Feedback for this aftermarket column install please.

-

LIME TWIST DART

Reaction score
I have this Helix tilt column that came with my project. I'm gonna describe what I'm thinking to do for install, but I'm looking for feedback and suggestions; other ways to go, options. I want to make sure that its properly secured and looks clean.

The column is a manual floor shift with a 2" tube and is about 32" in length. It will be mated to a Flaming River quick ratio box. This will be next to a 360 based 408 with TTI headers.

I plan to use a 2" swivel base through the firewall, possibly mounted to the factory bracket,(so the entire opening is covered). This is where I'm looking for some ideas. Anybody done something similar?

For under the dash I was looking at a couple different column drops/mounts from flaming river. Of course they ain't cheap. Using the half bracket will allow the column to sit up against the upper dash mount, but not sure how secure that would be compared to the full bracket. The full bracket would keep the column about 1/2" to 3/4" lower than the half bracket.

My plan was to install steering box, loosely mount the column, then adjust the depth with consideration to the added length created by wheel adapter and wheel. Lastly, mate the column with box based on the left over distance.

Any thoughts, feedback or links to other posts or threads are appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 10.31.41 AM.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 310
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 10.32.00 AM.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 261
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 7.02.33 PM.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 6.38.57 PM.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 7.40.07 PM.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 7.21.38 PM.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 275
I have the similar column from summit in my car with flaming river u-joint and stock manual steering box. I mounted it to the dash using a universal mount from ididit and used the stock mount that goes through the firewall. I added a rubber grommet around the 2" end of the column as it passes through. I will try to get some pics later. Hope this helps

I have the similar column from summit in my car with flaming river u-joint and stock manual steering box. I mounted it to the dash using a universal mount from ididit and used the stock mount that goes through the firewall. I added a rubber grommet around the 2" end of the column as it passes through. I will try to get some pics later. Hope this helps

Much appreciated. I have a stock firewall mount on the way. Was hoping to use it with little to no modification. I wasn't sure what the diameter on it was. Pics would be great if you get a chance.

Why not use all the stock Mopar steering column mounting brackets, or is there a difference in the column tube diameter? I'm looking at this down the road too.

Why not use all the stock Mopar steering column mounting brackets, or is there a difference in the column tube diameter? I'm looking at this down the road too.

Probably could, but not sure its ideal. The original upper bracket is designed to be fastened to the column and then the bracket to the dash. The factory mount locations do not exist on the aftermarket columns. Therefore, without making modifications, you would essentially be sandwiching the column to the dash. It would be held under pressure, but without bolts directly to the column. All this assumes that the original column is at or less then 2". Otherwise the bracket would be too big for the 2" aftermarket. I don't know the stock column diameter. My project didn't come with a column or brackets. All of the above is why I plan to use the aftermarket mount that bolts up to the stock dash bolt locations. A set screw in the column bracket combined with a set screw in an aftermarket floor bracket would secure the depth. You can modify the new column to work with all the stock brackets, but it requires skills I don't currently have.

This thread is short but its the best one I have found on here. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=261978&highlight=flaming+river

Also, the approach will likely vary depending on the use of a short or long column, particularly where the housing(long column) or shaft(short column) passes through the firewall. After looking at the link I posted above, it looks like the stock bracket is too big to just sandwich the column.

The stock column is 2.25 diameter. I am using a stock column on a 73 Swinger with a very clean shaved firewall. The plan is to shorten the stock housing to just inside the firewall. 1.25 hole through the firewall for the shaft only. Lower housing will be held in place with a bracket from Outlaw Performance.

The stock column is 2.25 diameter. I am using a stock column on a 73 Swinger with a very clean shaved firewall. The plan is to shorten the stock housing to just inside the firewall. 1.25 hole through the firewall for the shaft only. Lower housing will be held in place with a bracket from Outlaw Performance.

2.25" tells me that a stock upper bracket couldn't sandwich a 2" aftermarket column. It would have to be modified. Looks like I'll be using an aftermarket upper bracket like on of those in my original post. Just need to decide on the half or full.

Since your doing a shaft only through the firewall, is that lower bracket from Outlaw a bearing style?

-
Back