Fire wall moving

-

whiteeagle

Reaction score
I keep hearing say they had to move their firewall in early A bodies to make room for a 318. What did you do about the windsheild wiper motor?

I don't know where you "keep hearing" that but it's..............wrong.

umm not on a 63... you have to remove the wiper motor and make that area flat to make room for the dizzy...

So, after removing the w/wiper mechanism and flattening the firewall in a '63 do ya need to find a '64 wiper setup, or one of those hotrod style universal (yeah, RIGHT!) cable operated wiper setups??

BC

So, after removing the w/wiper mechanism and flattening the firewall in a '63 do ya need to find a '64 wiper setup, or one of those hotrod style universal (yeah, RIGHT!) cable operated wiper setups??

BC

the 63 I have that was modded for a small block doesn't have wipers lol

The 61 and 62 cars have the smallest engine bay a little narrow and a little shorter than the 64 up cars. , 63 cars are the same width as 64 up cars but not as long. 63 cars need a bit of massaging to clear the distributor but not to bad. This is what I have found.

Thanks for the response, kid. In Phoenix, I guess folks just stop and stare in amazement at that mysterious stuff falling from the sky in conditions that
most of the rest of us call "rain".

Unfortunately, a thousand miles East of you, it DOES "rain" occasionally and the state of Texas requires windshield wipers to be tested during the
annual safety inspection.

So, has anyone actually done this?? I got some pics from a MOPAR friend in Sweden (I think) showing his '63 A body firewall mods, but no info on w/wipers.
I'd bet that they do get some use where he is!

At present, I'm pretty well committed to a /6 for my 'AZ2Dart. But inquiring minds want to know...

BC

Thanks for reporting your findings, Kieth! I've been fairly creative with the BFH tool, but I'd guess taking the wiper mechanism out before the massage would be recommended.
Maybe getting a measurement of the clearance between the w/wiper stuff and the firewall first?

My '63 is in storage right now, and inaccessible at present. I wonder if dropping a small block on the motor mounts without a distributor in place, then surveying the space available.
Using a dizzy without the shaft to fit into place, removing the cap and massaging then checking the fit and repeat 'til it's right. Than smoothing painting, and DONE! I'm probably overthinking this, but a little more guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

BC

BC

I keep hearing say they had to move their firewall in early A bodies to make room for a 318. What did you do about the windsheild wiper motor?

I'm not sure what year early A you have, but the one in my profile picture is a 1966 with factory v8. no firewall isn't different or moved, it has wipers

who would want to remove the wipers? what happens if it rains?

He is working on a 63'
WE, you will need a 64-65 wiper motor,trans and inner firewall mount. I can help you with those parts as well.

When I read the title of your post, I thought you had a very bad rust issues. LOL

Not the same thing, but we took a 65 wiper motor bracket and motor and installed them under the dash of my son's 67 Dart convertible. This was done for air cleaner and air box clearance (69 Super Bee stuff). It all hooked up to the 67 wiper transmission and has worked great since the install ten or so years ago.

There's no reason that the same principles that worked for us couldn't be done on the 63. It's just a matter of getting the parts and doing the work.

-
Back