few new guy questions.

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
building a 500hp 440
Where is good place to get a new blanacer?
is it best to get cam, springs and lifters as package or peice it together?
is closed chamber all they make for alum heads?

ok so in eddy heads there all closed right?
Machine shop wants to put 1300 bucks into some stock heads to go to 2.14 and 1.81 valves. Better off with some eddis?

Edelbrock part number 60189 is a 88cc big block open chamber head, the exact same head as the 84cc but machined with the open chamber.

Edelbrock part number 60189 is a 88cc big block open chamber head, the exact same head as the 84cc but machined with the open chamber.

My opinion is Ebrock made this head for those that built engines using KB STEP HEAD (quench dome) pistons. If a person doesn't have that type of piston then they would be foolish to buy that head.

OP , unless you are racing in a class where stock castings are required it is not wise to spend that kind of money redoing stock iron heads .

My opinion is that unknownsnake asked if closed chambered heads were all that Edelbrock made. The answer is no.

0k so which set of eddies should i get? I am going with a flat top piston and like i said around 500 hp is goal

My opinion is that unknownsnake asked if closed chambered heads were all that Edelbrock made. The answer is no.

So your saying Edelbrock makes open chamber aluminum heads? If this is so please provided a part number.

Never mind just saw it, thanks

One more question, are those heads the same as stock with just bigger valves or do they have better flow?

0k so which set of eddies should i get? I am going with a flat top piston and like i said around 500 hp is goal

There is a lot of information missing here but with the flat top pistons and 500 HP goal, JohnRR is correct, the 84cc closed chamber heads would be better. The OOTB 60929 will support 500 HP.

Nothing wrong with bOb's answer. The Victor is much more of a race head and more expensive to set up with the offset rockers, having to buy retainers, locks, valve springs and all.

So your saying Edelbrock makes open chamber aluminum heads? If this is so please provided a part number.

Never mind just saw it, thanks

One more question, are those heads the same as stock with just bigger valves or do they have better flow?

Same as stock what? Factory iron? Much better flow that factory iron. Same flow as the 84cc closed chamber Edelbrock head.

Same as stock what? Factory iron? Much better flow that factory iron. Same flow as the 84cc closed chamber Edelbrock head.

Great thanks that's what I needed to know. So I guess if you port these out they will be better than a set of 906 done up?

Great thanks that's what I needed to know. So I guess if you port these out they will be better than a set of 906 done up?

Does your engine have KB , or another makers custom , step/quench dome pistons ? If not the open chamber eddie is not the head to buy .

Have to use an open chamber running flat top Venolia's that are +.068 out of the hole.

Generally yes. It really depends upon who is doing the porting. They will be far less expensive than an equal set of 906 heads. We've ported both the 906 and RPM heads to over 340 cfm. With the ported RPM we've made 770+ HP on a normally aspirated pump gas 451 stroker. Even after Comp Cams blew up our pump gas 500" wedge with ported 906 heads, by not turning the water on to it for the dyno session, it still made 730 HP with the scrap parts.

The combustion chamber is machined .100" deep for the quench dome on the 88cc head.

Where is this in comparison to 906's? Already have a ported set of 906's was wanting to go to aluminum for the weight savings.

Where is this in comparison to 906's? Already have a ported set of 906's was wanting to go to aluminum for the weight savings.

Should be close to the same but you would have to measure the 906s to be sure. If the 906s were milled you might loose compression going to the RPM.

Big difference in flows in ported 906 heads. Have you any flow figures for the ported 906 and what a RPM does on the same bench? A good 906 could outflow an OOTB RPM. Then you would gain nothing but the weight savings unless the RPMs were ported.

ok here is set up i am thinking, hughes rockers and push rods,

this cam
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K21-224-4/

these heads
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60929/

So will it work or will I need something different? maybe different springs?

The springs, retainers and locks that come with/on the heads would work with that camshaft. The Hughes rockers and pushrods would also be acceptable. There are hundreds of combinations that would work and the one you are leaning towards IS one of them.

500 HP? maybe yes, maybe no. Edelbrock's top end kit #2087 comes with a larger cam and they rate the kit at 482 HP.

-
Back