finally ran the car at the track

-

73dodge

Reaction score
I only got one run at englishtown, the car ran 13.1 @ 102 mph. the car is a 1969 plymouth valiant. 390 hp 408 " stroker, 904 trans and 3.54 dana. The car weighs 3475 with me in it. I ran bf goodrich street radials and they really suck. I'm happy with how hard the car pulls all the way down the track, but i had to launch at 2000 rpm and ease it out of the hole. what do you guys think? What would be the difference with drag radials? Most people at the track tell me i should be running mid twelves, is that realistic?

The mph shows around 12.90-13.0s, so I'd say you're close. 390hp isnt a lot. I would put on real slicks so you can floor it out of the hole and have it stick. First gear is your friend. What were the 60' time?

Mid 12's are possible, but your going to have to work your way down. Things like car weight, how track oriented it is in it's set up, suspension, tires, amount of fuel you carry, what's in the trunk, where the battery is, etc.......

If your not going in that direction, then a wouldn't worry to much about the time "They say it should run" and just focus on what you have as best as you can.

Drag radials rock! A fella pulled up in his goat at a local meet and was smileing about his Mickeys. We talked a bit and he said, "Hell, just poke'em with your finger" It reminded me of the tracks floor at the line, soft and gooooie. You'll like'em.

I had no luck with the bfgs,had to baby them off the line no matter what,I switched to mts and ran a 1.68 60 immediately with 28 psi.I would think with tuning you should be able to run somewhere in the mid 12s around 106 mph with that engine.In my experience the mph can be a little decieving in realtion to e.t.s when your running bigger tourqe numbers in realtion to max h.p.,but you have to get them to hook off the line.

Yes,get yourself a pair of m/t drag radials you'll deffinately see and feel a difference,i'd also go with more gear..what stall speed is your converter?? i'd go with atleast a 3000...390 is'nt much h.p. for a stroker...

Just something to consider: There is the possibility that the car has more MPH capability. What I mean is, if the 13.0 is a good e.t. for 102 mph, you can be fooled into thinking all's well. If there's a fuel delivery problem or valve float, etc., maybe it should have gone 105 mph, if all was well. Are you a new racer? Sometimes, a new driver will take his foot off at the wrong spot on the top end. Giving a low, false mph. Now, the e.t. isn't low enough.
A street car's e.t. won't be as low as it could be for a given mph, because the car isn't set-up as such. I'm thinking you might be losing something, somewhere. Leaving at 2000, spinning or babying the gas won't produce the lowest e.t. for a given mph.
I hope I r clear!

-
Back