Fireside Valiant chat

-
I heard rumors Miss Rainy is working on dropping a SB into something!!! I bet she still has a stable full of slants though!

I think one thing that appeals to us about the Valiant ( or any early and low cost A body) is the simplicity of it all, especially with the god ole leaning tower of power.

I heard rumors Miss Rainy is working on dropping a SB into something!!! I bet she still has a stable full of slants though!

I think one thing that appeals to us about the Valiant ( or any early and low cost A body) is the simplicity of it all, especially with the god ole leaning tower of power.
I don't know anything about her doing a V8 , maybe in here other car, I like these early A's, like you said simple and low cost to start out in, I like the under 3.000lb part of them as well :thumbsup:

Hope she responds. It's been awhile. Love to know how it's going.

Thanks.

It has been going slow, because I lost so much garage time in summer of 17 and the winter of 17 was no car anything.

Now its almost summer of 18 so I am hoping to get somewhere.

I have been needing to update because I am almost finished with the engine. I bought a cam from a fabo member who gave up on his slant six build. This valiant is staying slant six no matter what :)

I have other V8 cars and big blocks, so I need at least one slanty car and what better than a slanty valiant. :)

Me too. Bound and determined to have another Slant car.Started getting my parts together.

Rani,
I have a complete ball and trunion driveshaft out of a b-body that I had a local driveshaft shop rebuild in the mid 80’s.
It has very little run time because I wrecked the car shortly after.
Pm me if you are interested, cheap.

I had lost this thread. To the top with it!

Now get that housework wrapped up and back onto cars. :) :lol:

So this valiant is still around but got put on the back burner after I took the fenders off and discovered they are full of bondo and not in very good shape.

So In January of 2019, I got ahold of a really clean front wraparound, only thing is it's from a 65. I can't find replacement 63 parts so I am thinking of staying with the 65 parts from this parts car.

IMG_6045 - Copy.jpg

So with the front end swapped to the wagon, I am not sure if I should build a 65 or simply a 63 with a 65 front end.

I also have the complete 65 dash, again I am really in a dilemma deciding which setup to use

20181227_143756.jpg

You are an impressive person.

This world needs more women like you. I hope you are taking your cars to shows and showing the young ladys what can be done and expressing to them that working on cars and enjoying cars is ok while teaching them that cars are not just for guys/men.

I think you could use your hobby to help enlighten a lot of little princess.

Good on ya and keep up the great work!

Heres me doing my part. This little one loves the race car. She loves wearing the shop sweaters, sitting in the car, playing with the shifter and going for drives.

20180721_190255_zpsftvcgtce.jpg

20180721_190309_zpsgjbmk0tz.jpg

You are an impressive person.

This world needs more women like you. I hope you are taking your cars to shows and showing the young ladys what can be done and expressing to them that working on cars and enjoying cars is ok while teaching them that cars are not just for guys/men.

I think you could use your hobby to help enlighten a lot of little princess.

Good on ya and keep up the great work!
in just a few years I have seen the industry change. when I was in auto school, I was the only one. Now I see the class rooms filled with a much bigger female presence. In the end we are all gear heads.

Means a lot coming from you because I see you as quite a high speed fabber and mechanic.

so I currently have the parts to either go with a 65 valiant or the original 63 dash.

Part of me doesn't like the 63 because the gauge pods are so uneven and not smooth to the eye. but they also give an older look and are much simpler and go well with a lo option plain jane car look.

On the other hand, the 65 dash is easier on the eye with balance and heater controls not hanging out of the bottom real awkward. this dash seems to go more with the loaded and expensive sportscar look.

the other advantage of the 65 is that bezel and parts are re-popped so finding new replacements is going to be easier unlike the 63

these pics somewhat show the difference first one is a 65 from the net and second pic is original 63 dash in my car

CC16-BUG-interior-Val-175.jpg

CIMG0264.JPG

Last edited:
so I currently have the parts to either go with a 65 valiant or the original 63 dash.

Part of me doesn't like the 63 because the gauge pods are so uneven and not smooth to the eye. but they also give an older look and are much simpler and go well with a lo option plain jane car look.

On the other hand, the 65 dash is easier on the eye with balance and heater controls not hanging out of the bottom real awkward. this dash seems to go more with the loaded and expensive sportscar look.

the other advantage of the 65 is that bezel and parts are re-popped so finding new replacements is going to be easier unlike the 63

these pics somewhat show the difference first one is a 65 from the net and second pic is original 63 dash in my car

View attachment 1715383174

View attachment 1715383176

Did u ever get the valiant wagon finished ? Like to see pics of it too !

I think the ‘65 dash from a Signet or 200 looks better with the three spoke faux wood steering wheel.
The best early dash is the ‘66 Barracuda.

I vote to keep the 63 a 63. Parts will always turn up after you dismissed it. ORrrrr.... I say fix those bondo fenders, buy a bunch ($$$$) of sheetmetal working stuff and go after it!!
Easy for me to say!!

Oh on a ‘65 Valiant you can install a ‘65 Barracuda grill!
I am still learning what interchanges and what doesn't on early As

Thanks

Are the heater boxes the same from 63 to 65. So if I use the 65 dash, will I need a 65 heater box or can I use the 63 one.??

I as recently told by a Tx boneyard that does all old stuff, and very knowledgable, that 67- 76 A bodies use the same heater box, the cables, controls might be some different, so I bet 63-6 will be the same heater box.

After bringing it in and starring at it for 2 hours.... and hearing a few friend's opinions lol

I am going with the 65 dash.

It's so balanced and easy on the eye. Plus the trim will look complete with the bucket seats.

So sitting in the car will feel like being in a 65 barracuda, especially with the wood grain steering wheel and the four speed shifter

20190823_211026.jpg

plymouth 1965 Barracuda-04-05.jpg

3206820031_large.jpg

Of course we've all seen mine, but here it is again.

It went from this......

FLOORPAN.jpg

...to this......

FLOORPANS FINISHED.jpg

.....to this........which is where I am currently. More to come when this heat breaks a little.

SOUND DEADENER FLOOR.jpg

After bringing it in and starring at it for 2 hours.... and hearing a few friend's opinions lol

I am going with the 65 dash.

It's so balanced and easy on the eye. Plus the trim will look complete with the bucket seats.

So sitting in the car will feel like being in a 65 barracuda, especially with the wood grain steering wheel and the four speed shifter

View attachment 1715383632

View attachment 1715383633

View attachment 1715383634
At the point you decide not to go all original, I say game on. Put in whatever you like :thumbsup:

At the point you decide not to go all original, I say game on. Put in whatever you like :thumbsup:
It's kinda weird how when you buy a project car, you can't really be sure how it will turn out. It develops its own personality as time goes on and things happen and things change.

-
Back