finally painted - 72 scamp

-

DOMINANTmopar

Reaction score
Hi all,

This scamp almost killed me with all the work I put into it but it is finally in paint. F3 single stage enamel. I had to paint it twice because I just wasn't happy with the results the first time around. I missed too many flaws. This time I think I got it right. Just waiting for the paint to cure more before I start wet sanding and wheeling it out.

Now it's time to start putting parts on so I can drive it a little while before snow flies. Front seat is in and the bumpers along with some little odds and ends. Once the snow comes I will dig in and put it all together.

Attachments

• resized scamp 1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 274
  • resized scamp 2.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 261
The shine will come in time. I want to let the paint cure completely before i use abrasives.

Thanks guys. I will be posting pics as put stuff on. Right now i just wanna drive her.

it is alot easier to cut and buff now,but now the longer the paint is on it is alot harder to move the material. if i were you, id cut/buff now without all the trim in the way

I do agree with you 340 plot. Im only putting enough parts on to drive it. No trim or rear seat, etc..or other unnecessary parts.

F3 is a metallic if i remember correctly and if you used single stage enamel with-out clear coat you can not sand a single stage metallic it will mess it up you can only buff it. You can only sand non metallic single stage enamels not metallics

Its a metallic color, You arent suppose to cut and buff single stage metallic. It will make the paint look blotching.

cool color, cool car.

But I got to say.....why are you in a rush to drive it?....I am also in michigan.....and I gave up on finishing my duster around the middle of september because i knew cold weather was coming. looks like you will be hurrying up and getting it ready to drive just in time for snow lol. not knocking ya....just saying,snow will be flying soon so you may aswell finish it all up now and plan on breaking it out done and ready in the spring. Thats what I am doing with my duster.

I put the bumpers and signals on and took it for its first ride tonight. I hate just staring at it if i know i can drive it. I have all winter to take my time and make it pretty. If our michigan weather is anything like last year i can drive the car into december. Thats a lot more driven.

I would like some more clarification on the wet sanding and buffing of single stage metallic. I have wet sanded and wheeled some small spots on cars before and they came out like glass. So how do some of you guys propose making this car shine like crazy? There are spots with some dry spray. How do you get rid of that......or orange peel? Let me know. Im always willing to learn. If you have plenty of paint and you sand the imperfections out cant you get a good shine after wheeling?

Hi all,

This scamp almost killed me with all the work I put into it but it is finally in paint. F3 single stage enamel. I had to paint it twice because I just wasn't happy with the results the first time around. I missed too many flaws. This time I think I got it right. Just waiting for the paint to cure more before I start wet sanding and wheeling it out.

Now it's time to start putting parts on so I can drive it a little while before snow flies. Front seat is in and the bumpers along with some little odds and ends. Once the snow comes I will dig in and put it all together.

:thumblef:

the problem with wet sanding single stage metallic paint is that like others said, it will leave splotchy looking areas because its actually sanding the color off the metallic flakes in the paint . I have also seen people do it and buff it and you could run your hand down the paint and feel all of the flakes in the paint ....where from sanding and buffing it removed the paint around the metal flake but didnt remove the flake at the same rate as the surrounding paint.

where as if you had a clear coat over a metallic paint those issues wouldnt happen because you would be cutting and polishing the top coat and not the base so it wouldnt cut into the metallic portion.

im no expert but I would say you only real options would be to polish it up and get it as shiney as possible or a respray. or deal with it how it is.

to look at it in the pictures though it still looks pretty good!. all depends on what kind of a fit and finish your going for I guess.

And for what it counts....I have a feeling that the snow will start falling here by november. it already been miserable weather here the last couple weeks as i am sure you know lol.

id love to have got my duster done this year and been able to drive it....but now is no time to rush or else it will show in the quality. so i am just going to take my time and finish up the few odds and ends I have left and bust it out in the spring.

check out my build thread if you havent seen it yet ( link in signature below )....would be cool to set up a michigan fabo meet some day, i know theres alot of members in an around michigan.

adam is right. i didnot notice it was metalic

I guess if the paint is dull and had had some dry spots you may as well cut and buff it anyways. It should be smooth and shiny even before being buffed out. Technically some guys will tell you not to even compound metallic single stage because compound is still an abrasive and can have the same effect.

Start with some 1500, then 3000,m then buff it with a wool pad. Hope for the best.

ok thanks for your input guys. I will just hope for the best and see how it comes out. If all else fails I will just paint it again in a solid or different color. This is definitely going to be a costly lesson if I cant get it to come out nice. I am no painter by any means and I had no idea about the metallic single stage paints as far as sanding and buffing.

I read on some forums last night that a light sanding and polishing can be done.

-
Back