FINALLY!! Fresh M/T ET Street S/S’s

-

12many

Reaction score
About time. Finally! Seems like I’ve waited over a year for a set of these 255/60-15’s to be available. Called M/T early last year and they had no timeline but said they were working on supply. Watched the usual vendors over that period, yet nothing! Lo and behold I check Summit this past Wednesday and they show 1 left in stock. Son of a *****! Looked on eBay and found a set from

“McCormack Racing”

in Michigan. Better pricing than Summit and most others I’ve seen. Ordered and two days later they are in my shop. Kudus to McCormack for the excellent service and pricing (and FedEx not f’n up somehow)

Freshest tires for anything I’ve ever bought, car, truck or motorcycle: 50th week of 2022. Damn I thought they’d never make them again!
Ready for 2023!
:steering:

FFB25E39-781E-48BA-A6C0-1860BDF6F20A.jpeg

B4EA2146-811E-43CD-AB91-7571F1DBC6B6.jpeg

Nice!! What tires are your replacing? I only ask because I'm curious how close in size they are to a true 255/60, or if they're any bigger. I've got 275/60 Cooper Cobras that I'd like to replace with the same size M/T ET Street S/S's, but I have zero extra room.

Nice!! What tires are your replacing? I only ask because I'm curious how close in size they are to a true 255/60, or if they're any bigger. I've got 275/60 Cooper Cobras that I'd like to replace with the same size M/T ET Street S/S's, but I have zero extra room.
They are slightly taller and wider than the street radial 255/60-15’s that I’ve had (Cooper Cobra) and have (Vitour GT)
Not 1/2 way between 275/60 and 255/60 mind you, I’d say just a little plumper than the street 255’s
I’ve got rims for the Vitour street tires and rims for the track use only M/T’s.

About time. Finally! Seems like I’ve waited over a year for a set of these 255/60-15’s to be available. Called M/T early last year and they had no timeline but said they were working on supply. Watched the usual vendors over that period, yet nothing! Lo and behold I check Summit this past Wednesday and they show 1 left in stock. Son of a *****! Looked on eBay and found a set from

“McCormack Racing”

in Michigan. Better pricing than Summit and most others I’ve seen. Ordered and two days later they are in my shop. Kudus to McCormack for the excellent service and pricing (and FedEx not f’n up somehow)

Freshest tires for anything I’ve ever bought, car, truck or motorcycle: 50th week of 2022. Damn I thought they’d never make them again!
Ready for 2023!

View attachment 1716043962

View attachment 1716043963
I've bought all my avatar's tires from McCormack. Straight up guy, great selection, delivers on what he says without issues or drama. I highly recommend them!

What is it like to drive around on tires like these? Does it make the rear end feel unusually disconnected? I know they are not acceptable for use on the front axle so I assume that comes down to sidewall integrity...

The "Woke" tire company?

Ok. Enough with the culture war stuff. It's not 2020 anymore. Nobody cares.

What is it like to drive around on tires like these? Does it make the rear end feel unusually disconnected? I know they are not acceptable for use on the front axle so I assume that comes down to sidewall integrity...

Ok. Enough with the culture war stuff. It's not 2020 anymore. Nobody cares.
It's like driving on regular radials.

IMO, No different than typical street radials, in the dry. Stiff sidewalls, handle in turns the same. I never drove in the wet and now I swap to them for track use only as they are so expensive and wear way too fast to drive around wasting them on the street anymore. But when I did run them on the street I could blow them up all the way to 3rd, from a stop or slower rolls, unless there was feathering of the throttle.
A 60/40 weight bias has some bearing. But my van would stay straight all the while and eventually hook. (Street radials it was/is always this: :steering:to the point of being terrifying as losing control is eminent)
Even with the drag radials for me Matting it was pointless. Stopped that nonsense and only did WOT runs from 2nd from moderate rolls and usually hooked. At the track as most know they dead hook with just a little heat in them out of the box. At least from my experience

Last edited:
Mine last 2 seasons if I don't do big burnouts on the sandpaper roads. If I hit it from a stop it'll spin one revolution then hook hard.

“McCormack Racing”

Ready for 2023!

View attachment 1716043962

View attachment 1716043963
Interesting that Summit shows those tires as traction "C" while the BFG tires are "A". My rear BFG's have *terrible* traction!

I agree that driving with drag radials on dry roads feels the same as regular radials except with more traction. But be careful on wet roads, especially in heavy rain at high speeds.

Michigan roads are generally not good, unless they were just replaced. The asphalt sections get ruts and any tire feels weird in those ruts in the rain. With drag radials there is more contact with less tread or grooves in the tire. They lose traction easily in those ruts, especially if the ruts are holding water.

I got loose once at 70 mph on the freeway driving at steady speed in the rain. Never any trouble on dry roads.

Evidently, unless you’re running 10s, you’re wasting your money on these. People are running low 11s on stock F70-14 bias ply tires these days.

IMO, No different than typical street radials, in the dry. Stiff sidewalls, handle in turns the same. I never drove in the wet and now I swap to them for track use only as they are so expensive and wear way too fast to drive around wasting them on the street anymore. But when I did run them on the street I could blow them up all the way to 3rd, from a stop or slower rolls, unless there was feathering of the throttle.
A 60/40 weight bias has some bearing. But my van would stay straight all the while and eventually hook. (Street radials it was/is always this: :steering:to the point of being terrifying as losing control is eminent)
Even with the drag radials for me Matting it was pointless. Stopped that nonsense and only did WOT runs from 2nd from moderate rolls and usually hooked. At the track as most know they dead hook with just a little heat in them out of the box. At least from my experience
Have you tried the M/T Pro's instead of the the S/S?
My buddy car swears by the Pro's, he said his S/S were like driving on ice in comparison.

Evidently, unless you’re running 10s, you’re wasting your money on these. People are running low 11s on stock F70-14 bias ply tires these days.
.... and they would probably be low 10's (or faster!) on REAL tires. There is LOTS of science, trial and error, and money, in a fast F.A.S.T. car.

Have you tried the M/T Pro's instead of the the S/S?
My buddy car swears by the Pro's, he said his S/S were like driving on ice in comparison.
Really see no need to try anything else as they dead hook, are consistent and I have my chassis pretty dialed in. I’ve run a few 1.54 60”s with a too loose converter and 1.59’s with my current converter (that et’s and mph’s much better)

Evidently, unless you’re running 10s, you’re wasting your money on these.
I disagree. Completely. No offense, but I couldn’t care less what other people are doing with tires like that or anything similar. I’m not running my 67 van down the track at 114+ mph on skinny *** tires like those or anything else other than what I run. Cold or hot weather.

Last edited:
Last year MT was bought by Goodyear
...and Goodyear, who also owned Dunlop, Fulda, Falken, and Kelly, bought Cooper, and Cooper subsidiaries, M/T, Avon, and Mastercraft.
I think there might even be one or two other names, sold by walmart.
(Sure hope Goodyear don't f#@k up M/T drag tires.....)

I disagree. Completely. No offense, but I couldn’t care less what other people are doing with tires like that or anything similar. I’m not running my 67 van down the track at 114+ mph on skinny *** tires like those or anything else other than what I run. Cold or hot weather.

Actually, we agree. I was being sarcastic.
While people actually are turning absurd times on tires that are broadly credited with the reason that muscle cars have pathetic published acceleration times, it's not applicable to anything outside a prepped track.

I guess if you put enough glue down on the track, you could run on the bare rims and turn a good time.

Last edited:
-
Back