Few questions on having and engine built.

-
If you expect him to warranty the engine (not only his work) then I don't think you can show up with parts. I will recommend parts, and in some cases I will work with the customer to use what they have or want, but ultimately if I'm building it, it gets my approval or I don't build it because it's my name that suffers if there's a problem.
In most cases, unless they are buying from a smaller specialty manufacturer there's little markup on parts these days. With shipping costs and tax (I'm in CT and they tax everything), and wholesaling outlets there's little savings to be had buying things yourself.
If it were me I'd want to have it brought in all together and let me take it apart and inspect things. The right eyes can tell a lot by that disassembly process.

I like the ideas presented about not tearing the engine down. But personally, I want to know the condition of things before they go into the shop. Since the only things that are going to be reused on the bottom end are the block and pan and timing cover and such not moving parts, then I don't how much the builder doing the disassembly firsthand would help in this particular case.

I'd leave it assembled. The engine tells the builder a story of its life as it's torn down.
Not necessary. Not correcting any issue here, not going back together in its current form, it's a block heads and rods..mag them,check the rods for straightness etc, sonic the cylinder walls if so and move forward with machine work. Wear is wear, in this case. If it were a circle track motor that went early, I'd agree.

-
Back