Firewall harness clips, should they stay, or should they go?

-

Jhenry70

Reaction score
Opinions needed... I'm working on the engine bay of my 72 Duster and I'm trying to decide if I want to knock off the factory harness retainers on the firewall, or keep them. I'm not going for all out show quality but I would like it to be nice and clean. What's the easiest way to remove these retainers, die grinder, cut off wheel? And what do you guys recommend as replacements that look good and function well? Anyone got pictures of what they've done?

Jerry

Build thread here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=303406

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 278
You can grind them off easily or work them back and forth several times and they might break off there only spot welded on ....you can always remove the old plastic and recoat them after paint with Plastic Dip to make them look "New". I removed mine and hid all the wiring but there are lots of options out there for replacements.

Attachments

• 075.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 247
I'm leaning toward replacing them but was wondering if there's anything out there other than the screw on rubber coated clips? Would be cool to find something that's got a nice look to it other than the run of the mill clips. I also thought about hiding most of the wiring as well... Where did you route everything?

You could look at something like the Earl's Billet fittings (pic 1). I ran all the wires down the inner fenders and there is a large 2" hole for the Fuel injection but it's hidden behind the block.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 024.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 015.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 218
  • 040.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 213
  • ear-170209erl_w.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 213
Im considering removing mine as well but using Adel clamps on all the electrical, fuel & brake lines. I was gonna just use aluminum pop rivets to attach them as well.

Attachments

• blob.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 184
clean like this ?

Attachments

• DSCF0415.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCF0281.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 177
Thanks guys for sharing the ideas and pics, all great ideas.

I was considering using the Adel clamps as well, not sure about pop rivets though, wouldn't it make it a pain for removal and re-installation for future issues?

Im considering removing mine as well but using Adel clamps on all the electrical, fuel & brake lines. I was gonna just use aluminum pop rivets to attach them as well.

:happy1: Subscribing I am looking to hide as much of the wireing as possible as I think it looks like crap.
f6.jpg

I am planning on using this loom. Started using it at work easy to use and looks factory

Aluminum rivets drill quite easily if the clamp needs to come off. How many time are they going to be removed thou? A stainless screw would work good as well.

I would go the stainless route either pop rivet or screw I would choose rivet. The Aluminum is easy to drill out but you have to be aware that Aluminum and steel don"t like each other and they corrode bad and in some cases quite quickly. You might be able to paint them to help this but I would just use stainless.

I used these clips on the brake lines and fuel with threadserts and black button head 1/4-20 bolts. If you rivet and need to remove with engine in,,,just sayin'.

-
Back