Filter in Power Steering Return?

-

tohnloke

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm mid steering box swap right now (installing a re-man factory-style box) and I'm seeing in the instructions that came with the box that I should install a filter in the return line. The thing is, I'm not seeing anything about a filter in either the 69 service manual or a search of the forum. I know PS is all about pressures so I don't want to screw anything up by putting a filter in.

I was looking at PN # 991FLT1 from O'Reilly (because it's the cheapest) but it looks like all the filters are universal fit. I don't even know if this one will work.

Is it a bad idea to do this? Is there another filter I should know about?

Thanks,
Tony

They (pump rebuilders) say that to cover themselves on warranty claims. You know, like for the guy who replaces a pump that put metal shavings into the system. If your system was clean I wouldn't worry about it. I never used a filter and have had no issues in 30 years.......

I run one after rebuilds, change the fluid and leave it off.

Why? The original systems didn't use filters. They aren't necessary. As mentioned, it is to supposedly cover their butts for a warranty claim. Just one more way to weasel out of a warranty.

Leave it out. The factory never used one and neither should you.

Thanks guys. I picked one up while I was out. I'm cautious with this re-man. Maybe it's the inexperience speaking but I at least expected the finish to be decent. Instead it's already got lots of rust spots from sitting out in the shop for a little over a month. I'm probably just paranoid.

At any rate, hopefully I'll get the thing painted tomorrow and then installed on Thursday (that's when the high pressure hose comes in). Hopefully I'll be able to drive it through spring. At first fluid change I might pull it out. Granted, I'm trying to go big block this summer so we'll see if I can even keep my power steering. :banghead:

Why? The original systems didn't use filters. They aren't necessary. As mentioned, it is to supposedly cover their butts for a warranty claim. Just one more way to weasel out of a warranty.

Leave it out. The factory never used one and neither should you.

The factory never did a lot of things including the lengthy list of upgrades and performance enhancements I successfully run on both my Mopars. It's something you have to decide in the context of your situation. That's how the factory decided to do what they did, by looking at it in the context of their situation. Knowledge is power. Ignorance is bliss.

Do it. Cant hurt, and the pressure in the return is fractional to the high side, its all volume. My minivan just has a fine screen the return flows into the reservoir through, and it catches junk, from what though??? Mopar saved a nickle an ALOT of things..as well as every other manufacturer..well, maybe not Lexus.

Mopar saved a nickle an ALOT of things..as well as every other manufacturer..well, maybe not Lexus.

Ha! Man, even the Germans do it. One of my good friends at school just bought a BMW (2010 I believe) and the thing had hard plastic sun visors. It wouldn't bother me, but, well, he's the type of person that buys a BMW :D so he had to switch them for the cloth ones that match his headliner, which apparently BMW used on the older model 3 series. It's not quite a PS filter, but the concept is the same. Gotta keep the cost down somewhere.

-
Back