Fel-Pro 1008 race head gasket pushrod impact?

-

DemonSwede

Reaction score
So I’m replacing the head gaskets in my 340 as I need to remove one of the heads anyway to get a broken exhaust stud out.
Thread 'Drill exhaust manifold bolt - Remove head or not?'
Drill exhaust manifold bolt - Remove head or not?

I’ve got the Fel-Pro 8553s now that I believe has a compressed thickness of around 0.050”. Would moving to the 1008s with a 0.039” thickness have a material impact on my pushrod length or do you think the 0.011” difference would be absorbed by the lifters and lash? I’ve got the standard hydraulic lifters and non adjustable valve train.

So I’m replacing the head gaskets in my 340 as I need to remove one of the heads anyway to get a broken exhaust stud out.
Thread 'Drill exhaust manifold bolt - Remove head or not?'
Drill exhaust manifold bolt - Remove head or not?

I’ve got the Fel-Pro 8553s now that I believe has a compressed thickness of around 0.050”. Would moving to the 1008s with a 0.039” thickness have a material impact on my pushrod length or do you think the 0.011” difference would be absorbed by the lifters and lash? I’ve got the standard hydraulic lifters and non adjustable valve train.
Your pushrods will never know.

Were the stock head gaskets steel shim?
.017 thick?
My stock 318 when overhauled, I used Mr Gasket head gaskets, .025 thick, no issues, the lifters will absorb that amount.

Were the stock head gaskets steel shim?
.017 thick?
My stock 318 when overhauled, I used Mr Gasket head gaskets, .025 thick, no issues, the lifters will absorb that amount.
Yep

stock head gasket on 920.jpg

If you can find MP #P4349557, that part number is actually a pair of felpro 1008's available from Dodge store CHEAP. I should have ordered 2 or 3 sets. :BangHead:

Here is the easy answer;
Check the preload before you take the heads off.
yur 340 is nearly 50 years old, so who knows what's going on under the covers.
Seeing as how you are in Sweden, back to the top;

You never asked but I assume shipping can't be cheap where you are. So grab some good Fel-Pro #1213 intake gaskets at the same time.
Do it once right.
I also use the gray silicone on the front and back China walls (i toss the cork gaskets in the bin)

intake2.JPG.jpg

#1213's are fine if you have the room for them, at 1/16" thick.

-
Back