Finallly something that doesn't seem overpriced...part it out??

-

Abodywantedinmi

"All I ever need...
Reaction score
Okay, for those of you that pay attention to user's and their posts, you know that it is impossible for me to find anything that is reasonably priced for its current condition.
Well, this showed up on clist today. Talked to the guy and he said the torsion mounts are toast and the body has Michigan rust. My question is...do you see enough money to be made parting it out? He even said he wouldn't mind someone parting it out, he just doesn't have the time...thoughts?

http://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/3925982028.html

I'm getting to the point where I realized I may just have to pick something up and "work on it", even if it's parting it out in hopes of making money to get something a "step-up" in condition...

Okay, for those of you that pay attention to user's and their posts, you know that it is impossible for me to find anything that is reasonably priced for its current condition.
Well, this showed up on clist today. Talked to the guy and he said the torsion mounts are toast and the body has Michigan rust. My question is...do you see enough money to be made parting it out? He even said he wouldn't mind someone parting it out, he just doesn't have the time...thoughts?

I'm getting to the point where I realized I may just have to pick something up and "work on it", even if it's parting it out in hopes of making money to get something a "step-up" in condition...

for $800 i wouldnt have even posted the link. i would have been doing 100mph to this guys house.

for $800 i wouldnt have even posted the link. i would have been doing 100mph to this guys house.

X2!!! Lots of money to be made, strip EVERY good part :glasses7:

Who knows, he might have other cool stuff to sell!

its a 68 cuda. hell i would prob have to think real hard about saving it. hanging quarters and patching floors seems to be status qua these days. a trans crossmember isnt that hard to swap out if the floor pans are already rotted out. every single nut/bolt and bracket is valuable on this car. hell i see $500 in grill and filler panel on that car.

It's worth the money as a parts car but only if you have nothing else to do. It takes a lot of time and effort to part out a whole car and you'll get good at packing & shipping large heavy items. I would only do it if you wanted something from that car.

It's worth the money as a parts car but only if you have nothing else to do. It takes a lot of time and effort to part out a whole car and you'll get good at packing & shipping large heavy items. I would only do it if you wanted something from that car.

I'm "off for the summer" as a teacher. I have no need for any of the parts myself. I have no car to work on, but am trying to get the funds...

This is very true. Bought a 68 rotbox of a Valiant a while back.....I want a few things off of it after that I am hoping someone will take it off my hands.....otherwise it will more than likely go to the crusher....Just not wort dealing with the head aches of parting it out, bartering with folks over the $ end of it, packing and hauling the stuff to town to get rid of it and then dealing with potentially whiny people who are unhappy with what ever it is they bought...

To me parting cars out is more trouble than it's worth. However I still do it because the local self serve yards have raised prices to the point that it's often cheaper to buy a whole car to get what I need and scrap the rest for the cost recovery. I do try to sell any extras to fund my current project and because I know others may not have the ability and time to devote to finding their missing tidbits. But it is a thankless job as other posters have suggested.

theres other ways of making a living, most things on this (abodysonly) are way over priced

X2 --prices here are really over inflated , there to many guys here triing
to make a living off this site and price thier parts like they have gold in
them. When I see the words "this part is rare" , " or very rare and hard to get" I do not finish reading the ad. unless I need a good laugh. Usually it's
the same guys that bash ebay and craigslist. Look how many members we
have on this site and most of us have 2 or 3 abody cars. They are not that rare LOL. Every time I go to craigslist , kijiji, theres an abody cuda
dart or valiant for sale for less then a grand. I would like to support the
site as best I can (so I am a gold member) , but I am not going to pay
$500 for a fender you took off your $700 parts car.LOL So unfortunatly
I find myself buying more parts from kijiji . craigslist, and ebay then I do here. Example : brand new gas tank for my 68 cuda $112.00 on ebay it was cheaper then any used one I could find here. upper control arms new - ebay with ball joints cheaper then used ones here with no ball joints.
But what the h3ll , an item is worth what ever you are willing to pay for it I guess. I am not rich so I need the best deals I can find, but if you are charging more then what new parts cost well ....... buyer beware,
one mans garbage is another mans treasure. Good luck and cheers
This is a great site with some great members and the knowledge that
is shared here is priceless. So a big Thank-you to all members that help other members with good deals (they do happen here) and with tech
help and advise, you guys and gals rock. Cheers and long live FABO.

Those who do buy these cars intending to make a huge profit off the parts are already in the race to get there first.

Well if anybody looks at some of the stuff and cars then you have some choices, 1 drink a lot 2 smoke something and then start looking at the add. Take a look at www.myclassisgarage.com and look at the marketplace, wow I put my car in there and it is almost to cheep for anyone to even look at. I think I have to go up 4 times. I must be sleeping and now I have to drink to look at all the other prices on that.

Think long and hard before buying it to part out..

In my experience its a ton of work.. Then everyone wants the parts right till they find out what it cost to ship..

If it were me I wouldn't buy it unless I needed a lot of the parts from it..

Buy it and ebay it if you can't part it out. I'm betting someone is in contact with him right now since you posted the link lol

Put the time & effort into something you want or want to do. Don't buy something just to buy something ( still trying to teach my wonderful wife this) Keep being patient something will come up around August or September, then be ready to buy -,cash offers really talk loudly. Plan a trip to Detroit either during or after the Woodward cruise to get a car.

I know what you want to do. I say grab it, trailer it home and part it out. The only real difficult thing is dealing with the larger parts and shipping. Petoskey and Onaway not that far apart up there. Rent a tow dolly and go get it. I know you've been chomping at the bit. Dan

I would own that so fast if it was near me. That car might be very buildable even though it is listed as a parts car and it is damn cheap.

I know what you want to do. I say grab it, trailer it home and part it out. The only real difficult thing is dealing with the larger parts and shipping. Petoskey and Onaway not that far apart up there. Rent a tow dolly and go get it. I know you've been chomping at the bit. Dan

I know, I know...trying to get all my ducks in a row before doing it.

By the time you account for your time and money spent to part a car. I'm a firm believer that it's a money losing adventure. I would only do it if I needed many parts personally or if it was a real desirable car.

In my opinion! The only thing on that 318 Barracuda that could pull in some serious money and is highly desirable is the front fenders, they could pay for the car if they were perfect, but they look rusted out to me. The rest of the parts in my opinion would not be highly desirable or profitable to remove and sell when you consider all the cost involved. Like buying and picking up the car, time removing parts, time advertising parts, time shipping parts, ebay fees, paypal fees, shipping fees, and the fees from your local code enforcement for violating some local ordinance in your residential neighborhood.:D

If you really want to know if it's a good buy call the local scrap or self serve parts yard and see what they would give you for the car. I'm guessing probably $400 or less.

-
Back