Feels Great To Be Able To Work On Your Own Car

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been messing around with the '65 Commando 273 4 speed Barracuda this past week. The first thing I did was get the tach I got from physixx installed. I also tested the factory Barracuda tach that it came with and that amazingly works too. Were not going to be using that tach. My dad and I cleaned the fuel filter, re-routed the fuel line from the pump to the carb cause it was like a 1/4 of an inch away from the engine belt, did an oil change and greased all the front end fittings. Today I took off the carb and spent the day rebuilding it all by my self. The AFB carb is some much simpler than I was expecting and also was the first car carb I've rebuilt \\:D/ It started right up when I put it back on, just had to fiddle with the adjustment needles a little and now its running better that ever :cheers: Man that 273 will sing happily to 6,000rpm & beyond :iconbigg: My dad brought home dealer plates from his work so we were able to finally take it on the street. :cya: I got to drive it and enjoy my acomplishment of rebuilding the carb 8-[ This was the first time a drove a stick on the road, I've always just driven around the property. It was also the first time for me for driving a muscle car. Man was it fun :toothy7: and it sounded GREAT!!!!. We did however find that it's going to need a brand new clutch kit though & the slop taken out of the shifter :( All it needs after that is some gears in the rear. We were cruising on the backroads at 55mph at 2,400rpm in 3rd!!!!!! Anyways I just wanted to share my excitement and my accomplishment with you guys. :toothy5:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 446
  • 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 472
  • 3.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 431
  • 4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 436
  • 5.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 459
  • 6.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 434
Well that's great! Sounds you are having a good time with your Dad. I kinda like Barracudas myself. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

More pictures to post tomorrow. Heres a video of the tach:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREv26Fa_ZQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREv26Fa_ZQ[/ame]

Well that's great! Sounds you are having a good time with your Dad. I kinda like Barracudas myself. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Thanks! It was neat for my dad because it brought back memories of driving his 289, 4 speed '63 Ferd Fairlane from back in the '80s. Funny thing is is that he still has that car and like the Barracuda, needed clutch work and gears in the rear. :toothy10:

Sounds like good times,it,s always good when you can wrench with family or friends.Always learning something new.\\:D/

If you're not going to use that factory tach you can probably get a pretty good chunk of change for it.

How much do you think it's worth? I have the tach, sending unit, wiring harness that plugs into the dash harness, and the metal dash frame that is made for the tach. And of course the tach works.

-
Back