Fender tag code F09

-

rbutler

Reaction score
Just picked up a '71 Dart, got fender tag decoded except for "F09" Can't find it listed on any reference site. Anyone have a clue? thx

Show us a photo of it. Is it rested and hard to read, you reading it wrong?

is it B09 on the second line from bottom?

Show us a photo of it. Is it rested and hard to read, you reading it wrong?

is it B09 on the second line from bottom?
I don't have pic on this computer at the moment. It's on 3rd line from bottom just before "F11" and just after "U" Tag in pretty good shape, I'll get pic up tomorrow.

Here’s the tag

D55C9CCC-0090-4BEB-AC5C-16A40F256BEC.jpeg

What's F11?

I don't see a lot of F codes on tags.

F09 was a "360-2 barrel conversion" in 70 according to my Galen book.

Hmmm, interesting, this car has numbers matching 318/2 barrel. Btw F11 is high output alternator, comes with a/c cars.

Hmmm, interesting, this car has numbers matching 318/2 barrel. Btw F11 is high output alternator, comes with a/c cars.
It is interesting. The Galen white books are a source for information but they sure seem to have a lot of incomplete/incorrect information. @Alaskan_TA may have more info.

I thought the 360 wasn't available until 71 and then only in C body cars.

Usually letter codes are for similar items/options.

Perhaps another electrical option or something else belt driven.

As Arte Johnson used to say: "velly intellesting". For you kids that don't know, google Rowan and Martins Laugh In TV show. I had never heard of an F09 code until now, and my old GG White Book says 400 4-bbl conversion for 1971 available only in a 4-door Newport! With the other codes listed maybe it was a police or municipal vehicle...

Uh-

Why would the factory need to "convert" a car's engine and/or carburetor and do so with enough notice to stamp the tag as such?

Seems like that would be a fairly small window of time between the VIN creation and the tag stamping.

Dunno? Know what you mean about options lumped with same letters, however one list I saw showed F08 as “trans am engine”. Haven’t discovered anything unusual on this car, it does have front discs though, which appear to be factory, but that code would’ve been B41. It also has 8 3/4 which I was lead to believe was switched out at some point.

29162958-1E91-46A0-AFA9-E63EFB3742E3.jpeg

Might be a misprint. Known to happen.

@rbutler do you have a build sheet?

I assume the VIN and the VIN on engine are in agreement from what you said

I don't recall... In 71 was the hidden body numbers from the VIN or the sequence number

Does any of this decoders info ring true to the car?
Screenshot_20220204-112532.png

Have not checked hidden body numbers, not sure where they all are. Engine and trans numbers do match last six of vin.

Have not checked hidden body numbers, not sure where they all are
Should be under trunk weatherstrip drivers side about 12 inches from the back.

Some times you can see them from the underside of the lip.( Get in the trunk with a flashlight)

Other on radiator support, top drivers side, under the coolant sticker.

I assume this holds true in 71 that's where they are in 67.

Yea that’s how my tag reads. What does “top color” refer to? Vinyl top already listed as V1F

I don't think that tag decoder is right.

A non vinyl top car would have had a second GF3 above the one on the second line instead of the V1X.
A 2 tone painted roof car would have had the second color- GF8, maybe.

I think that's what the decoder is looking for, and reading wrong.

I put everything into the decoder and now F09 is unknown.

Screenshot_20220204-121431.png
Screenshot_20220204-121448.png
Screenshot_20220204-121501.png

-
Back