Fender tag value

-

713404spd

Reaction score
I have found a smoking deal on a 70 challenger. It is a 383 4 Spd from the factory ( which would make an r/t right?) the only problem is that the fender tag is missing and I can't prove any of that except that it had a 383 because that is in the vin tag. How much will this affect the value? Thank you!

if it has the numbers matching engine and trans, it would not hurt much, but if the trans is not origional to the car, then there is no way to prove it is a 4 speed car UNLESS YOU FIND THE BUILD SHEET IN THE CAR !!!!!!!!!

Motor trans and build sheet are long gone. And your right there would be no way to prove it was a 4 SPd car

Right. And it's rust free and complete minus motor trans and a couple little things And until it's in my shop I won't sleep a wink!!!

yea, i go through alot of these cars, as many will tell you, but that feeling, of just waiting to get the next one, i will never grow up, just old!

So from your experience 340 plot, does it make for a tougher sell not having the fender tag

yea, if you try to sell as a 4 speed car. if you try to sell just as a big block car, then no

i believe so, but maybe someone else will chime in on that.lol

I'm sorry for all the dumb questions also. I'm 20 yrs old and have been on the Mopar scene for about 5 years. I have owned 3 mopars 2 of which I still have. And this is my first non a body Mopar and I never thought I'd be able to afford a car like this and just haven't done the research on them like I have the a body's.

onlt thing i know about them is that they are so much more to restore if in need of alot of parts!. i had a 70 cuda, went to get fenders at carlisle, and was destroyed, on my way back home without them, i had sold the car!.(this was right before the repops came out)

That's y I'm thinking it will be a future project. The only thing it needs body wise is a fender and a paint job. I have a 70 hp 440 and 727 But the auto would be temporary. A few things I know it will need is a wiring harness a dash pad a radiator, drive shaft and of course some cleaner cragars with new rubber! But that all cost money that I don't have right now.

What code is the 383? If its an N code its the magnum. Also if you find the hidden vins on the car you can find out if it was always an original 383 car and not just a rebody car.

I'm not sure you could get a 4bbl 383 car in just a Challenger, maybe a 2bbl. I do know in the Mopar world never say never because it will show up tomorrow.

So whats the code for the motor?

Check the package shelf and see if you find numbers there I think it will be on the passenger side. My R/T came with build sheet, fender and it was missng the dash and vin.

The only way I could prove it was a real R/T was that it had all the hidden vin numbers on the car.

Sounds like a good project either way and congrats. A challenger is a Challenger and in the long run cost a lot too restore but good investments.

is the VIN prefix JH23 or JS23 ? JH23= standard hardtop JS23= R/T hardtop

If you are worried about the value of the car and it has no fender tag or build sheet I would stay away from the car.On the other hand you said its a smoking deal.And it still is a Ebody 383 car, so if you can get it for a really good price you may be OK.But don't expect to make money off the car unless you are just down right stealing it.

no fender tag? who cares? buy it, build it, drive the **** out of it and enjoy it, jeez man. the fender tag only shows options. the vin number shows what engine the car came with and the body code shows whether it was an RT or not. if you post the VIN number we can decode it for you

no fender tag? who cares? buy it, build it, drive the **** out of it and enjoy it, jeez man. the fender tag only shows options. the vin number shows what engine the car came with and the body code shows whether it was an RT or not. if you post the VIN number we can decode it for you

Damn straight!!

Three, 383s were offered in the 70 Challenger. None "required" the R/T package.

http://www.challengerspecs.com/1970challenger.htm

I think from what I looked at on the site it has one thing wrong. They list two L code 383 and one is 290HP and one is 330HP.

The 2bbls I believer were 330HP and were offered in base model challengers only in 2bbl form, not 4bbl form.....but that has me thinking now if they did do it a 4bb 383 in just a challenger not and R/T....no I dont think they did.

Next time I go c the car I'll check on the hidden vins. And if I do end up with the car I plan on restoring it for myself the way that I want it. I wouldn't worry about going all original so for me personally the tag is no big deal. I was just kinda wondering if that was y he had it priced so cheap or if he really just needed money that bad

Next time I go c the car I'll check on the hidden vins. And if I do end up with the car I plan on restoring it for myself the way that I want it. I wouldn't worry about going all original so for me personally the tag is no big deal. I was just kinda wondering if that was y he had it priced so cheap or if he really just needed money that bad

if you dont have a trim tag then what do the "hidden" VINs matter. they arent really "hidden" anyway. they are only going to be the sequence numbers. just look on the core support and check it against the vin number if you think the thing has been "faked"

-
Back