Feeling violated

-
Why is it that Mopar owners seem to be taken advantage of by price gouging, it's rediculus.

I believe the words you're looking for are "economy of scale".

Fyi, no producer of parts is out to rape you on price. That just nets him no sales and he's out of business. His goal is to be able to sell as much as possible and make $1 a hundred times instead of $100 one time.

It's all about volume.
If a vendor sells 100 Chevy parts to 10 Mopar parts, there isn't much incentive to keep the prices the same or develop a better product.
I think we've got it good these days as opposed to 30 years ago when your only hope was N.O.S. or good luck finding used parts that were worth using at all.

Hell when Mopar went bankrupt back in 80's you could not get any parts for the older stuff.
Tons more stuff now than back then. I passed on buying a 1969 Dodge Hemi charger in 1984 because it need pistons and one head. You could not find Hemi parts then, unless you had a lot $$$

You need to move to Canada or Australia, buy a few things and you would wish you were back in the good old USA. Shipping was bad enough, now the dollar difference makes it a killer, might as well figure on double what it is advertised for in the US.

I don't. I have given good parts for shipping. Yes I have. And there are lots of Mopar Heads that will do the same.

I've done the same thing and I've also sold things at full price as well. You have to these days. If you're always the nice guy, eventually you won't have any cash for your own project while other guys build theirs cheap and/or use your parts to flip for more money. Just wish the state of affairs was different these days.

You need to move to Canada or Australia, buy a few things and you would wish you were back in the good old USA. Shipping was bad enough, now the dollar difference makes it a killer, might as well figure on double what it is advertised for in the US.

Yeah, tell me about it. That MRL 408 Stroker in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago was real tempting (if I had any money, that is) but its almost another 3K just for the exchange rate on top of shipping. Guess my 360 will have to do for the next little while.

Hope nothing breaks this year. Nothing expensive at any rate.

Steve

We get taken advantage of in Australia!
I got a quote on a secondary air pump for a Chrysler Crossfire from the dealership at $7,065 AUD (no labour charge, just the part price) when the same part costs $1,100 USD from Mopar and $738 USD online.
Under a Mercedes part number the same part will cost $165 USD.
I don't understand how the Aussie price is possible.

The hobby requires two things, a willing buyer and a willing seller. I really don't understand all the whining. Used to be able to buy a finished car for 5K, (dating myself a bit here) now 5K gets you a project that might be able to be finished for another 10 to 15K. We are in a hell of an inflationary spiral as anyone who has been doing this for a long time can tell you. The sad part about that is the young folks who want to build cars are the ones with the least disposable income-makes it hard on them. I will replace my vin tag to its home with small stainless steel metal screws and won't feel like the car is any less valuable to me or anyone else. It only costs what buyers of any stripe are willing to pay!
Rant complete------------DR-----------:protest:

Priced any parts for a C3 vette lately?
I can tell you they cost way more than parts for a Mopar.

seems to me restored cars, brought more $$ before the financial fall of '08. used parts on average were higher too. desirable project cars like 69 383 roadrunners are still high and have been for what 10-12 years or so. and I don't seem them get any cheaper. as a group the b body ands e bodies guys are in a general different price group. yes they are still tightwads when it comes to buying cars and parts, but are used to these cars having a general higher price/value than our average a bodies.

as far as slant stuff for in stance, slantsix.org is way more hobby/price friendly than FABO in general. FABO seems to me to be more commercial.

I have never been a money guy. when I started in quarter horses at sell him, to pay for MY horse. was the same when I started playing with these mopars. same deal. I see nothing wrong with it.???????

I love to see kids that start with a pos car and start building on it. When they come looking for parts they understand how much they can spend. They don't expect to build a big block dart 4 speed Dana and have it given to them. When that six fires up the look in their eyes is amazing. Then they drive it for a while and get a few more bucks for an upgrade. These are the ones that get more than their money's worth from me. The ones that whine about how everyone mistreats them and they sit on their butts until mommy and daddy or even worse they sit up a "help me fix my car" fund???? They deserve nothing!!!- I'm done!!!

I don't. I have given good parts for shipping. Yes I have. And there are lots of Mopar Heads that will do the same.

And he will take his time to go to a pick a part, cut the part out, box it up and ship it across country to someone he doesn't even know, because he is a good guy..........Had to get the plug in for you TIM, thanks for being a good guy!

One reason that our parts cost more goes back a long way, Chrysler wouldn't give many aft market companies permission to reproduce the parts, so much harder to get.

Ford and GM has always been better with the aftermarket giving permission for them to repop parts, which makes it cheaper for them to do and more vendors.

Everyone that owns an A Body should be very happy today with the number of parts available to restore a car. When I built mine there wasn't near the parts available and looking for good used was the only option.

As stated, it's about the money. Large quantities sold = lower prices.

And he will take his time to go to a pick a part, cut the part out, box it up and ship it across country to someone he doesn't even know, because he is a good guy..........Had to get the plug in for you TIM, thanks for being a good guy!

One reason that our parts cost more goes back a long way, Chrysler wouldn't give many aft market companies permission to reproduce the parts, so much harder to get.

Ford and GM has always been better with the aftermarket giving permission for them to repop parts, which makes it cheaper for them to do and more vendors.

Everyone that owns an A Body should be very happy today with the number of parts available to restore a car. When I built mine there wasn't near the parts available and looking for good used was the only option.

maybe some old timers remember John Harden from years back, vendor from Mo, closed down some years ago. he called his business Hardens muscle car world, now,, it was ALL 100 % Mopar, but Mother Mopar back in the 90's made a big STINK out of him and others using their trademarked name Mopar in their business, so John changed the name from Hardens mopar to musclecar. Mopar like the other guy said, Has never been very user friendly to the repop market. they don't want to really do it, but don't want to make it easy for someone to do it, that might take a $ from mopars pocket!???

like it or not too. Mopar doesn not really still exit, its Fiat, and mopar went pretty much away ions ago. I know stating that ruffles some feathers, but......

I gue$$ when it's all said and done, we can look back and enjoy what we sunk all that money into as others look on with awe at what we have helped each other accomplish. Keep'em rollin

I felt violated for a second one time. My finger slipped through the toilet paper, but it ended up bein the best piece of *** I ever had.

I felt violated for a second one time. My finger slipped through the toilet paper, but it ended up bein the best piece of *** I ever had.

rusty, you didn`t have to share that w/ us ! but, I agree w/ desert rat. I`ll put my fender tag back on w/ something stronger and better than the factory did. don`t need them now, but I would like to see someone re-pop a quality fender for the 67-8-9 barracudas. they could make them like the 67`s and let the buyer do their own side marker holes or not. the 69`s would be the worst, but wouldn`t be that hard. :protest:

As stated, it's about the money. Large quantities sold = lower prices.

Pretty much. A lot of it can be attributed to economies of scale. It's more efficient to produce a large quantity of something than it is to make a small batch. For every one Mopar intake that's made, there's how many times more Chevy intakes made? You can see this reflected in the price.

I guess it's the price we pay to have something different from the norm :burnout:

The mopar hobby has come a long way in the last ten years. Early A body is quite surprising what you can get. BUT it will cost you some Duckets!

Helped the old man put together the Duster back in '88, 89... Who the hell builds a Duster?

Went looking for sheet metal. None. The spare tire well center section was the only thing available new. If you could find quarters then you were paying shipping from somewhere dry to get them and the shipping alone made it a nightmare.

Now? One phone call to AMD or authorized distributors, a couple of clicks on the internet and low and behold you can damn near rebuild the whole car with new parts. For a Duster.

That was something that only the GM guys got to enjoy with tri-50's Chevies and F-bodies. Mustang guys could do it. Even the E-body guys didn't get to enjoy all the restoration parts the Chevy guys and Mustang guys got.

Now, instead of enjoying the access of parts on the market to help build our cars we complain about the price of those parts.

Rusty is the man!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz7PkP94Mmo"]Minions Laugh serach the top ten ringtone factory in itunes on your iphone for funny minion ringtone - YouTube[/ame]

if you count the time to drive ,buy gas, look at rust buckets that people put in an ad as good conditions, then go to salvage yards and fight the snakes and wasp, and the owners know that there are few 60s and 70s that wasnt crushed, and you have to dickker on price, plus trying to get under a car on 4 flats, the time plus the calls your profit on parts go out the window.

-
Back