Finally decided on what to do!

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
As some of you know, I picked up a 45K mile slant 6/3 on the tree 1966 Valiant a few months ago. Its been sitting, for the most part. I just haven't been able to decide what to do with it. Its a 2dr post, radio delete, manual steering/brakes, its as stripped down as you can get.

Since I am taking a new direction with my 1972 Dart, making it a nice 13 sec driver, I need a car to modify and have fun with...

So thats where the Valiant is coming into play. It needs floors, quarter patches, rear crossmember replaced, new seat covers, etc. I got some nice fenders from a fellow FABO member, and I just won an auction on ebay that made me decide the direction. I got some Hedman Husler headers, the 1 7/8 fenderwells, for $169 (including shipping!!). They are brand new, some scratches but they have never been bolted on.

I have an 86 360 block, some SRP 408 pistons, a set of ported 2.05/1.625 X-heads, an 8 3/4 out of a late 60's truck with the 10" brakes, etc that I can get chopped to whatever width I need. I am putting the small bolt KH discs from my Dart on it. Its gonna be the original light blue, stock interior, etc.

I did a search on here and found alot of info, but I may be needing opinions. I am going to move the springs/wheelwells in, homemade connectors, a cage, and since I have to cut the inner fenders I'll also brace the front end as well. I can't wait to get started on this, and my 8 year old son can't wait to help!

Is there anything I need to look out for on this car when doing this? I have alot more for it than I mentioned, but I think this gives everyone an idea of what I want. A fun, streetable drag car. What size meats have you guys been able to fit without altering the quarters? Anything I shouldn't do? Opinions! :thumblef:
P1010021.jpg

It's gonna be one baaad Valiant. I have a new replacement left front floorpan in the For Sale section.

Maybe when you're finished it you and memike can have a race!
Seriously, that car will look awesome when you are done. Cudos to your 8 year old son wanting to jump in with dad on a project allready! :cheers:

Thanks!! I have these awesome visions of a caged, blue valiant with a nasty stroker and 4-spd, I can't wait! This is the first time I've attempted anything like this, most of my cars have been left stock body-wise, I've never moved in wheelwells, etc. This way, I don't have to cut up my Dart.

I can't believe how excited my son is to learn about cars. He is waaaay more mechanically inclined than I was at that age!

Btw, I love memikes car! That car is so clean, I hope mine looks half as good as his when I'm done.

Cool car,you have the same vision I had.I,ve already done the brakes,rearend,motor/tranny(360/904)trans-go 2 kit with 2500 stall,Spitfire headers,2 1/2 inch exhaust,14 inch rallys on front,15,s on back with 255/60/15.I,m replacing the springs with XHD(air shocks now)also doing a mini-tub,spring relocation kit and 8 point cage.Seems we,ve had the same ideas.Here,s some before and after pics of mine..

P.S Great that your son will learn at such an early age.

DSC_0435.jpg

trim 013.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 002.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 015.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 017.jpg

Wow! Pettybludart, it does seem like we have the same ideas! I checked out your spring relocation thread, there is ALOT of useful info on there. I gotta get my Dart back together, then wait for warm weather and I can start on the Valiant! Right now, I don't have a garage, so I'll spend all winter dreaming and planning lol. I can't believe the difference in looks the bigger wheels/tires made on your car. Depending on how my money situation is by then, I may go with the same type of rear suspension as you, but I am curious about the caltracs as well. I'll probably go with some aftermarket steel wheels in the back, paint em' black with the factory hubcaps. I kind of want to dress the 408 up like a 273 commando! For now, I'll fix the rust, get the suspension in order, and leave the slant in it so I can still drive it. It may be a while before I can do the engine/trans.

Maybe when you're finished it you and memike can have a race!
Seriously, that car will look awesome when you are done. Cudos to your 8 year old son wanting to jump in with dad on a project allready! :cheers:
How did I miss this thread =P~ That is a very nice 66 valiant metallidart congrat's:cheers: If we are going to race next year I will need at lest 10 lengths to the 1/8 mile 8)
And I thought Keith and I had the only 66 Valiant Sedan :-D
Keep us updated and Victoria and I will keep an eye on your build

Here we are together :cheers:

P1010021.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20002.jpg

Thanks memike!! And I'll give you the car lengths you want...hope its not TOO many! Haha. I have to say, the first thing I thought of when I saw this for sale was Victoria and 66340sedan's Valiant. For some reason, I love the 66 post cars. Maybe because I don't see too many? I plan on taking lots of pics just for this site, I wish I would have taken more pics of my Dart so I could post them. I'm thinking of tinkering with the car today! Btw, memike, you know anyone who would want a 45K mile 225 cube out of my 66? :-D
P1010044.jpg

Nice Dart.....Looks like there's a few of us wanting to go old school 4-speed....!!!!!!!!

Rickster

Thanks memike!! And I'll give you the car lengths you want...hope its not TOO many! Haha. I have to say, the first thing I thought of when I saw this for sale was Victoria and 66340sedan's Valiant. For some reason, I love the 66 post cars. Maybe because I don't see too many? I plan on taking lots of pics just for this site, I wish I would have taken more pics of my Dart so I could post them. I'm thinking of tinkering with the car today! Btw, memike, you know anyone who would want a 45K mile 225 cube out of my 66? :-D
P1010044.jpg

Is that a super six intake? If so do you want to sell it?

Tim

-
Back