Finally Done: Big Block 4 Speed Dart

-

684door

Reaction score
Finally done. After about 6 months of struggle, I finally got my 383 big block and 4 speed installed in my 4 door 68 Dart. This conversion is not for the faint of heart. The engine is not bad with the conversion mounts, however, the 4 speed linkage and headers are a struggle. Everything is fighting for the same space, steering, headers, starter, and z bar. The z bar is a special unit from tti. It needed some modification along with every other piece to make this install work. As soon as you would solve one issue, another would arise. I can't imagine doing the big block swap with a 440. Now that it is done, I love it. The stance is a little higher in front to give a nod to junior stockers of the past, E/S markings, and drag news decals give the car a flavor nostalgia. The 383 was built a little better than stock and 3.91 gears fill the 8 3/4 housing. Can't wait to row through the gears all summer long. Thanks to those who have helped with problems throughout the build.

Attachments

• DSCN5235.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 737
  • DSCN5227.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCN5225.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 741
Here is an updated picture of my Dart. It is done up in a junior stock vibe. Runs great. I dealt with a bad wheel hop issue and solved it by raising the snubber and clamping the springs. Can't wait to run it at the track next spring. Hoping for low 13'S. 383 cu.in. 3.91 gears 2.66 4 speed
Really gets a lot of looks especially at nostalgia events.

View attachment 20150927_153655.jpg

That's sweet,"something a little different..." Rani,would like this...

Love it I thought I was the only one! Must be a PA thing. Looks fantastic!

yea, a more-door Dart hot rod! too cool! I'll bet you surprise a bunch of Chebbiez and Ferdz! Good stuff! and congrats!

How is it to drive outside of town with the 3.91 gears in the back?
Very nice build.

Not bad at all. The rear tires are 27.4 in high. At 60 mpg I am about 2800 rpm. I used to run 4.88 geats on the street when I ran a built 273 cu in. Those were a little crazy. All right for street driving but not a long distance gear. The 3.91 in my book is a great gear.

I was all set to nag about the black engine comp't till I saw the round marker lights. Then I thought, wait, there's one on the front fender.

Nice ride.

AWESOME! Hauls groceries and *** too. Gotta love it

That's an extremely cool car you built sir. I laugh now, years back all we did with four doors was drive them or cannibalize them for parts then junk them. The black engine bay looks great too, nice touch by keeping the body color above the seam on the fire wall. Are you having overheating issues running without a fan shroud? One more question, was the car that clean when you bought it or is that restored?

The car was a 28000 mile car when I got it. It now has 40000 miles on it. I had it painted over 20 years ago. Still looks great. No over heating issues due to the BeCool rad.thanks for the compliments. The car is a blast to drive and gets lots of attention because it is so different.

-
Back