Fireside Valiant chat

-
the cool thing is ball and trunion 4 speeds are cheap when you find them because hardly anyone wants them LOL

I am figuring that to add a 4 speed option is costing me around 600 bucks over using a 3 speed I already had.

I doubt I will regret it later so its just money and the money wont mean anything 5 years from now :)

couple things bout the "ball and trunion" trans, drive shaft shops an make a cool conversion for it where thy use spicer stuff for a joint to attach to the hub. costs a few bills no doubt. problem with that trunion on th driveshaft is findng a complete rebuild kit for it and getting that old pin out too. so, 2 good reasons that trunion 4 speed is not so great a score!
more pedal cars are always worth the extra work and $$ I figure! like you said, " its only money" ! ha

^^^^^^^^ Photo for you.You go girl,My sister and I both attended Auto Shop !!

IMG_1391.jpg

^^^^^^^^ Photo for you.You go girl,My sister and I both attended Auto Shop !!

View attachment 1715037953

That is exactly what I had in mind. The Spicer parts to adapt it. That isn't a very foreign concept to the 4 wheel rock crawlers and that crowd which is who gave me the idea. ( I am not into the rock crawly scene myself, but I like the way they innovate to make things work) The cool thing is those parts are available through jegs or summit which is cool because on these cars, availability is the name of the game

It is also pretty cheap to swap the 66-67 A body main shaft and tail housing. They are not in demand. The ball and trunion will last forever, the boot will fail.

***ding dong*** went the door bell

could it be ....could it be !!!!! yes, it is Christmas ....in April!!1!

I got it from Brewers performance.

Very expensive but Brewers is top notch and has what you need, bottom line. Pure mopar drug dealer LOL, has the good stuff.

CIMG0269.JPG

CIMG0275.JPG

image.gif

eb6898973dcd0a843cfb793da4b877ff_-is-magic-know-your-meme-beautiful-meme_510-385.jpg

like a kid with a new toy

Exactly, i kinda want to wrap it in pajama material and hug it while i sleep tonight.

For as much as it cost i just might to feel compete lol

When Brewers said it is heavy, they were not kidding.....this is a heavy chunk of iron.

:usflag:

I can just picture you on your back lifting it up and getting bolts started, gonna be tough

I can just picture you on your back lifting it up and getting bolts started, gonna be tough

yikes!! that is wayyy too heavy for me to try that.

I figured out long time ago to let the machine do the work and save your energy for having fun

CIMG1720.jpg

received the NOS tail light lenses in the mail from a fabo member. They even came in the original boxes from 63 :)

the picture shows dust on the lens but in person they are stunningly beautiful ...might have to take a better pic

CIMG0277.JPG

CIMG0278.JPG

I LOVE nos pieces like those!
Looks great.
And a lot quicker than making some.
Thanks to you for pointing out the ad here on fabo the night it came up.

I almost didn't do it because the seller didn't take PayPal. Not that i didn't trust him but money orders are a pain !!!!

Normally i won't do a money order and pass on the deal but this was a case where it was worth the hassle.

They really are gorgeous, just what is going to be needed when the car has new paint.

I am still not working on this car as of yet as i said in the first post but it sure has been an adventure collecting parts and making a plan :)

I like the set up of this thread where we can all chime in on these early A's for those of us that discovered these cars later in our hobby years. I bought a 64 that was supposed to be " All Done ". Three years later I'm still working on it. They are a blast...an absolute blast. Like when I didn't know how much tension was in the hood torsion bars and they launched the hood hinge like a ninja star narrowing missing my head and sticking into the wall on my garage. Or the time I got my arm stuck in the fenderwell headers trying to change the oil filter.......yep. Good times.....good times. They are like mini B bodies, just perfect. Looking forward to hearing from others working on these cars. Nice thread. Here is mine. Almost done. Just need to get a street legal exhaust, some new rear tires, and some final wiring.

20161216_142749_zpskzh5mehh.jpg

Thanks to you for pointing out the ad here on fabo the night it came up.

I almost didn't do it because the seller didn't take PayPal. Not that i didn't trust him but money orders are a pain !!!!

Normally i won't do a money order and pass on the deal but this was a case where it was worth the hassle.

They really are gorgeous, just what is going to be needed when the car has new paint.

I am still not working on this car as of yet as i said in the first post but it sure has been an adventure collecting parts and making a plan :)

I am glad that you are enjoying the lenses. I had been sitting on them 4 about 16 years since my first Valiant wagon build that got sold before got finished. Good to see that you got them and really like them. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned but I don't trust a lot of this online Commerce stuff. Perhaps someone can convince me otherwise.
Oh, my dog chewed up my title for the 63wagon that I was trying to sell and it wasn't in my name and it's out of state. I got the pieces of it that were scattered across the floor, but it still looks altered to me.

so I went back to the drawing board and decided on the ball and trunion four speed. Buying the OD unit is not a waste but I really did not need to buy that now. LOL

as far as the ball and trunion set up, I have all the pieces collected over the past two months.

now I just need a rebuild kit from brewers for the transmission and get that much closer

20170505_165538.jpg

20170505_211751.jpg

in the mean time I took the slant six down to see what I am working with

I found out that it is a formerly remanufactured engine by a company in Oregon.

It has been decked and bored out .30 over.

I am not sure what cam it has but I am strongly considering a new cam, just not sure what to buy yet because I don't really understand cam numbers and measurements.

The crank is at a shop now getting polished, it has been turned before ..... .030 under on the mains and .020 on the rods.

as soon as I get it back I am ordering new bearings.

The tale telling old bearings suggest this engine was remanufactured around 1993

20170505_165417.jpg

20170505_165436.jpg

20170505_165430.jpg

20170505_165450.jpg

CIMG0284.JPG

CIMG0285.JPG

20170505_165443.jpg

as seen in the pic, I put chemical stripper to remove the old blue paint ...it is a 1970 engine and had a decent coat of 1970 Chrysler blue on it

I need to experiment with engine paints and find the right Chrysler red for 1963

Hughes engines has a selection of Slant cams. I think they will be able to pick the right one for your combo.Give them a call. Nice photo of the pistons. They are much better than the factory "Beer" cans.

Wow ! moving right along :) and making great decisions on this great little 63 four speed early A :thumbsup: Congratulations Rainy.
Yesterday I heat cycled the POR 20 High heat paint in my Hooker Super comp headers, was a blast watching it with my red dot heat gun , because I could enjoy a cold beer as I heated each part to 190/200 degrees each in my bbg grill.:D. just another day on the hill enjoying our early A bodies .

You are on a super direction Rainy :thumbsup:

000003.jpg

000004.jpg

Hope she responds. It's been awhile. Love to know how it's going.

-
Back