Fender Tag Decoding '75 Duster

-

furiousgeorge

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm trying to decode my Duster tag codes, but haven't had alot of luck. All the websites I can find don't go past '74, and they're conflicting each other. Any help is apreciated!
I tried to get the screw off to see whether thats a w, h, or v, but it wouldn't budge.

Attachments

• GEDC1251.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 926
I am not an expert and you can take this for what it is worth. My understanding is "Hang 10" package was Dart exclusive. On the Duster A63 was an interior decorators package that had vinyl and cloth buckets similar in style to the Hang 10 Dart but not exactly the same because the Hang 10 was exclusively the white and orange color scheme. The A63 duster would look a lot like a Hang 10 Dart it would not actually be a Hang 10 because it lacked the surfer graphic.
All that said I could be completely wrong but that is how I understand it.

re jkeck55's reply :
If you'd like to see photos of what he's referring to , go to the Hang 10 Registry site , and follow the links ; lots of cool photos on that site !

You've got a rare bird there . I see some codes that I don't remember off the top of my head ; amongst them is the lack of a radio code ( codes starting with "R" ) , which may be on the second tag ?
First two-tag "A" Body I've ever seen !!

The online decoders I've tried mostly state that A63 is Dart hang Ten package, and one called it the decoraters group? But, most of the interior was customized, so I can't say for sure what it was like. The second tag has a few codes on it, and the vin number broken down, heres a pic.

Attachments

• GEDC1253.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 402
Looking through the Hang ten registry's decoder it appears your Duster was quite the vehicle.
360 4bbl. Dual exhaust, power disc brakes. upgraded trim, dual painted sport racing mirrors, and 26 in radiator.
Color obviously was FE5.
Canadian car too.
If you could get it close to that look it would be an awesome vehicle. Different from most too.

Yeah, but alot was changed. The interior as I mentioned, the wheel moldings are gone, the mirrors are chrome (originals or not I don't know), was repainted a horrible maroonish color, rallye rims up front and aluminum mags out back. Not sure what to do with the interior, the whole orange shag carpet thing doesn't really grab me!

So far, the codes I can't crack are:
H38 (or V38 )
26 (no letter with it)
CTD
G74
C54
G64
the single C and 0
K6R comes out as the stripe code, is the R for red? as the W in V1W is a white vinyl top? Since the car is originaly Rallye Red, that doesn't make much sense....

I am in the process of decoding your car with links to special stuff.

Hang in there as I will get it to you tonite!!

You know what the numbers are on the bottom line mean so I will
start on the 2nd line.....

FE5... Rallye Red

B5VW ..Cloth and vinyl buckets with multi-colored inserts

B5VW.jpg

000... Full door panels

709.... July 9th scheduled build date

B36757..Order Number

V1W...Full Vinyl Roof-White

C....Build to Canadian Specs

0... Unknown

A63..Decorator Special Package

75-Valiant-Duster_00221.jpg

B41....Power disk brakes

C15...Sound deadening

C16...Console

C56...Buckets

C73...Space Duster Package (Fold Down Rear Seat, etc)

F16...65 Amp Alternator

G01...Electric Rear Window Defroster

G54..Left Chrome Racing Mirror

G64..Right Chrome Racing Mirror

G74..Chrome Racing Mirrors

K6R..Body side Tape Stripes in White, Black and Red Combo

75_Valiant_Duster_00171.jpg

M21..Chrome Drip Rails

M25..Sill Moldings

M26.. Wheel Lip Moldings

M38... Aluminium Applique On Rear Lower Deck Panel

N21..Air Pump

N41..Dual Exhaust

26...26 Inch Radiator

CTD...Codes Continued On 2nd Tag

L1....Unknown

257..Unknown

I hope this helps.

All courtesy of the Hamtramck Historicals.

Very interesting post....

For comparison's sake since some people may not be familiar with what different packages came with, I'll lightly compare my '75 Duster "Custom" with yours:

Mine also has the sill moldings, wheel lip molding, drip molding and rear panel applique. It also has the dual chrome racing mirrors, 26" rad,power steering, power disc brakes and air conditioning. It has the woodgrain dash and door panels.

However, mine has a single exhaust and a 318. It does not have a console or a fold down seat. It is Y9 Spanish Gold with tan snakeskin half top and gold interior. Mine was built Nov 13th and Dodge main, your's was built the following July at the same plant.

You have a lot of car there. Awesome!

Wow, thanks so much! That only leaves the 0 or O, and the H38 or V38, or whatever it is under the screw.

yellowdartdave, I ment the screw on the left, it partialy covers the very first code above it, something-38?
Moparisbest, that's my interior (of what there is left of it), maybe it looked alot better when it was new then the image I have in my mind.... lol

very cool car! would be nice to restore to original but that interior would be hard to replace..dont see too many dusters with that like the Hang 10 cars..buckets look in good shape to recover tho..my first duster was a 75 Custom with a sunroof and space saver..wish i would have never sold it..(kicks myself in ***) lol

M38....Aluminium Applique On Rear Lower Deck Panel

Remember, the codes go in alphabetical and numerical order.

M38 is just part of the A63 package, just like the buckets and fold down rear seat.

Like trying to figure out the tax codes at times.

The other thing I noticed was that your car's trim level code
( 2nd character in the v.i.n. ) is that it's an "H" ( High Price Class ) , giving it the obvious VH29... prefix .
This "dispels" the long-standing school-of-thought that the 360 was legated to option status only in 1976, and not 1975 ; the Duster 360 models had a v.i.n. of VS29 ... ; 1975 was supposed to be the last model year for the Duster 360 and its brother the Dart Sport 360 ( LM29L ... ) .

IF you were to restore your car to the letter of its option status / originality , I believe that you'd have one gorgeous car in your stable !
Perhaps you can ascertain the contact info of the owner of that beautiful silver 360-powered Custom that's on the Hang 10 Registry site ,and he or she could help you with your car's restoration ; let you know how the materials were acquired in order to restore that beautiful interior .

Seeing that it's a Canadian-market car makes it even more valuable , in the capacity that you've got a survivor from that wintry , salty demographic !

I'll do what I can to bring it back, but it's pretty rough, especialy in the back end, even the tail-light panels rusted! But it's not to far gone I don't think. What I'd like to do is track the owners back to the3 fellow who customized it, just to see what the deal with the "Dusty Rose" and rose picture etched onto the rear quarter windows is....

Attachments

• GEDC1240.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 266
-
Back