Firewall clutch boot woes

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
So i was installing my firewall clutch boot last night. I bought one from Brewers. It came with a flaw in the neck where it touches the rod. Wayne at Brewers promptly sent out a replacement. So far so good.

So i decide to try installing the flawed boot as a practice run b/c the ends are so large on the rod. I soften the rubber in some hot water, ran the rod end on a wire wheel to insure no sharp edges that may cut the boot and put a very thin film of grease on it. Well, the boot ripped right at the flaw upon installation.

No problem i think. The boot was flawed. So i go through the same process on the good boot. AARRRRRGHHH! It ends up ripping in the exact same place.

I went back and looked at the boot i had taken off the donor car and it too was ripped (much worse) in the same place.

Can someone get me squared away here? I'm going to order another boot b/c I don't want wet feet, rusty floorboards or ruined carpet once this car is back together but this is just maddening.

Thanks

CE

Some of the replacement rubber parts are just JUNK. I replaced a shifter boot and several days later it had split 3 inches without the car or shifter ever moving. When we start making things in America again it will get better.
Yote

I had the same issue with a re-pop shift boot in the 75 dart. I ended up using the chrome B body bezel and a Chevy truck boot that actually works better and costs $20.

Accelerator Pedals, Pads and Floor Parts - 1970 Transfer case shift boot, 4x4

shift-boot-2-jpg.1714941932

same **** here....i tried a couple different clutch rod boots from different suppliers, and they just tear.

I wonder if there are any old stock firewall boots out there? Wonder if they'd be dry rotted?

Maybe I'll call dodge and see for fun.

At least im not alone

I bought 2 from brewers haven't installed the boot yet. bought two just incase one rips....

Man my junk yard clutch boot from tge 65 3-speed donor car worked just fine even being old as hell!

Meh. The replacement boots were no better than the ones I got originally. I don't know how to describe the consistency of the rubber, but it isn't good. I got two more boots. One tore upon installation. Using the hot water to soften the boot and greasing the rod as before. One thing I did notice is that there is a flashing of rubber around the boot hole. On the second boot I used a puch of the appropriate size to remove the flashing. That boot went on without tearing. it was as though once the flashing material started to tear, the rest of the boot tore too. Not happy, but what is the alternative. I don't think USA made parts are available.

I have had the same firewall boot problem...tearing over time. It is almost as if the new boots are not made to the correct shape.

-
Back