Fender mounted turn indicators on 68 Dart

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
Hi,just joined this site! I have a 1968 Dart 270. It has the optional fender mounted turn signal indicators. The turn signals themselves work perfectly,even the green indicators on the dash blink,but for so reason the fender mounted indicators don't.
When I turn the parking lights or headlights on the right fender indicator lights up. Can anybody here give me some tips to get these working? Also can someone post some photos showing how you change the bulbs in them?
Also how do I change the front side marker bulbs,the ones with the chrome circles on the front fenders and what bulb do those take?

Kruisin' Moons reproductionproducts have the reproduction bulbs and lenses, as you can see there is a screwdriver slot in the lens, you unscrew it and take the bulb out. Make sure your leads are connected to the wiring harness in the engine compartment. The front marker light assemblies have a large sheet metal nut that attaches them to the fender, remove the lead and the nut then pull it out from the front, the bulb can be accessed by pulling the lead out, here is a picture of the assembly, they are available reproduction also, don't know the bulb number...

68 dart marker light.jpg

Post #2 pictures a marker light not a turn indicator light. Are your indicators mounted on the hood, not the lower fender? Picture?

The same wire the side marker goes to should also go to the top fender directional as well if you have those.
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like someone wired them up to the front side marker light circuit. the should be tied into the turn signal circuit. Stock on a 68-the front grill markers are only on when the light switch is pulled out to position 1, but off when headlights are on. Sometimes people rewire those to be on whenever headlights are on, & maybe in that re-wire, they got the fender turn lights mixed in there too.
Basically sounds like you just need to do some testing-see whats suppose to be on & when.
The front grill markersare a dual element bulb. One circuit is for marker light, one circuit is for turn signal, & ground is a 3rd connection (though mine relied on just being installed in a metal grill as opposed to actually having a connected wire.

If you really have hood mounted indicators, the dash indicators should not work, the bulbs are removed.

Post #2 pictures a marker light not a turn indicator light. Are your indicators mounted on the hood, not the lower fender? Picture?
They are chrome bullet shaped ornaments mounted on the fenders.

Sounds like someone wired them up to the front side marker light circuit. the should be tied into the turn signal circuit. Stock on a 68-the front grill markers are only on when the light switch is pulled out to position 1, but off when headlights are on. Sometimes people rewire those to be on whenever headlights are on, & maybe in that re-wire, they got the fender turn lights mixed in there too.
Basically sounds like you just need to do some testing-see whats suppose to be on & when.
The front grill markersare a dual element bulb. One circuit is for marker light, one circuit is for turn signal, & ground is a 3rd connection (though mine relied on just being installed in a metal grill as opposed to actually having a connected wire.
The front round grille turn signals work fine. Those also light up when the switch is pulled for parking lights. You are correct they are not lit when the headlights are on

If you really have hood mounted indicators, the dash indicators should not work, the bulbs are removed.
Yes I really have them. They are chrome bullet shaped ornaments with amber lenses facing the driver. The dash indicators blink green and front and rear signals blink as they should. The fender indicators don't light though,except when fhe headlights are on,then the right one lights up

The front round grille turn signals work fine. Those also light up when the switch is pulled for parking lights. You are correct they are not lit when the headlights are on
Cool, sounds like you just need to change where the fender signals are picking up power then.
Welcome to the site.
Post up some pics. most here like pictures.

If it had them there should be a bullet style connector about 4" from the light. Maybe corroded? Like said post a pic of the under side.

-
Back