fiberglass sub box

-
I put some stuffing in there since the box is a bit small for the 2 subs. The cap is a baby(.5) It came with the amp wiring kit and I figured it couldn't hurt. Seems to allow the bass to hit for longer without showing a strain on the battery volt guage.

Tom

ok capacitor lol im dumb. i dont have one yet but i will get one probably. depends on money. but would have to take out her alternator

lol ive been doing it for years with alot of custom set ups. i was referring to the cap or short for capacitor in the image he posted of the box its the unit next to the amp.

ya lol. the cap keeps the amp from pulsing power from the battery right? so it gets energy steady and the amp pulls from there? is this correct?

I put some stuffing in there since the box is a bit small for the 2 subs. The cap is a baby(.5) It came with the amp wiring kit and I figured it couldn't hurt. Seems to allow the bass to hit for longer without showing a strain on the battery volt guage.

Tom
caps arent really all that. its acutaly better to add a second battery and add a few extra ground wires if you have a problem with your subs pulling your power down. kinetic is one way to go they make batteries in many sizes and loads http://www.kinetikaudio.com/default.asp just my 2 cents

?????????? lol i love doing car audio but in no way am i a expert or as smart as i want to be in this subject

I think you are going to find that the wood your using wont work. First off what type woofer and whats the weight of the woofer. If its like most now days there a good 20 lbs atleast. 3/16th is not strong enought to handle that. As stated before look for atleast 1/2 MDF 5/8 or 3/4 would be better. Most 12" subs require atleast 2.0 cubic feet of air space right now your at about 1.7. To get this number just take length x width x height then divide it by 1728. Good luck!!!

ya i am at 1.7. i think i will try the stuffing and a cap and if it dont sound good i will do something different. at least we had fun doing it. my sub is pretty heavy but the fiberglass makes it pretty sturdy. maby with some extra glass and criss crossed and overlaped and it will sound good.

caps arent really all that. its acutaly better to add a second battery and add a few extra ground wires if you have a problem with your subs pulling your power down. kinetic is one way to go they make batteries in many sizes and loads http://www.kinetikaudio.com/default.asp just my 2 cents

I hear you, just wanted to listen to some tunes.LOL I did add/upgrade a few ground wires though for all the major systems. I do agree that the cap is a band aid a bit, I really need to upgrade the battery from the Autozone Economy one....

Tom
car113kg9.jpg

dsc00002smallau3.jpg

dsc00006smallzi9.jpg

ya. i have like 14-16g wire for inside that i want to either double up or make bigger. dose the rca guage matter to much? like that goes from the deck to the amp?

ya. i have like 18g wire for inside that i want to either double up or make bigger. dose the rca guage matter to much? like that goes from the deck to the amp?

In my experience, the RCA size hasn't made a difference.... proper ground wire size (this often gets ignored) of the amp and good sized speaker wire can make a world of difference, especially if you buy one of those speaker wire/amp wiring kits.....

get a part time job and Best Buy so you can get the discount.... a $30 Rockford Fosgate speaker wire package can be had for $4.54 :D I forget what gauge, i'll look it up and post as an edit...

EDIT: I THINK 14 gauge would be fine..... I can't remember...

agreed with judge. unless your going for massive power or multiple amps you dont have to go as extream as 1ot but i wouldnt go with anything smaller than 4 guage even 2 runs would help. be sure that you use audio power cable and not standard battery cables the only exception is for using it to ground the battery(s). i went to an extream with 3ot but im also running around 5000watts of power lol

lol wow lol. i have all heavy huage power, ground cables and will up the guage of speaker wire. is solder ok on speaker wire connections?

nice project you have there really cant help you with it though lol. im 16 right now and i like the sound of the engine more than any music heavy metal :rock: :headbang:. im sure im gonna keep the stereo in the car but it wont be as loud as with a system and all. plus thats more weight when you go to the track lol.

will solder give more ohms? or will it help. its not as fine as speaker wire but i really dont like leaving a connection without solder holding it all together.

ya i like the sound of the engine. i like my music not to loud but you can feel the bass lol. for my race car it will not have any radio but my dd it will have quite a bit lol

cause i always associate big bass with rap and thats not my kind of music (go metalica and atr) so i find it quite pointless and just weighs a car down and take alot of electric to power it.

yea all that remains (atr), trivium, old metallica, the devil wears prada, parkway drive, a skylit drive,august burns red i could go on and on with the srceamo/heavy metal bands all day. so bass really doesnt do me any good since they go so un-godly fast especialy atr lol. and im gonna go to bed now cause i gotta go to school tomorrow. and 6 am :)angry7:) comes really early after a day off lmao.

will solder give more ohms? or will it help. its not as fine as speaker wire but i really dont like leaving a connection without solder holding it all together.

no it will not change the ohm load or have anything to do with it. what affects that is the type of amp number of speakers wired to that amp and how they are wired (sequence, parallel, etc)

-
Back