself a very good driver, but the phone is a definite distraction. No doubt about it. Now if I get a call while driving, it goes to voice mail and I check it soon as I am stopped. Anything that causes you to take your eyes off the road is a distraction. Anything.

X2^^ I ain't defending drunk driving either, but just wait until they tell you that you can't listen to or sing along with your radio because it is distracting. Perhaps the fact that you were in an argument with your partner took your mind off the situation at hand and you caused an accident, then what? Hell just being in a conversation is distracting, depending on what the conversation is about.....Including phone calls. Texting is a no brainer for me, it is bad. If the consequence is more severe POSSIBLY the action will be less attractive. But trying to make society safer by bubble wrapping everyone is NOT going to work. It has also recently been changed to .05% in Alberta, but I will guarantee you that those who drove drunk before at a .08% limit are only .03% more over the limit now than they were before. It won't stop the problem.

that study is full of ****. .

X2

That's actually not true at all. A study came out right AFTER Ca passed their idiotic cell phone law. Talking on your phone has little-to no effect..

I have news for you. That study is full of ****. All you have to do is ride "with a few different people" --if you have the guts-- and watch THEM drive and talk on the phone.

I'm referring here of people who might be doing MORE than flirting with their girlfriend or blabbing with their friends. I'm speaking of people doing stuff like trying to run a business on the run while driving.

I speak here from experience. I used to have a couple of bosses who were involved with important business decisions while trying to drive. It was NOT pretty, nor was it very comforting to try and "suggest" that they HTFU and drive.

DADBURNIT PAW!! These here saintly carpet baggers want ta take ours likker driven rites, aint rite iffen a feller cant abibe one or to whiles out on da town. Ma wont be able ta get ta da dry goods store afta taken her coughen remedy.

Roflmao! God forbid I get pulled over after using my mouth wash...

73 AbodEE- First off, sorry for your loss. Sincerly. BUT That was the driver not paying attention to his surroundings, people run red lights sober just the same as drunk..
thank you, and yes you are right , it happens every day with or without alcohol, its just an aggravating factor, but the thing is , 4 more mouthfuls would have put him over the limit here. I don't drink , but its still in the back of my mind every time I pass through an intersection what could happen because some jackass decided he would take a chance with that last one for the road. don't get me wrong , I was young and dumb once and I used to put em' away right there with the next guy , but after that incident, it was enough to convince me that liquor and a steering wheel don't mix , in any amount, and I had taken my last drink.

-
Back