Fiberglass fenders- junk

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Not sure if this the right thread for this ? lol If your thinking of buying fiberglass fenders DO NOT buy them from SHOW CARS-BODY PARTS First it took me 6 weeks to get one fender & they are f***in junk. They don't even come close to fitting. Now I have a $525.00 fender that I wouldn't even think of using.:banghead:

body section so i'd say you are in the right place.

I bought mine from glasstek. Top notch.

WHAT HAPPENED!! I feel bad because I know that I'd recommended them to you. Honestly, the ones I got from them were pretty good. I had researched fiberglass parts for a while before I'd decided to buy any. I was forewarned by a lot of guys that told me horror stories about how poorly they usually fit and how flimsy they can be. So when mine arrived I was expecting to have a lot of problems. But, I was surprised. Mine fit pretty good. I know I had to trim a little from where they mated to the cowl and do a slight bit of door gap adjustment (sanding). I also had to use double the number of body shims, but that was no big deal. Even the body man at the shop I had paint the car told me he was impressed by the fit. Did they send you the race versions by mistake? I'd be on the phone with them asap. I was really expecting you to be happy with them. - Sorry if I steered you wrong but I'm sure if the one they sent you had fit as well as the two they sent me, - you'd have recommended them too. Hope things get straightened out.

I really debated about using fiberglass. I couldn't find anybody making reproduction steel. The used fenders I'd found were usually very pricey and most needed rust or collision repair. I talked to 3 or 4 different companies and asked questions about quality before deciding whose to try. When I called Show Cars up to get information from them, I explained how important it was to me that the fenders needed to look like factory ones. They needed to bolt on in place just like originals. I made it clear that I didn't want problems with anything flexing when I drove down the road. I went so far as to tell them that if the panels didn't look right I was going to send them back. The person I talked to assured me that I would be happy and that everything would be as I wanted. That's why I'm puzzled with why you've gotten such crap from them.

Crawly, I bought some fiberglass fenders for a '46 Chevy and they also didn't fit at all. I would have had to BREAK them to get them to fit. But, like you, I had already paid for them. So I got a heat gun and slowly heated the fiberglass as I got the bolts started..one by one. It took quite a few hours but I finally got them to fit perfect. It wasn't easy and it took a while but they came out perfect. BE ADVISED....you can't overheat the fiberglass or it will get really soft and buckle. But don't sweat it too much if it does buckle a little you can just sand out the bad spot. Try heating a large area slowly and try not to get any hot spots. It gets pretty flexible when it gets to the right temperature. Once you get it semi-installed you can go back and re-heat the parts you've already got on with bolts so that it settles down a little more. Gotta go will write more a little later...

treblig

You also have to make sure you don't burn the fiberglass. If you try and get one spot too hot it will burn and could even catch on fire. I used my hands to check "how hot" it was getting. When it gets too hot for you to keep your hands on it then it as hot as you want to get it. I guess you could buy a cheapie temp gun at Harbor Frieght and make sure you don't get it too hot.. To be honest it took about 8 hrs per fender with a friend helping me BUT I didn't lose a penny.

Treblig

WHAT HAPPENED!! I feel bad because I know that I'd recommended them to you. Honestly, the ones I got from them were pretty good. I had researched fiberglass parts for a while before I'd decided to buy any. I was forewarned by a lot of guys that told me horror stories about how poorly they usually fit and how flimsy they can be. So when mine arrived I was expecting to have a lot of problems. But, I was surprised. Mine fit pretty good. I know I had to trim a little from where they mated to the cowl and do a slight bit of door gap adjustment (sanding). I also had to use double the number of body shims, but that was no big deal. Even the body man at the shop I had paint the car told me he was impressed by the fit. Did they send you the race versions by mistake? I'd be on the phone with them asap. I was really expecting you to be happy with them. - Sorry if I steered you wrong but I'm sure if the one they sent you had fit as well as the two they sent me, - you'd have recommended them too. Hope things get straightened out.

I really debated about using fiberglass. I couldn't find anybody making reproduction steel. The used fenders I'd found were usually very pricey and most needed rust or collision repair. I talked to 3 or 4 different companies and asked questions about quality before deciding whose to try. When I called Show Cars up to get information from them, I explained how important it was to me that the fenders needed to look like factory ones. They needed to bolt on in place just like originals. I made it clear that I didn't want problems with anything flexing when I drove down the road. I went so far as to tell them that if the panels didn't look right I was going to send them back. The person I talked to assured me that I would be happy and that everything would be as I wanted. That's why I'm puzzled with why you've gotten such crap from them.

Dude, its not your falt. I have delt with fg fenders before & you pretty much know how there gona fit right off. Ive seen pics of your fenders & I can tell ya completely different. It looks like they just took it out of the mold & stuck it in the box. Not to menchin I told them I needed one for a 69 & they sent me one for a 67 & it took almost 7 weeks to get it. Ill see if I can put some pics on here.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 647
  • 002.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 003.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 649
  • 004.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 656
  • 005.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 667
  • 006.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 653
  • 007.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 668

And I forgot to mention they are thin you can see through them

Dude, its not your falt. I have delt with fg fenders before & you pretty much know how there gona fit right off. Ive seen pics of your fenders & I can tell ya completely different. It looks like they just took it out of the mold & stuck it in the box. Not to menchin I told them I needed one for a 69 & they sent me one for a 67 & it took almost 7 weeks to get it. Ill see if I can put some pics on here.

Man! Those do look nasty. - Hard to believe they came from the same place mine did. I can see a lot of differences. I still hope you can get something worked out. But I can tell you that I wouldn't have been pleased if mine had shown up looking like yours. Yours have an awfully rough looking texture and mine came with a really smooth light gray gel coat finish. I may have had to increase the gap next to the cowl on mine because it was a little too tight, but yours don't even look like they're shaped right. Even the headlight buckets and height adjuster area on yours look crappy compared to mine.

View attachment IMG_0162.JPG

Strangely, when I ordered mine they did have the indentation for the '69 side markers and they told me that was the only way they made them. Do you suppose they used a different mold?

Sad to hear fenders fit so bad. Thanks for the heat trick tech tips I might have to try that someday.

You can see the '69 marker light indentation on mine and the glossier gelcoat finish in this picture.

View attachment 13.JPG

Seriously, yours don't look like they could have come from the same place. I'd send them back if I were you (if you could get them to pay shipping).

Just Goggle SHOW CARS-BODY PARTS complaints and see all the stuff comes up on Rob & his company.

1967 'Cuda did you see any markings on the inside of your fenders saying T&N fiberglass? That looks like his parts and Rob does buy parts off of him (that is when he can convince him to sell them to him)

Just Goggle SHOW CARS-BODY PARTS complaints and see all the stuff comes up on Rob & his company.

1967 'Cuda did you see any markings on the inside of your fenders saying T&N fiberglass? That looks like his parts and Rob does buy parts off of him (that is when he can convince him to sell them to him)

I don't remember seeing any markings on the parts. There might have been, but if there was any that would have said anything other than SHOW CARS I think I'd remember that. cawley's and mine sure don't look like the same place made them though.

was going to get them for our Dart....body guy told me he would not be the one to try and get them mounted on the car...and unless you use "race weight" they do not save much weight....

WOW! I took your suggestion and Googled SHOW CARS-BODY PARTS complaints and saw a lot of bad being said. One person wrote that they insisted they be paid by money order and refused his credit card. - That seemed strange to me because they used my card.

So then I thought I'd Google SHOW CARS - BODY PARTS REVIEW to see if I'd see anything positive. I didn't find anything good being said.

After the Google search, I'm really wondering how I wasn't screwed. Maybe someone else did make the parts they sent me.

I decided to call them back up to see if they'd send me a copy of records of the parts they'd sent me. (I didn't keep any of the records) I'm hoping that something on the receipts or invoices will have a clue on it if someone else fabbed them. They said I'd get a copy of the records via email by the end of the week.

He e mailed me & wanted to know what was wrong with it & I sent pics to him. I haven't heard anything from him. Im afraid its gona be a hassle getting my money back & for them to pay return shipping. I just cant believe the way they look for that amount of money.:bs:

OK , you said the magic phrase Credit card call your credit card company immediately and dispute the charge asap , your vendor will change his tune real fast when he gets a charge back from the card servicer

OK , you said the magic phrase Credit card call your credit card company immediately and dispute the charge asap , your vendor will change his tune real fast when he gets a charge back from the card servicer
will it still work even if I used my debit card ? I think ill call the bank any ways

will it still work even if I used my debit card ? I think ill call the bank any ways

Any updates on responses from your bank or from Show Cars? They haven't sent me a copy of the order I'd placed with them yet.

Any updates on responses from your bank or from Show Cars? They haven't sent me a copy of the order I'd placed with them yet.
Nope I have heard nothing & the bank says there is nothing they can do. Looks like im stuck with it. I feel that I have been robbed. I would love to find a way to get this out more if you know what I mean. LOL

-
Back