Finally a controller for the 42RE on the market...anyone know anything about it?

-

KevinB

Reaction score
Came across something I hadn't seen since I took a hiatus from my Dart for a few years...it has me reconsidering using a Silversport GM overdrive tranny with controller, because the 42RE is like half the price. At the time there was no controller for the 42RE and the 42RH is just so hard to find.

Now I come across this site that is selling one.

E-Trans Control

Anyone heard of it or using it? Could be a great product to open up the possibility of using the much more common transmission in our mopars.

Last edited:
Is there something different about the 42RE as compared to a 46, 47, or 48? Stand-alone controllers for those others have existed probably more than 10 years. Lots of guys use these for Cummins swaps with 47RE or 48RE transmissions. There’s a ton of history out there on the variety of controllers. I think Holley EFI can even control one now. It might be less revolutionary than you think.

Is there something different about the 42RE as compared to a 46, 47, or 48? Stand-alone controllers for those others have existed probably more than 10 years. Lots of guys use these for Cummins swaps with 47RE or 48RE transmissions. There’s a ton of history out there on the variety of controllers. I think Holley EFI can even control one now. It might be less revolutionary than you think.

I've seen controllers for the 46, 47, and 48 in the past...but never a controller that stated it could be used with the 42. If they were compatible you would think they would list that and increase the market for their product. In addition, this same company used to make two older models, one that they said was compatible with the 46, and one with the 48. Stands to reason if they released a new controller that works with all of them that there are differences. I don't know what the differences are personally.

Same situation with the diesel controllers. Been out there a long time. Why wouldn 't they work for gas too? There are differences clearly, otherwise people would have been using them for gas. Not sure why we're chasing the rabbit hole on it, but happy to do it. I'll look into the holley EFI thing you mentioned, as I'm already planning on getting a sniper

If I live long enough to get around to one of these, it simply will have a manual VB

A couple of things would cross my mind.
Reliability?
What is fail safe mode?
Price!!!! $750 seems like a lot of money.
What about using an A999 with lock-up?

I would contact John Cope Racing and ask him what he thinks/offers for 42RH. He speaks fluent MoPar.

Hold the phone.
Is this the electronic version of the A-518?

A couple of things would cross my mind.
Reliability?
What is fail safe mode?
Price!!!! $750 seems like a lot of money.

I would contact John Cope Racing and ask him what he thinks/offers for 42RH. He speaks fluent MoPar.

I’m actually considering the more reasonable one with the 2” gauge. I have no answers to your questions but they’re worth digging into

So we can buy this controller and it'll control the electronic Mopar trans? That's awesome.

According to there site This is a manual shift controller only.
If that is the case just go MVB. Some people make them, and "the blue box" outfit makes a TF-3 series something? kit

If that is the case just go MVB. Some people make them, and "the blue box" outfit makes a TF-3 series something? kit

Personally I'm not looking for manual shifting, staying with an automatic with OD.

In that case you better hold out for finding an "H" instead of an "E"

is this for use on the street?
With an SBM?

@JoePole1 asked
On the street this is a pretty good idea.
>The A518 ratios are 2.45-1.45-1.00-.69od.. with 4.10s, the Roadgears are; 10.05-5.95-4.10-2.83
> the A999 ratios are; 2.74-1.54-1.00 ............. With 3.55s the roadgears are; 9.73-5.47-3.55
Rpms at 65mph are about 2290 w/4.10s and overdrive; and 2870 w/3.55s, both in LU ..
Notice that the first two gears are practically identical, so performance will be about the same. At WOT, top of Second gear is already over 65mph with either trans; so basically, the only advantage you get from the od trans is the od.
But it doesn't have to be like this. That First gear, either of them, are pretty crazy on the street;
Say you ran the A999 with 3.23s, for roadgears of 8.85-4.97-3.55.. Ok then;
65mph in Second at WOT(10%slip) will get you ~4430rpm. (compared to 5300 with the 5.95 roadgear)
65mph in LU comes to about 2610, an easy rpm to tune for max fuel economy.
That 8.85 starter gear, with the A518 would take a reargear of 3.61 to match.
In any case, 8.85 wouldn't take much stall to fry the tires, with anything as big or bigger, than a 318, especially in a stock-tubbed, tire-size compromised, early Dart.
Jus saying.

I get that the A518/4.10s are a GREAT combo, especially for a small engine. But
I also get that with anything bigger than a 318, it is going towards overkill.
I also get that the A999/3.23s seem like they would be soft off the line, and they could be with a soft engine. But with anything bigger than a 340-4bbl, or a stout hi-cylinder-pressure 318, it won't be.
And by the time you get to a 360-4bbl, in a stock-tubbed Early-A, an 8.85 starter is a tire-fryer. Add a lil stall and you can't even floor it without tirespin.

I should probably mention that 4430rpm is about the rpm of peak hp for an early 318. So if yur engine is there at 65mph, in Second gear ....... you would have great passing power.

Last edited:
is this for use on the street?
With an SBM?

@JoePole1 asked

On the street this is a pretty good idea.
>The A518 ratios are 2.45-1.45-1.00-.69od.. with 4.10s, the Roadgears are; 10.05-5.95-4.10-2.83
> the A999 ratios are; 2.74-1.54-1.00 ............. With 3.55s the roadgears are; 9.73-5.47-3.55
Rpms at 65mph are about 2290 w/4.10s and overdrive; and 2870 w/3.55s, both in LU ..
Notice that the first two gears are practically identical, so performance will be about the same. At WOT, top of Second gear is already over 65mph with either trans; so basically, the only advantage you get from the od trans is the od.
But it doesn't have to be like this. That First gear, either of them, are pretty crazy on the street;
Say you ran the A999 with 3.23s, for roadgears of 8.85-4.97-3.55.. Ok then;
65mph in Second at WOT(10%slip) will get you ~4430rpm. (compared to 5300 with the 5.95 roadgear)
65mph in LU comes to about 2610, an easy rpm to tune for max fuel economy.
That 8.85 starter gear, with the A518 would take a reargear of 3.61 to match.
In any case, 8.85 wouldn't take much stall to fry the tires, with anything as big or bigger, than a 318, especially in a stock-tubbed, tire-size compromised, early Dart.
Jus saying.

I get that the A518/4.10s are a GREAT combo, especially for a small engine. But
I also get that with anything bigger than a 318, it is going towards overkill.
I also get that the A999/3.23s seem like they would be soft off the line, and they could be with a soft engine. But with anything bigger than a 340-4bbl, or a stout hi-cylinder-pressure 318, it won't be.
And by the time you get to a 360-4bbl, in a stock-tubbed Early-A, an 8.85 starter is a tire-fryer. Add a lil stall and you can't even floor it without tirespin.

I should probably mention that 4430rpm is about the rpm of peak hp for an early 318. So if yur engine is there at 65mph, in Second gear ....... you would have great passing power.
For my own application it's a 5.9 Magnum with 3.73 gears. I plan on running a bit of a taller tire too if it will fit. Might be doing a minitub if I can squeeze it into the budget. For use on the street, and roadtrips

I've installed the E-Trans Controller in my, 1968 Dodge Dart, 360 cid (carbureted) with a A518 transmission. I'm rebuilding the 360, and plans for a testing session with the transmission and the E Trans Controller is SOON. I used a Comp Cam (RV Thumper, Lifters & Springs) for the 360 rebuild, and had a Failed cam breakin session. I will use HOWARDS stuff for, version 2 (I now have a bad opinion of Comp Cams products). After the rebuild (will happen rather quickly) I will post the performance of the E Trans Control product. Also, the version I purchased is completely AUTOMATIC ...

Do you have any choice, AKA can you shift it manually if you want? Can manual over-ride auto? And can you program it?

HGM Electronics has a Compu-shift Mini. I don't think it works with the electronic trans though. Their website says out of stock because of Supply Chain Shortage. This is the one I would buy if available.

-
Back