Fender install question?

-

GStewart

Reaction score
Pulled the fenders off my 71 Demon to install new AMD fenders. There appears to be sound deadener/seam sealer on the inner fender flange where the fender bolts on along the top. My question, what if anything should be applied to this area before reassembly? Thanks.

Well, the factory stuff did a good job of holding moisture and rusting them out. Might be better off with nothing there.

for sure do something or you will end up with rust between the fender flange and the inner fender panel rail guaranteed! remember there is no front inner fender panel so all the spray off your tires soaks this seam. after installation, a heavy shot of good rubberized undercoating from the inside of the fender will help to assure that it is sealed from moisture

One caution. If you put a type of seam sealer on there, don't do it until you do the final alignment on the fender. Once it sets up, you won't be able to align the fenders.

Some classics ( my 67 Plymouths for example ) had adhesive backed foam weather stripping laid along there. about 1 inch wide, 1/8th thick.
Dodge and others had a bead of extruded caulk. Both would hold water and cause eventual rust. From what I have seen the narrow of caulk held small pockets of water more than the foam. for example, There's a thread here about flipper/scammer, Duster turned Demon? anyway... in that video the potential buyer pointed out the rust through at about middle of this seam. My 67 Plymouths have no major rust here although they are rusted at other typical locations.
Pull a fender from a much later Ford, Honda, any... you wont find anything more than painted metal bolted to painted metal. There's my sign that mfgrs figured out it wasn't necessary and probably does more harm that good.

Some classics ( my 67 Plymouths for example ) had adhesive backed foam weather stripping laid along there. about 1 inch wide, 1/8th thick.
Dodge and others had a bead of extruded caulk. Both would hold water and cause eventual rust. From what I have seen the narrow of caulk held small pockets of water more than the foam. for example, There's a thread here about flipper/scammer, Duster turned Demon? anyway... in that video the potential buyer pointed out the rust through at about middle of this seam. My 67 Plymouths have no major rust here although they are rusted at other typical locations.
Pull a fender from a much later Ford, Honda, any... you wont find anything more than painted metal bolted to painted metal. There's my sign that mfgrs figured out it wasn't necessary and probably does more harm that good.

My Dart had the foam you speak of and it was obvious it held moisture between the two panels.
When the fender went back on I used the strip caulk and ran it right on the outer edge of the inner fender so water can't get in there between the two panels at all.
Then sprayed that seam from inside the fender with undercoat.

My Dart had the foam you speak of and it was obvious it held moisture between the two panels.
When the fender went back on I used the strip caulk and ran it right on the outer edge of the inner fender so water can't get in there between the two panels at all.
Then sprayed that seam from inside the fender with undercoat.
So if/when you wash the car, it sits in the rain... absolutely no way water could get between there? even around the bolts? If so you created a pretty good dam
In my opinion, Only advantage to some filler between the panels here is to prevent a possible whistle/wind noise. I don't know enough about the airflow to say that is possible. Good luck to all either way.

So if/when you wash the car, it sits in the rain... absolutely no way water could get between there? even around the bolts? If so you created a pretty good dam
In my opinion, Only advantage to some filler between the panels here is to prevent a possible whistle/wind noise. I don't know enough about the airflow to say that is possible. Good luck to all either way.

I used the 1 inch wide stuff like RV's use on the seams so the bolts actually go through it as well, then I think engine heat would take care of anything else. (maybe):D
I know it has to be better than the foam.

-
Back