Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires

-

Topless69

Reaction score
Is anyone running these tires? Some are called Firehawk Indy 500, others are Firehawk Wide Ovals. They have lots of sizes, widths & aspect ratios as well as a few different tread patterns. One pattern looks like A/S although they’re listed as summer tires, the other patterns seems to be high performance. If you’re using them please share your experience.
upload_2022-2-17_11-46-19.jpeg

upload_2022-2-17_11-48-24.jpeg

upload_2022-2-17_11-51-20.jpeg

View attachment 1715871774

I have a set like the first photo. Great tires. Good traction with a BB engine, can give it pretty good. Throttle from a standing start, it won’t blow them away like a T/A. Also good on the wet pavement. Smooth at 80 mph.

a MUCH better tire than the radial T/A.

for those who like a story. LOL. This got long.

I parked 7 cars on my grass hill for a gathering. I had to back up the grass hill to put them away. The only car with radial TA tires wouldn’t back up on the grass. I had to lay chains on the grass to get the car to not spin the tires. I couldn’t go forward, had to back up. Hill is gradual, not steep, but you have to give it some gas to move the car. Only one with any problem was with the BFG TA.

It was October 1st, 4PM, it had been dry overnight and was 80 degrees and sunny all day. Grass is my front lawn which is mowed at a normal height and smooth.

The cars are Basically stock 440, two with 4 speeds all with suregrips. 2.94, 3.23, and 3.54 ratio. The car with TA tires is a 440 automatic 3.23.

The tires I had are Firestone’s and cooper cobras. Then some older radials, Riken and Dunlop. All have 1/2 to full tread the TA’s are at least 3/4 tread. Look like new.

Last edited:
I like those.

Haven't seen them in years (decades).

Who sells them?

I have used both of the Firehawk model tires in the 2nd and 3rd photos on my modern Hemi Charger, the ones in the second photo (which appear sorta asymmetrical) are on the car now, 20" wheels. I've been satisfied with them as a street tire, I don't race the car or anything like that, and it lounges all winter in the garage so I cant say anything relative to snow performance.
I haven't seen the ones in the first photo for sale in a while, couldn't find them when i was looking for tires for the Dart last year.

Like @413, my Barracuda currently has the tires in the first photo. My impression is similar. They've stay softer and grippier than BFG's Radial T/A. Pretty good all-season tire, and that's basically what I needed for the pot hole ridden, busted up streets around here and also on gravel and dirt roads. Not too bad at the drag strip either although certainly not race tires.

If they're available again, that would be great.
For at least 5 or 6 years Firestone has using the name for a completely differently line.
Last I looked Cooper or General had an offering that looked like it might be comparable.

upload_2022-2-17_16-27-52.png

Try Simpletire.com

Thanks.

However, that site is atrocious to navigate.

They list about a dozen different FireHawk series, but trying to either open a link in a new window, or navigate back to pick a new series is ridiculously frustrating.

I see one series of wide oval is made by coker, and one series of 500 is discontinued.

I was unsuccessful in finding RWL before I gave up in frustration.

Found RWL FireHawks on ebay.

Looks like only 15" in 255/275/295

The 255 comes in 70 and 60 ratio.

Most were somewhere around $150 per tire.

I'm running 255/60/15 in back, but 215/70/14 up front.

I am running 255/60/15 out back and 215/65/15 up front. They are about 10 years old.

Discontinued and came back in just a few 15" sizes, all big. Originally came out about 1999. 14" and smaller 15" have been discontinued for some time. If you have those, check your DOT date codes. Over 5-7 years old ?, use for moving around the house or garage only. Not safe for the road, that applies to any brand of tire that is old regardless of remaining tread.

Discontinued and came back in just a few 15" sizes, all big. Originally came out about 1999. 14" and smaller 15" have been discontinued for some time. If you have those, check your DOT date codes. Over 5-7 years old ?, use for moving around the house or garage only. Not safe for the road, that applies to any brand of tire that is old regardless of remaining tread.
Yeah, if you need 255-295/60/15’s or a few other odd sizes they’ll work...getting to be a drag looking for new 15’s

I only do 55 mph, still ain’t scared.
The tires ain’t the concern, it’s the oncoming traffic “at any speed” on a two lane road that might cause concern, but I try and keep that in check.
And I do 114 Mph down the 1/4 mile in my tin can.....I still ain’t scared!

I ran the 60-series Firehawks on my Duster before I switched to the current 18" setup (car in my avatar pic). I really liked them, much better grip than the BFG T/As I was running previous to the Firehawks (bought them right before they were discontinued back in about 2010). Did better in rain and snow as well and had great wear characteristics. BFG T/As suck unless your car is strictly a show trailer queen or nice-weather cruiser.

I had them on my 2020 Mustang GT. Even with 325/30/19 on the rear, they didn’t hook all that great. IIRC, they were 330 treadwear…seems about right. The car felt fairly greasy during my autocross event but I don’t have anything to compare them to in that situation since I’ve only run that car once. In any case, the consensus seems to be that they are good tires for the money but not spectacular. This lines up with my experience.

I sold them with ~5000 miles and bought some Michelin PS4S which so far, seem to be better.

122188A7-F1AA-4BC5-BB9C-AE69F39D5A9C.jpeg

I am running 275 60 15 on my 71 Demon and my dad is running the same on his 69 Barracuda. We are both very happy with the Firestone Firehaek Indy 500 tires. We bought on Ebay.

20210713_183620.jpg

Resized952021060695154500.jpg

-
Back