Custom Comp Cams solid flat tappet, idles at 750-800 rpm
Hughes Engines 1.6 rocker arms
Scat rods
SRP flat top pistons
Stock forged crankshaft
572 lb-ft @ 3,800 rpm and 593 hp @ 5,900 rpm
Start of dyno pull @ 3,000 rpm = 492 lb-ft
End of dyno pull @ 6,100 rpm = 496 lb-ft

Should make an A-body run pretty good but I hear it is going into a 1972 Satellite.

Attachments

• Zach Dyno 026.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 650
How do you think the victors compare to the trickflows? I know the victors have much more potential.

How do you think the victors compare to the trickflows? I know the victors have much more potential.

The Trick Flow is a much more refined cylinder head and less expensive to use. I've not ported a Trick Flow head yet so there is no telling what they may be capable of vs the Victor.

Nice as usual, Jim. Thanks for sharin.

Solid camshaft intake duration of 255 @ .050, the equivalent of 242 @ .050 hydraulic.

Nice build but I bet it took some work (and money) to make it happen! Last time I tangled with those Victor heads I decided to stop using them.

I talked a guy out of using Victor heads for a build like that last summer. He wanted to use the Victor heads but we finally convinced him that he could get the same results for a lot less money by using the RPM heads. These days I'd talk him into the Trick Flow heads.

"(and money)" It takes an engine builder to really recognize that fact.

Yep Andy, the customer wanted the Victor heads and we planned the build before the Trick Flows were available. The raised ports of the Victor heads were part of the customers mock up scheme for the next engine so we went with the Victors. But I do agree that the Trick Flows could have been correct for this type of build.

Nice build but I bet it took some work (and money) to make it happen! Last time I tangled with those Victor heads I decided to stop using them.

I talked a guy out of using Victor heads for a build like that last summer. He wanted to use the Victor heads but we finally convinced him that he could get the same results for a lot less money by using the RPM heads. These days I'd talk him into the Trick Flow heads.

The thing that chaps my butt on the Edelbrock heads, especially the Victors, is the damn oil hole to feed the rockers that they make almost 1/4" in diameter. Then they don't bother to drill the hole straight and the port wall is so off center that when you just touch that side of the intake port with a burr it breaks through into the oil and you have to sleeve the oil passage. I called Edelbrock about it and asked why they don't drill a .125" or even smaller hole and make it straight through the middle of the wall between the intake ports like Trick Flow does?

"Hey I will get right back to you on that," they sez!

But nobody took my phone number, mailing address or email address, so I wondered how they were going to get in touch with me, 'cause I know I'm not that famous. One month and no word.

Trick Flow is lookin' better all the time.

I didn't even know about that problem. My beef with the Victor heads is that Edelbrock designed a head that has great flow up past 0.800 lift but then they stuck a little short valve in the head with a super wimpy valve spring. The TF head comes out of the box ready to run 0.700 lift and with a simple valve spring change you can run more than 0.800 lift. No machine work required, just swap some parts.

The Victor head was a nice concept but something fell apart in the execution. I worked with some early heads and they had very poor pushrod clearance, the valve cover gasket area was machined wrong, and the valley plate was bit of a joke. Maybe things are better now, I haven't touched a Victor head in a couple of years now.

The problems still exist Andy, they still exist. The only one I haven't had is the one with the valve cover gasket area. The heads don't flow as good OOTB as they did years ago. The pushrod clearance is still a problem. The only way to get the valley plate to seal is add a 1/4" x 1" flat bar down the length of the plate and bolt through it to pull the valley plate tight against the head.

I make billet valley plates for the Victor head for Hughes Engines. If you ever want to try one of those on an engine just shoot me a note. The billet plate requires RTV to seal up but they are machined for a tight fit against the heads so it should just be a skim coat of RTV. All depends on the machine work though.

-
Back