Finding that Old Ride!!!

-

Stonecold63

Reaction score
I thought I would thro this out to the gang and see what answers I could come up with. If I was going to try and find my old Dodge Dart that I drove back in High School and I don't have any of the records from 30 years ago. How would one go about trying to find that car? I would love to see what happened to my old '74 Dodge Dart 360 Sport. It was Black with Black trim and Black strip down the side. Looking forward to hear what suggestions you all have.

Thanks,
Stonecold63

The DMV in your old hometown should still be able to pull the VIN from their archived vehicle registration records.
Also, if you made a loan to buy it, that info should be available from the bank or loan company, though with all the bank and S&L buyouts and closures, you'll probably have to do some digging.
Another source would be your old insurance company.

Mind you, if you go to any of these sources, you might get an argument, but the info should be archived.

I talked with my dad and it was in his name when I drove it back in school and he thinks he may still have some records on it. My mom never threw anything away. We will see what he comes up with.

Isn't Alabama a non title state on the old cars? Just wondering... Previous owners is where I'd start if DMV has nothing on it..

That is correct but only for 71 (I think) and earlier cars. My 68 fish had not had an AL tag on it for several years, since the historic vehicle tag no longer let the car on the streets except for parades. When I went down there with the VIN # they had no records. registering the car in my name and getting a tag was simply a matter of having a hand scrawled bill of sale and about $120. I think they cared more about the mponey than me really buying the car from the real owner.

A 74 may be OK. Maybe try looking at this site:

http://www.license-plate-search.org/

GreenHornet, I think you are correct on the title on old cars. MY mom has all tag receipts and Bill of sales, so maybe I can find out who we sold it to. We have my wifes old high school car a '63 Valiant Convert that we are working on. It would be nice to have our old Mopars that we had from the good ol days!!!!

DMV can't give records out of where the car may be. They (law makers etc...) See it as a posyentail of a sicko chasing down a car to steal or a person trying to track down someone who drives the car for revenge.

-
Back