Fender tag for a 66 dart.

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a good decoder for the 66 darts?
I have went to a couple of sites that I've seen posted here. butI've had no luck decoding my tag.
the bottom line on the tag reads
so number bdy trm paint
91606447 lp27 pw4 bb1 b

I think the oroginal color (under 4 paint jobs , the last looks like house paint
was a midnight/DARK blue or even (heaven forbid) Black.. (that ought to takea couple extra month's of effort to make it straight)
any help would be appreciated.
thanks

You've got a couple mistakes in those numbers I think. Can you double check the numbers again?
Yes BB1 is black.

the bottom line on the tag reads
so number bdy trm paint
91606447 lp27 pw4 bb1 b

thanks
I'll take a shot at it:

916 is the scheduled production date - Sep 16, 65
06447 is the Special Order Number
LP27 is the body style - should be 2 door hardtop
PW4 is the interior trim level and color - Premium trim (bucket seats
not for sure on the color (white?)
BB1 is the paint code - black
and the last B is the upper door frame color - black

My 66 Dart,when i got it shipped from the states it came with No fender tag or certi-card(theives)it,s blue.

LP27 would be a ragtop yes?
Here is an interesting '66 Dart production date...C2806122. December 28??? is that even possible?

LP27 would be a ragtop yes?
Here is an interesting '66 Dart production date...C2806122. December 28??? is that even possible?

My bad - yes LP27 is a ragtop. I suppose a Dec 28 production day would be possible

How can you guy's decode these so easily??? Have you owned so many that it is second nature?? I know if I need anything decoded I'll be posting it up here.

GAH!!! A black Dart ragtop. of course it's a white interior too. ohhh yeah plenty more work now! I was hoping the car was blue.. ohh well december 28th , yeah I know a friend that worked at ma mopar during those years and he said that he always worked during the holidays to make extra money. from 1961 to 1975 he worked all the holidays then came the "slow down/downsizing era he put up with 50 years of it before he retired.
thanks for the info all of ya..

mmm black, straight body= lotsa work..
whew boy am I glad I'm painting the other (driver) dart vert "cool vanilla"

could the B at the end be a black top?.. with a white interior I'm going to have to decide which car get's trhe white or black top..
hmm car 1 v8 = black body/black top white interior? or black body white top white interior hmm
or car 2 /6 = cool vanilla for my driver with a white top.. black interior.. nope.. doesn't sound right
now I have to really think about the color..on those cars...

thanks again for the info..

yep numbers are righ. I took the tag off and cleaned it up on the wire wheel to make sure..
the top info line below the first abcd ect is
ab .....xyz
the next abc is
abc........r.....y
315 .....1......1

any idea what those are..
I've got a service manual comming in in the next couple day's would that have some/all of those codes in them.
thanks

yep numbers are righ. I took the tag off and cleaned it up on the wire wheel to make sure..
the top info line below the first abcd ect is
ab .....xyz
the next abc is
abc........r.....y
315 .....1......1

any idea what those are..
I've got a service manual comming in in the next couple day's would that have some/all of those codes in them.
thanks

315= 273 2bbl, auto, y1= black convert top. Don't know the r1 off the top of my head.
I forgot ab/64 too. Console, somethingsomething? :-D

Here's a paint chip chart. Looks like BB1 is black. Wish my 66 was black.
LOL mike

the other dart that I'm working on now is originaly a /6 ragtop gold witrh gold interior.. right now it's red and rust.. soon to be blasted/soda/sand clean and redone as my daily driver. lot's of work ahead for that one. I'm working with a metal shop to get my back floorpan completely redone from the back seat mounting spot to the middle of the front seat they'll put all the detail in from the old cut out pan and leave out cutting the drain holes. it should look almost stock from what they tell me.. now all I'm waiting on is a price to see if it's worht it.

Gold poly metallic isn't my favorite color. It doesn't "pop".
see for yourself. toolmanmike

really it's not bad not grabby but it does look good. BUT I think I'll go with /6 driver "PT cruiser-Cool vanilla" on that one. and change into black interior with a black top... now as for the BB1 coded black v8 (block,guide coat, repeat forever till straight.) the boss (wife) just let me order the pearl white interior/door panels and a pearl white top boot for that one. but I'm still up in the air about a black or white top for it.. I'm also contacted a friend that does some CNC work and sent him a set of tail light bezels and asked him to see if he could make a couple of set's for me so I could get the CNC'd billet chromed to look original. hopefully he comes though for me. if he can't or it's too expensive. I'll look into casting them myself.. I used to do it a long time ago using wood plug molds and molding same. we'll see

While you're at it have your friend make a die that repops the headlight bezels. Every 66 Dart owner needs a set. LOL toolmanmike

I like that color when it is fresh. I have my Dart sitting next to a '71 Demon that is Citron Yella (Curious Yella), and it looks plenty good. These cars look good in lighter shades, but dark shades like black, tend to make them look WAY too narrow. I parted out a low mile '66 Dart GT, that was RR-1 yellow. THAT was a perfect color for these cars IMO. Not many cars look good yellow...particularly without alot of black to contrast...but these '66 Darts look good in that pale yellow.

Black does make a car liik smaller. I had a 69 Coronet that was black and it looked petite compared to a beige 69 Super Bee that lookes like a land barge. LOL I find it hard to come up with a color that looks good with a black vinyl top and lots of chrome. Burnt orange is also a good color that blends with the
black and chrome allthough the Valliant does'nt have much chrome or a vinyl top. The last photo is the color mine is supposed to be. toolmanmike

-
Back